Seriously Depressed Dog in Serious Pain

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcurko

Reaction score
Hey APS

My dog was diagnosed with Epilepsy last night after having 5+ seizures numerous blood tests etc Now my mum has been crying hoping that he doesn't die.

I mean one of his seizures lasted 5 minutes and the vet today was $800 which my mum cannot really spare.

So aside from my personal life i was just wondering if anyone has a dog with epilepsy or something similar?

PS My dog is a moodle not really notorious for being known to have epilepsy
What are the odds of my dog surviving?
This is him
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8329579@N04/2727686655/

Sorry if this post seems unneeded i just need some reassurance that he can live and he won't die. I can bear the thought of losing him neither can my mother. Vets have started him him on antibiotics

I hope to god that he doesn't die sorry guys

Last edited:
My dog is a red healer x staffy, he has epilepsy which was quite bad when he was young (we also thought he would die), we managed it with medication (barbitone).It took a while and several more seizures but he is now 6 years old and you wouldnt know there was anything wrong with him at all.

Oh he was also born stone deaf!!!

Thanks andy that helps knowing that there's still hope. I'm just really worried as my mother has been crying all day with him seizures started at 2am last night and since then he's probably had at least 8 or more. I'm praying that he will be fine only time will tell :cry:

Not sure why the vet would give him antibiotics?? infection maybe? maybe hes running a fever. in which case a high temperature could be causing seizures or making them worse. My dog had a temp of 42 by the time I got him to the vet, I carried him in seizing in my arms, they just went forever it seemed!! The vet gave him a shot to lower his temperature and he improved from there. Maybe try feeling to see if he`s hot (under the front leg is a good spot) and phone another vet for advice and keep him cool.

I have an 8yr old English Springer Spaniel. he was diagnosed with cancerous brain tumors after repeated fits. that was over a year ago. even with meds (Phenomav 100mg min dose 4 tabs per day) he still fits. he has great days and bad days. we take it one day at a time with no idea of how long we will have him. the good days still outweigh the bad. he seems to know when a fit is near, for he will come and lean on me. just love him and keep him comfotable. great lessons will be learnt.

Antibiotics does sound odd if the vet has confirmed its epilepsy. I'd get another opinion. I'd see Todd at Earlwood Vet Hospital. He is great.

213 Bexley Road, Earlwood NSW 2206
Phone: (02) 9718 5235

We had a mini foxy that suffered from epilepsy, he had some quite bad fits that could last up to 40 minutes. He usually pulled out of them ok, just very thirsty and sleepy. I did consider giving him medication, but the was advised by the vet that because the fits werent happening on a regular basis, that medication was not needed as it would reduce his lifespan.... To cut along story short.. Astro.. lived until he was 10 years old... had a happy life, loved going to the park for a run, and swimming in the lake. He started to fit more in the last 12 months of his life, and eventually died of Hep C...

Best way I found to care for him when he was fitting, was to hold him so he didnt hurt himself, but not wrapped in a blanket or anything ( because they overheat when fitting). I kept water beside me and just dabbed some on his nose to keep it cool... when he came to.. i just gave him water to drink, or icecubes which he prefered.. Probably about 20 mins after the fit was over, he would have a huge drink of water, and go have a big sleep.. wake up and be back to normal.

All the best with your doggie, and tell Mum to hang in there, all is not lost.

Erica

I have an 8yr old English Springer Spaniel. he was diagnosed with cancerous brain tumors after repeated fits. that was over a year ago. even with meds (Phenomav 100mg min dose 4 tabs per day) he still fits. he has great days and bad days. we take it one day at a time with no idea of how long we will have him. the good days still outweigh the bad. he seems to know when a fit is near, for he will come and lean on me. just love him and keep him comfotable. great lessons will be learnt.

Who are you doing the right thing by , the dog or yourself .
Do you think it's fair to have the dog having fits , just because you cant bear to lose it ? .

Who are you doing the right thing by , the dog or yourself .
Do you think it's fair to have the dog having fits , just because you cant bear to lose it ? .
i have a cousin with epilepsy should i euthinase her???

Last edited by a moderator:
falconboy said:
Depends, is she cute?
icon_lol.gif

:lol:

I just received a rather not convincing call from my mother.
My Dog finally sat down my mum said for about 30 mins then got up again and wouldn't sit he was crying through out the whole night and she had to take him to the vet at 2:30AM to get help. They're currently doing some more tests on him but he should get better i hope...

Sorry to hear about your dog :( I hope he gets better soon and I hope you and your mum are ok.
My dog had epilepsy and was on medication. She started having fits every now and then when she was about 10. Once it was happening a bit more often she was put on medication to help stop them when she was 12. As she got older and it happened more often the dosage got upped a little. Whenever we bathed her she would have a fit and we could only walk her for 5 minutes at a time. She hated other dogs so we had to make sure there were no other dogs around or she would have a fit. We had her put to sleep when she was 14 as she had really bad arthritis and her medicines weren't helping her fits and her arthritis - and she was going a bit loopy and deaf. When she did have fits they didn't last long and she would be a bit dazed and stiff and slow for a little while.
So even though she had epilepsy she died at an old age.

My sisters mastiff has epilepsy and she is only a few years old, was bad to start with, fitting a few times a week and then went stupid after the fit running into things. She seems to be getting better with the medication now, she fits maybe twice a month now if not less, but when the fits over she gets up wags her tail has a drink and is just a bit lazy for a few hours (pretty normal for a mastiff to be lazy anyway).

Her medication has been increased and decreased over and over again, trying to get the right medication for her, blood tests every fortnight to make sure the levels are right, but they are slowly getting it right and the visits to the vets are getting less frequent.

I think you will be able to get a handle on it, just have to find the vet who is willing to put in the effort to try get it controlled. There is always the moral issue about the quality of life for the dog, most vets my sister spoke to said the fits are not painfull for the dog, unless they belt into something while fitting. If the fits become very regular and long i think you need to have a serious think about what to do, but first i'd be trying to get it under some sort of control. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back