Handbag Search

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lesa

Reaction score
Our local cinema has started the policy of searching all bags, including handbags, as you enter the cinema. I know shops and stores are not allowed to look in handbags as you leave, so I'm wondering if the cinema actually has the right to do this. The idea behind it of course is to stop you smuggling food in and forcing you to buy their overpriced stuff at the snack bar.

Has anyone experienced this elsewhere. It really p * * es me off :evil::evil::evil:. I've never actually tried smuggling food in, but that's not the point. I don't think they should have the right to look into my handbag!

lol...

would love them to check in my mums bag, she takes kids popper bottles filled with white wine into the cinemas, ideally the popper is marked 'apple juice'

My girlfriend got into an argument once with a door bag checker because he wanted to look in her handbag. She is the most un-dodgy (for lack of a better word) person you would meet. He then tried to defend himself saying her handbag was too large and therefor he had the right to check it.. I near knocked him out. No I don't think they have the right too, it would be like them rumaging through a blokes wallet!

I thoughts stores can and do check your bags as you leave. I know that the big stores (Target, Big W, Kmart, etc.) do.

Are shops not allowed to do that? Both Big W and Kmart here do that here on a regular basis.

As for the cinemas it really wouldn't bother me, I HATE eating while watching a movie anyway, and it annoys me hearing other people slurping and crunching and chomping on things. :lol:

Not sure about checking bags but I beleave they can't stop you from taking your own food into the cinemas as long as its not hot or offencive(smell wise) to other cinema patrons

My understanding is that it's not just to prevent food going in, but also to prevent any recording (audio or video) devices being brought in.

I might be wrong but I was sure they could only check bags over a certain size.

Shops over here are allowed to check your bag but they are not allowed to put they're hands inside the bag even if it's a plastic bag from another shop. Some cinemas check - just hide the malteasers under the ten tons of junk that most people have in their bags and they'll never know!

I thoughts stores can and do check your bags as you leave. I know that the big stores (Target, Big W, Kmart, etc.) do.

Bags yes. Handbags no! From my understanding the bad needs to be big enough to hold a loaf of bread before they can search it????

Ah okay. I thought it was the size of an A4 page? Other wise, I thought you could refuse to show them.

I remember waaaay back in the 80's it was common for cinemas to conduct bag searches. My friend was targeted almost every time she went, and usually by the same male teenage staff each week. That was until she had finally had enough, would of loved to see the Young Mans face when he went to "snoop" through her bag, he got as far as the Packet of " female" products on the top. Apparently he went bright red and never stopped her again. lol.

"Can I check your bags sir"
Sure... Would you like me to cough doc?

I don't think food & drinks is their main concern.
It is more than likely to do with the idiots taking in video cameras recording the movie then burning copies for all their mates at $5 a pop. Or worse yet, uploading it onto the web for all to share..

I walk in to my cinema with food in hand and they dont care what cinema do you go to mine is hoyts

. That was until she had finally had enough, would of loved to see the Young Mans face when he went to "snoop" through her bag, he got as far as the Packet of " female" products on the top. Apparently he went bright red and never stopped her again. lol.
hahahah poor guy :rolleyes: lol i never take food into the cinemas ;) its rediculous how overpriced the snak bar is (just get a coke cup like the oens they give u in the cinemas stuff your food in it, looks like you bought it from the snack bar :):D works a treat

We don't go for the twisties and malteasers, I smuggled a large pizza up my jumper, Chinese food. but the best one was a jar of olives and a small camenbert cheese. Oh and then there is the Alcohol..

Last edited:
I was stopped by staff from entering the cinema because I had my motorcycle helmet with me.
Apparently I could have used it as a weapon and was asked to check it at the counter.
Thanks but no thanks.

I'm pretty sure they are allowed to search you if they make it clear before you enter - ie a sign saying, "Upon entering this store/cinema your bags may be checked." You then choose whether to accept that condition by entering or turning around and leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back