Guess the Jawbone...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where exactly was it found junglepython, and get more pics! :) One from front etc

Pretty sure they're incisors, not canines. Given that they're in front of the jaw with that gap, I'd say it's some sort of marsupial, not a placental. No idea what marsupial though :lol:

Are there two incisors? that narrows it down a little (to er.. diprotodonts).

I can't see how that can possibly be an incisor it's at the wrong angle, plus there is no gap between it and the next tooth which all the herbivorous marsupials seem to have.

it doesnt belong to a herbivore full stop! this includes sheep, cattle, not just marsupials etc. There is no diastema present (gap between incisors and premolars)

Last edited:
herbivores full stop! this includes sheep, cattle etc. There is no diastema present (gap between incisors and premolars)

Thank-you, so we can safely say it isn't a herbivore then.

Can you take a photo from the front?

It's not in my possession at the moment, but I will try and get some more pics and some proper measurements.

Yup, I'm with you Phil.

Those teeth aren't in the right place for them to be canines. Many marsupials (I think all diprotodonts.. but I can't remember the lectures from last semester well :lol:) have large incisors, just like that, in the front of their jaws. But all diprotodonts have diastema. Where are the experts when you need them? :lol:

Marsupials have a medial inflection of the jaw.. If we could get a photo from the back of the skull, with it facing away, you could see whether there was a medial inflection present or not - ruling out or confirming a maruspial.

To me that looked very much like an incisor, not a canine - but the lack of a diastema does make a problem. Upon looking again though it could be a canine.. Are there marks where the incisors were?

Before I enlarged it, I thought it was some kind of goose!! I either need glasss or Ive had too much wine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back