Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micks32

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey all

just wondering on what substrate u all use for ur snakes? im buying some jungle python hatchlings and im just wondering on what everyone uses?

i know alot of ppl use paper but i would prefer the more natural look such as bark? or maybe fake grass?

thanks guys

either newspaper cause its easy to change or nothign at all and keep your snakes in plastic enclosures and just wash is out when its dirty. But if you want a proper substrate i used recyclable cat litter which is newspaper pellets which soak water up, is cheap, get it as woolies. just dont use it when they are adults incase they inhale it.

Fake grass is an option, yet from my experience, after a 5 months or so, it begins to get really stinking, even after a good clean.
You can use Aspen snake bedding, which is pretty much wood chips, but it is really fine and quite fluffy:) Original mad for snakes, which you'd realise from the name.. But it can be quite expensive.

Your easiest, and cheapest option, is newspaper. Or you could go that little be furter, and use shredded newspaper:)

either newspaper cause its easy to change or nothign at all and keep your snakes in plastic enclosures and just wash is out when its dirty. But if you want a proper substrate i used recyclable cat litter which is newspaper pellets which soak water up, is cheap, get it as woolies. just dont use it when they are adults incase they inhale it.
what about when they are babys they still inhale it cat litter sucks its for cats to do poos in crap for snakes :D:D

thanks for the feedback

yea i know the newspaper would be easy to clean but doesnt look very natural. will bark harm them at all?

thanks

thanks for the feedback

yea i know the newspaper would be easy to clean but doesnt look very natural. will bark harm them at all?

thanks

Bark from the local landscapeing place can be harmful to your animal I believe.
Reptile bark by Exo Terra isn't to bad, apparently. But in the US, there has be reports of it containing mites.

Ive got a spotted and i use pebbles. Thier sort of like smooth river pebbles.

Had her in there going on 14 years now.

Its faily easy to clean and the stones hold the heat fairly well.:)

looks like newspaper will be the go. i dont want my snakes getting mites. thanks for the feedback guys.

looks like newspaper will be the go. i dont want my snakes getting mites. thanks for the feedback guys.

Yeah, i know its looks pretty average mate, but its really the easiest/cleanest/cheapest option. Theres too many positives and only one negative.

I've tried the fake grass, and it just smells really plastic and offensive (although it looks natural, it is tremendously artificial) and pebbles used to be my favourite, but there no easy way to clean and dry them (it takes an eternity and your snakes have to live in their own urine for considerable periods of time until you have the time to clean it).

go tile. it looks natural and easy to keep 100% clean.

Yeah, i know its looks pretty average mate, but its really the easiest/cleanest/cheapest option. Theres too many positives and only one negative.

I've tried the fake grass, and it just smells really plastic and offensive (although it looks natural, it is tremendously artificial) and pebbles used to be my favourite, but there no easy way to clean and dry them (it takes an eternity and your snakes have to live in their own urine for considerable periods of time until you have the time to clean it).

Get the smooth riverstones you can buy buy the bag at bunnings or from a nursery. Thier about the size of 20 cent peices so easier to clean than gravel.

They come in a few nice colours too..:D

or leaves, what i use for my snakes

i use paper its easy but it looks like shi% i also use smooth aquarium (spelling but who cares) gravel and it is great stuff looks cool ive had no probs with it as long as you feed your animal out side if its a snake or on a plate if its a lizard i know breeders who use nothing but gravel with no probs a lot of people on this site say dont use it but they never have just following the wagon its good stuff and looks good cheers paul :D

I use newspaper as most people have said its easy to clean cheap, a lot of the other products used increase the inclination of spot cleaning instead of replacing the substrate where you can clean quickly pull out newspaper and clean the cages properly, hehe and i hear people all the time saying yea right like pythons live on newspaper in the wild its not natural well my answer to that is pythons live in a contained box with a a vent and a heat source in the wild too ;)

Get the smooth riverstones you can buy buy the bag at bunnings or from a nursery. Thier about the size of 20 cent peices so easier to clean than gravel.

They come in a few nice colours too..:D

I might actually give that a crack at some stage Hallie. I really do love and miss the pebble look.

i use aspen in all my click clack, and in some small enclosures. definately not the cheap option but the better one imo. just a spot clean here and there and it looks tops.

i use aspen in all my click clack, and in some small enclosures. definately not the cheap option but the better one imo. just a spot clean here and there and it looks tops.

But how often would you change the whole substrate? For things like that i worry about the build up of body fluids from your reptile that cannot be picked up in a solid form. Be it urine, liquid from faeces, mouse blood, etc.

When i used the smaller pebbles, i would hardly ever change the whole thing, just spot cleaning here and there, and stirring around the substrate to kind of revitilise it in a sense. I always felt guilty about this though, not knowing if anything lingering around could harm my animal. Eventually, i went back to the newspaper for the ease of cleaning.

I might actually give that a crack at some stage Hallie. I really do love and miss the pebble look.

Mate, it looks awsome. Put a few larger ones here and there there also and it looks like natural terrain...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back