What to do in Tassie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythonmum

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
We are heading for Tasmania next April for 9 days and wondered what sites are not to be missed and which should be avoided. Anyone been there lately?

We are travelling as an extended family, so activities like full pack hikes across Cradle Mountain are out :lol:. We would like to see at least one good nature reserve and do some short hikes (1 - 2 hours), maybe a half-day cruise somewhere. (No jetboats)

Bring on the advice!!!!

I was just there......... Well Port Arthur is a great spot, specially the Devil place as you just heading towards Port Arthur. Wings Wildlife park is good! We did the Devils at Cradle which was awesome! The night tour is really fun! if you can try book a night at the park-extremely good.

That's all we really did as it was a family thing. Oh and Zoo Doo is not that good, even though they advertise it every where. No reptiles there what so ever...........:( That's all I can really say. Hope you have fun!

hey ive never been there but would like to see port arthur where all the you know what happend :D

Every part of Tasmania is splendid!
I will find out from family some nice spots for you to visit...

If I remember correctly theres a place called penguin it's
full of markets & the scenery stunning...

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time ;)

Thanks for the replies and keep it coming! I've got a brochure of paid tours, but prices are a lot cheaper when I look things up on the internet to book for myself.

PORT ARTHUR!! dooo it!
i love that sort of stuff it was amazing!
went on lots of walks and saw lots of wildlife parks aswel im deff going back there on one fo my next trips!

Penguin tour at Low Head (near Launceston, on the Tamar River).
Platypus and Echidna 'park' (just a few rooms really), somewhere near Beaconsfield on the other side of the Tamar.
Short cruise (30min I think) to see the Gorge at Launceston. Don't do the long one, its not fun unless you get drunk like all the others.

But yes, all of Tasmania is beautiful.

Oh, you must go up Mt Wellington, but take some cold weather gear, even if its a hot day. Its FREEZING up there.

Don't bother going to Queenstown, its a DUMP DUMP DUMP. Did I say it was a DUMP?

So ---- Port Arthur, Penguin Cruise, Devils @ Cradle or similar, Gorge cruise near Launceston, platypus and echidna park... Any more ideas? This is very helpful for us!

Its not a Penguin 'cruise' LOL, its a Penguin walk around the dunes at dusk when the penguins start coming in. I did 4 penguin walks and this was definitely the most enjoyable and 'close up' to the penguins. I can't remember how much, but it wasn't cheap for a guided walk - but then again most interesting touristy things aren't.

Oh, forgot, theres a Seahorse place which I didn't go to as I thought a few Seahorses in a tank or 2 sounded a bit boring, but apparently its really good. Its near the Echidna and Platypus thing I think so you can do it in the same day.

Lovely place Tasmania, I lived there for 4 years.

Seahorse World at Beauty Point
Scottsdale, if you like looking at awesome scenery

Strahan on the west coast would be a perfect site to go on a World Heritage tour.......6 hours through the Macquarie harbour, and down the Gordon River to the Heritage Landing, and another landing on Sarah Island. A trip I will remember for the rest of my days..... MAGNIFICENT and BREATHTAKING!!!!!!

Can't go past Cataract Gorge in Launceston too, a trip up the Tamar River would be advisable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back