So I just bought one of these things...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viridae

Reaction score
...anyone know how to fly it? I figured I would just go and find a big hill somewhere.

2008_1226Paragliding0094.jpg

I don't know how to fly it but it sure looks like fun.

I'm pulling your leg a bit here myglamorph, I actually have a licence to fly that thing - thats me hanging under the glider. My glider, borrowed harness (borrowed from the school I learnt with). I bought all my own gear yesterday - that photo was taken when I was taking that glider for a test fly. And yes, its great fun!http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/../member/myglamorph-15106

wicked, a friend of mine does it in europe, just starting out anyway. he raves about ot. where do you take it out?

wicked, a friend of mine does it in europe, just starting out anyway. he raves about ot. where do you take it out?

I have only flown in Bright and near Beechwrth so far (NE Victoria) I am now a member of the melbourne club so I will prob fly at flowerdale and a few coastal sites - depends where the experienced pilots are going.

That much fun can't come cheap

$5k all up without instruments. $1800 for the licence including HGFA student pilot membership (hang gliding federation of australia - also covers paragliding) - wing needs to be replaced every 300-400 flight hours. Harness lasts for a lot longer if treated right. We carry a reserve parachute as well as a last line of resort if the **** hits the fan.

I have only flown in Bright and near Beechwrth so far (NE Victoria).

I'm going to wave like crazy at all and every paramagliderer from now on. I see you guys from my backyard a lot, especially in this hot clear weather lately.

I should get up on my roof and paint something rude and hilarious.

I'm going to wave like crazy at all and every paramagliderer from now on. I see you guys from my backyard a lot, especially in this hot clear weather lately.

I should get up on my roof and paint something rude and hilarious.

Hahaha how close are you Mystic? I might have flown over your house in one of my forays over the town. My glider is pretty distinctive, I haven't seen another like it.

I might have flown over your house in one of my forays over the town. .

Probably not :D I'm on the outer edge of Bright, on the Freeburgh/Harrietville side. Most of the gliders seem to head towards the other end of town, at least to land. They're always really high up still when they're over my place.

Probably not :D I'm on the outer edge of Bright, on the Freeburgh/Harrietville side. Most of the gliders seem to head towards the other end of town, at least to land. They're always really high up still when they're over my place.

OK. Oh well paint something on your roof and I might see it someday!

that looks so friggin fun, where do i start??? LOL

www.alpineparagliding.com

Great school (Australia's longest running) - you can get a tandem flight before you commit to a licence course. (Thats what I did). There is a school closer to you in Torquay but don't go with them (PM me if you really have to know why). Its expensive, but well worth it.

Whats the positives comparing Paragliding to Hang Gliding? Cost seems about the same.

Hangliders are a lot more expensive to buy (about twice as expensive). Hangliders are harder to learn to fly but easier to master. They are also larger, need a roof rack to put them on and take 25minutes+ to set up and pack up. Paragliders fit into a large backpack (everything included) which is good if you have to hitch a lift back to civilisation. Hangliders have a better glide ratio, therefore go further and are faster. They are also generally recognised to be more dangerous - the only thing that hurts is the ground, and hangliders come in a lot faster (paraglider pilots nickname hangliders "Lawn darts". Hang gliders can withstand windier conditions than paragliders but paragliders can still launch without wind (hangliders can't). Hang gliders can dive for speed, paragliders can't (though we do have out own way of increasing speed). Paragliders are getting ever more popular basically, its more convenient and requires less $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back