Dog medications.........

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bundysnake

Reaction score
Just wondering who uses what? as currently i use 3 different products and im wondering if there is an all in one product??

Flea/Tick:
Wormer:
Heart Wormer:

Cheers,
Phill

I use Advantix, mainly because I have to contend with Scrub/Paralysis Ticks, this is a liquid on the back of the neck, and I use Interceptor for my worming/Heart worm. However I have been told about 1-2ml of Ivormec being injected into the dog as a all round flea/tick/wormer... Persoally I would rather use the two products and KNOW they are designed for each issue and work, then something that MAY the right thing.

I use Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks (only because I get it for free through work), Heartgard chewables for heartworm, and Drontal for intestinal worms.

You can use Sentinel Spectrum, it is a small beef-flavoured chewable tablet that does fleas, heartworm and all 4 main gastro-intestinal worms. The only problem is that it sterilises fleas, it doesn't kill them. So if you have an existing flea problem you may need to use a product such as Capstar in conjunction with the Sentinel, at least for a little while at first. Also, it doesn't protect against parlysis tick.

Advocate is also pretty good, it does fleas, heartworm and most intestinal worms however it doesn't cover tapeworm - so you'd need to use it in conjunction with a product such as Virbac Tapewormer.

I use "Revolution" for dogs, it treats/prevents fleas, heartworms, ear mites and sarcoptic mites. Once a month you put drops of the liquid onto the skin on the back of the neck. I find it convenient.

I think that worming requires a different lot of chemicals. We use worming tablets in her food. Sorry, I'm unsure about the ticks as in SA they aren't really a problem...YET...luckily.

Hope this helps :D

Advantix for feas and tix (i found it lasts longer than frontline)
Gardian for all worms inc heartworm. (means 1 less thing to forget every month)

Revolution for fleas/ticks. Drontal for worms, and the yearly heart worm injuection saves so much stuffing around,

Revolution for fleas/ticks. Drontal for worms, and the yearly heart worm injuection saves so much stuffing around,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that you dont need the heartworm shots when using "Revolution" as that prevents heartworm too. :? Unless its one that doesn't have it in it.

Sentinel Spectrum here. Been using it for years. Thankfully no ticks, surprisingly considering the number of hairy possums we have running around our garden of a night, and no real problem with fleas. Just the odd scratch now and again. Never really had a dog thats 'never' scratched.

Products depend on where you live. If no paralysis ticks, your bill is dramatically cut. We live near the bush with paralysis tick danger year round. We use Interceptor Spectrum for worms (incl heartworm). We use Frontline spray for fleas/ticks on the little fluff dog and Advantix on the rottie. Frontline spray works out a bit cheaper, but we'd get RSI trying to coat the rotti. We also order from Vet Products Direct and save hundreds every year.

There's a tablet, can be bought singly or in packs, "Sentinel" is the name of them, not sure of the brand..... treats fleas, heartworm and all other worms.................... really good stuff!!! given once a month

We use Revolution drops for heartworm, fleas and mites, and Canex (i think) tablets for intestinal worms. The Canex tablets come free with the Revolution.

Sentinel is great if you are only worried about fleas and worms. You need a spray or 'spot-on' treatment if you are trying to control ticks, too. Our old rottie picked up a paralysis tick on a walk down the street once (we got to it within minutes, so no harm), while the fluff dog has gotten ticks in the middle of winter.

Thanks for all your replies people, what a great response.

I've been using Advantix & Heartguard + 15-20Kg for my stafford Bundy.
Heartguard does worms and heartworms which is good.

BTW anyone who has a young male stafford which they want to breed shoot me a pm, I will give pick of the litter to the studs owners.

BTW anyone who has a young male stafford which they want to breed shoot me a pm, I will give pick of the litter to the studs owners.

If your girl is papered and health-tested, you could try the stud listings in the Staffy section of DogzOnline.

There are many good formulas of dog meds, but no ONE product does everything you may encounter. Frontline spray is good on my little dog - no ticks if we spray 3-weekly. Still have to treat for heartworm and intestinal worms. Advantix is doing well for the rottie, but we have to use it every 2 weeks for ticks. Fleas don't have a chance around our place! BTW, the rottie had fleas when we got her. We sprayed her all over with Frontline (all we had at the time) and have never seen a flea again. That was at a dose appropriate for fleas, but less than you'd use for ticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back