Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used the same dog wash on my juvie bredli when they got mites (I seriously can't explain how they got them :?:x) was not reccommended by the pet shop but by a private breeder here who's used it for a while. How did they tell you to make up the soloution (as it's a concentrate) I was told to mix it half the strength the bottle tells you. Never had a problem, just rinsed them off after.

any updates?

hope ur snake pulls thru, and i agree, u should make the petshop pay for any vet bills siince they offered u confidently gave u bad advice.

staff in shops need to learn to say i dont know, or i'll check on that. Risking someones beloved pets life to appear smart is just plain wrong.

i think i read on a previous mite thread u can apply TOD to a wash cloth and wipe the snake down with it, (obviously as well as fogging its enclosure with the snake removed)...is that corrrect?

Everny said:
probably a bit rash, but i would want them to pay my veterinary costs. their staff are posing as experts and handing out advice! that it appears is wrong! and may have indeed injured or killed an animal.

I agree.

i think i read on a previous mite thread u can apply TOD to a wash cloth and wipe the snake down with it, (obviously as well as fogging its enclosure with the snake removed)...is that corrrect?

You can spray a pillow case and then put the snake in there for half hour or so while you spray out the enclosure.

You can spray a pillow case and then put the snake in there for half hour or so while you spray out the enclosure.

This is from the TOD web site
Directions For Use
-Remove water bowl/tub from the enclosure before spray, clean it and leave it out for 24 hours
-Remove the reptile from the enclosure
-Spray the interior of the enclosure to form enough fume in the enclosure
-Suggest spray 2-3 seconds for a standard 2 x 3 foot size enclosure
-Leave the enclosure closed for 10-15 minutes, and then return the reptile
-After 24 hours, return the water bowl/tub to the enclosure
-After another 48 hours, clean out enclosure and destroy any substrate (it helps remove mite eggs)
-Spray the enclosure surrounding area as well
-Do not rinse the enclosure and the reptile after spray
-Re-spray the enclosure about seven days later after first application, a third application might be necessary depending on the infestation
Other Tips
-After treating the reptile and the enclosure, spray a line around the enclosure to create a barrier
-Frequently (every day or two) spray around the enclosure to keep the barrier working during treatment
-Suggest use paper as bedding during treatment so that changing bedding is easier

I also used surface spray on the carpets and on areas that didn't come in contact with the reptile :)

havnt heard of the product before, but if it is in liquid form, did you shake first? i used a de-chlorinating liquid in my fish tank once and didnt shake it up first. the amount i put in was so concentrated that it was a totally different colour to when i shook it up later........i lost about $150 worth of cichlids and a synodontis catfish within a couple of hours.......

Ash

Tenacres - we have never used the pillowcase method ourselves, but we know many ppl who do if the snake is carrying a serious load..

We have actually found no need to 'fog' the enclosure, just a quick squirt in the direction of each corner, and a spray round the outside joins of the tank.
No direct treatment of snakes at all..
I have to say tho, we have always caught it early.

by the way TOD is dodgy to i have seen heaps of snakes killed with the stuff elapids pythons and gts because of that i never use the stuff any more not on the snakes anyway

by the way TOD is dodgy to i have seen heaps of snakes killed with the stuff elapids pythons and gts because of that i never use the stuff any more not on the snakes anyway

I think alot of the probs come from ppl directly spraying animals, fogging tanks with snakes inside etc.

I also think ppl may over fog their tanks.. When it first started being used, the directions were, a short burst in the direction of each corner, and there was the suggestion of spraying outside joins.
We have found this to work very well, and see no reason too expose the animal to any more chemicals than it takes to fix the problem. I would not 'fog' the tank, (spray until there is a visable mist or fog) even with the animal removed..

havnt heard of the product before, but if it is in liquid form, did you shake first? i used a de-chlorinating liquid in my fish tank once and didnt shake it up first. the amount i put in was so concentrated that it was a totally different colour to when i shook it up later........i lost about $150 worth of cichlids and a synodontis catfish within a couple of hours.......

Ash

Ash, It's a spray can that makes a very fine mist when sprayed :)

http://www.herpshop.com.au/Medicine.html

or

http://wehaveitall.com.au/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=118

can I ask why you need to use TOD so often, where do you keep getting mites from? and how do you ues it? and and how often?

Hi guys,
This is Amy, the other half of Mike and Amy who had the snake we were quite concerned for.
He is fine now, and mite free!
Shortly after we posted this thread, he settled down quickly.
We weren't able to find any vets at 11pm unfortunately, so we had no choice but to hold tight until the next morning. After we woke up and checked on him, he was back to normal.
He seems fine now, we fed him and he ate...eagerly! Almost had my fingers.. :p
We've cleaned out his tank, and all the substrate, sprayed with TOD, and popped him back in there, he seems happier than he did in the click-clack.

I'm considering contacting the pet store and letting them know what happened.
But the most important thing is, he is alive and well and mite free!

Thanks so much for all the advice, I think we've learnt our lesson about taking advice from reptile store staff.

Amy (and Mike too)

great to hear hes ok! :)

ii would definately get in touch with the shop, otherwise the guy will probably give other people bad advise and it might not turn out so well the next time,...

thanks for letting us know! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back