Pics of 3 fifferent types of mealworms

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

W.T.BUY

Pics of 3 different types of mealworms

Hi all just thought i Would post some pics of 3 different types of meal worms. I thought i was only breeding 2 (giant and normal) but today i cleaned out one of my woodie colonies. At first i though i had baby meal worms in the poo. Then i thought they must be weeviles breeding in there as there were no big ones. Then i found the middle stage of the mini mealworms. Then mini beetles.

First here are some pics of the meal worm (worms)

Smallest is large mini mealworm
middle is large normal mealworm
biggest is large giant mealworm

Attachments

• IMG_0722.JPG
    IMG_0722.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0723.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0724.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0725.JPG
    IMG_0725.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited by a moderator:
here is the "middle stage"

Attachments

• IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0727.jpg
    IMG_0727.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 66
here is beetle of mini mealworm and normal meal worm. sorry no adult giant meal worms to compare to.

Attachments

• IMG_0728.JPG
    IMG_0728.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0729.JPG
    IMG_0729.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 102
They look tasty........... very tasty :) thanks for posting never new there were more then one type of mealworm :)

in the US they have about 20 different mealworms species available.

we have a 'few' different ones here.

haha, i get the little ones in my roach bin,....no matter how well i clean them out they always reappear....!!

where do they come from?

i'm just morphing the big ones again,...they amyae love em (only offer the freshly shed ones tho)

are u paranoid about them eating thru tummies? (the big ones?) they bite kinda hard for their size,...

Theres documented evadence that mealworms can and do eat there ways out of lizards that eat them which can sometimes even kill them. No one should ever use them I don't know why people still risk there reptiles lives!

they seem to come from cricket and woody breeders,not sure there actually a type of meal worm,they end up going through there life cycles in my monitor cages,i find them a nucience,but they do eat the waste and left over food

What are those freaky fluro aqua worms they have in the US? Do we have them here?!

Tomato and Tobacco worms, and no we cant get them here. settle with silkworms ;)

Mealworms will NOT eat there way out, they die very easily, dragons chew them, if they don't, their stomach acid quickly kills them. regular and mini mealworms arent very nutritious anyway, and all three available species hold the capability to impact and block the digestive tracts.

the giant mealworm zophobias morio is another story, they have a higher amount of fat, this fat binds to the phosphorus and chitinous shell and helps it pass. it is not a good idea to feed large amounts of any mealworms, including the nutritious giant mealworm. purely because excess chitin is hard to digest, high amounts phosphorus will play with and outbalance the calcium and D3 usage.

the only mealworms i feed are zophobias morio (giant 'superworm') occasionally, and pupae fetus alien forms of regular mealworm, purely to add fat and balance a safe phosphorus:calcium level in the diet. (this is rare tho)

i get the mini species in with regular mealworms and my roaches. there beetles are TINY

Tomato and Tobacco worms, and no we cant get them here. settle with silkworms ;)

Ahh I see... They look so awesome!

At my old school, we had a big Mulberry tree and we used to have gazillions of silk worms! they are so cute too! Hmm maybe I need to grow a Mulberry tree :lol:

AFAIK breeders put meal worm in the bottom of there roach colonies to eat all the roach excrement. the roach's don't eat them, they just breed along and clean up the bottom of the container they are kept in, kinda like a catfish in a fish tank i spose.

sorry if this is a stupid question but what are AFAIK breeders?

People talk about it all the time on reptile forums for years and I have even seen a picture of a beardie with its stomache eaten out and it had been fed mealworms.

What people talk about doesn't constitute evidence for anything other than what people talk about. A picturte would be useful but unless the source is accurate and trustworthy that also could be anything that has been misattributed to pepetuate the myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back