Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use sand for my woma, and that rehydrated coconut husk type stuff for the others.

I know newspaper is more efficient etc, but it's so dismal to look at. Whenever I see rows of enclosures with newspaper substrate it makes me think of some creepy 1970's Soviet Union basement breeding program ^_^

That being said, I'm in a DINK (double income no kids) household, and we can afford what we like. I'm sure if my financial circumstances were different I'd get over the ugly newspaper pretty quick :D

I use sand for my woma, and that rehydrated coconut husk type stuff for the others.

I know newspaper is more efficient etc, but it's so dismal to look at. Whenever I see rows of enclosures with newspaper substrate it makes me think of some creepy 1970's Soviet Union basement breeding program ^_^

That being said, I'm in a DINK (double income no kids) household, and we can afford what we like. I'm sure if my financial circumstances were different I'd get over the ugly newspaper pretty quick :D

Lol!!:D

The use of newspaper etc really has little to do with the cost of commercial type substrates.Newspaper is by far and away the most hygenic option in that cages get thoroughly cleaned when dirty,rather than spot cleaned like other substrates tend to be.

Unprinted newspaper doesn't look too bad,printed or otherwise the snakes dont give a damn anyway.To me it comes down to what is best for the animal not what is best to the keepers eyes.

But if a woma lives in the desert on sand then why wouldnt it be perfectly ok to keep your captives on sand also....

Had mine on sand no problems so far. The sand is fully changed every few months and tank scrubbed. If snake accidently poos in tank (i try get him outside to do it) then a big chunk of sand around it removed to make sure all poo is gone. Feeding done outside to prevent sand being swallowed. And the source washed playground sand from bunnings less than 10 bucks for a bag. And i also have smooth pebbles spread over the heat pad area they warm up much better than sand.
Dunno how other snakes would go on sand though for womas and BHP i wouldnt want anything else :)

If snake accidently poos in tank (i try get him outside to do it)

Miss_Stripey please help an L plater out here. I know when my son wants to use the potty, he tells me. How do you know if your snake needs to crap? I like the idea of taking them outside (especially if I have an expensive substrate in the enclosure) and knowing the warning signs would be helpful.

Cheers in advance

Steve

i like to get the paper shredder out and put $20 bills through it the snakes love it as a substrate or for roughly the same cost use aspen snake bedding they wont know the difference.

For those that want the look of sand, bark, pebbles etc. Take a photo of these and print them from your computer on some paper...JOB DONE...LOL

But seriously, paper is the way to go.It's cheap easy and effective, and you get over the look of it anyway.
Also lets not forget the value of re-cycling!

We have been using Aspen, it looks really nice, he seems to like it, and I find it easy - I just remove the soiled area, and we put down some paper when he is feeding.

We have fake grass / astroturf for the beardie, looks freaking awesome, and he loves running on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back