what's the biggest Carpet that you have seen and photographed in the WILD??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure where I got this photo, or who the guys are in it. Apparently it's an 11ft 3inch intergrade from Kempsey

Thats Michael Toohey and Greg Hollis of the North Coast HG. I believe the animal was actually caught on a property in QLD. But cant remember exactly where. The animal was later released back at the site of capture.

Im pretty sure that was caught here lector,within a couple k's of Kempsey,ive seen other photos of that snake,you are correct it is Michael and Greg Hollis,what ive been told from a few ppl up here it was on a friends property,caught took pictures and realised back where he got it.Ive seen queit a few up here,But nothing that size...

I'm surprised that there aren't more carpets over 10ft.

Not really. Huge lengths are always quoted but never verified...those two carpets (the one I posted a photo of, and smithy posted a photo of the other) were two of three that I've seen over 10 foot long, and the first wild ones over that size. There's a ton of them at 8 feet, a few at 9 feet, a couple at 9'8", but to actually break 10 feet is a real rarity.

i guess everyone thinks there opinion is the right one, so there really is no right or wrong answer.

but as for waruikazi's answer that we should only save the ones that are near extiction - doesnt really make sense when you suggest leaving others to die. maybe thats why some are facing extinction in the beginning, maybe if someone saved an injured, but endangered, animal it might have gone on to reproduce many many young!!!
and who should be changing their practices, in regards to my comment on the wildlife hospital? the animals or the hospital?

does your view on species survival include humans or just animals? probably straying from the point a bit but just curious?
cheers, and keep the big snake photos coming.

Theres actually heaps over 10feet Johnno,But when their actually measured they have shrank,so many stories off snakes going from one side of the road to the other,Never no photos too back it up.Atleast with those 2 you and Ssssmithy took,you did manage to measure probably.What age would they have been,10-15year old,or older.

yes that is fair enough, but saving the odd carpet with random issues counteracts the last ones that have lost their lives to rednecks with shovels yah? believe what you like, some people will never agree here. who is to say that the value of one life is greater than another? If only threatened species are saved... what happens to the more common ones, will they die out eventually? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I was just voicing what i felt was right!

Theres actually heaps over 10feet Johnno,But when their actually measured they have shrank,so many stories off snakes going from one side of the road to the other,Never no photos too back it up.Atleast with those 2 you and Ssssmithy took,you did manage to measure probably.What age would they have been,10-15year old,or older.

well my mates father owns the propert we caught that big girl on. he recalls the same big snake being there for as long as his son has been born(21years) but who knows if thats the same snake though....
although he said to us almost every morning for as long as he can remember he sees her sitting ontop of the shed door....and thats exactly where we found her...along way up:lol:

but yeah everyones heard of the snake that stretched from one side of the road to another and being 12,13,20foot long.....but it never happend unless you have a tape measure and a camera handy:p

Attachments

• found the snake.jpg
    found the snake.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 296
Not really. Huge lengths are always quoted but never verified...those two carpets (the one I posted a photo of, and smithy posted a photo of the other) were two of three that I've seen over 10 foot long, and the first wild ones over that size. There's a ton of them at 8 feet, a few at 9 feet, a couple at 9'8", but to actually break 10 feet is a real rarity.

Yet you see 2 longer than that in 2 weeks... I dont doubt that most ppl cant guess snake lengths accurately and many intentionally exagerate to make themselves feel important, but i dont really think it is that exeptional for them to get over 3m. The reason there arnt heaps of offically recorded or photographed specimens is because most ppl have little interest in recording such things and without killing a snake the average person wouldnt be able to measure it. If they did measure a 3m specimen they would probably think it was small after looking in a book and reading a total length of 4m for the species anyway.

Two in two weeks doesn't sound quite like two in eight years though...just a bit of a coincidence they were so close together. Amongst a group of us we do call outs for hundreds of Carpets every year, and even when discussed with local herpers who have been in the area for 40+ years, they are in agreeance with me. One of the interesting things is that all 3 ten foot Carpets I have found have been slender snakes for their length. I've found a lot that are twice as thick as them but 50cm shorter...

what's the biggest Carpet that you have seen and photographed in the WILD??

Please post pics.

Removals don't count....you were called there you did not find it yourself.

Photo's would be great

Cheers,
Scott

come on scott where is a pic of the biggest one you and you know who have seen...lol.lol.

Yeah that is a good point, i just expected that there would be more large coastals considering i found a darwin at 10ft.. well it was actually about 9'11" But that doesn't make for as good a story lol.

i guess everyone thinks there opinion is the right one, so there really is no right or wrong answer.

but as for waruikazi's answer that we should only save the ones that are near extiction - doesnt really make sense when you suggest leaving others to die. maybe thats why some are facing extinction in the beginning, maybe if someone saved an injured, but endangered, animal it might have gone on to reproduce many many young!!!
and who should be changing their practices, in regards to my comment on the wildlife hospital? the animals or the hospital?

does your view on species survival include humans or just animals? probably straying from the point a bit but just curious?
cheers, and keep the big snake photos coming.

I actually said possible exception, i wouldn't support it in every case. What i said makes plenty of sense, you just don't like my reasoning. Lets change the scenario a little bit, would you save a lorrikeet that is being eaten by a quoll? Of course you wouldn't because that is how nature and the eco-system works and scenarios like the one just described often happen because the prey animal is sick or injured. When people try to be lovey dovey and interfere with a system they shouldn't have anything to do with that system becomes sick. Nature should be allowed to run its course.

As for this...

The animals should be changing there practice, who the hell are they to be inconveniencing people. The gall of them :lol:. Who do you think i meant should change ya wombat tehehehe :lol:

I wont address the other question cause i think it's too off topic and i really can't get another infraction for a couple more weeks.

Here's a question, all of the biggest darwins i have found have been males, is it the same case with the big coastals?

Im pretty sure that was caught here lector,within a couple k's of Kempsey,ive seen other photos of that snake,you are correct it is Michael and Greg Hollis,what ive been told from a few ppl up here it was on a friends property,caught took pictures and realised back where he got it.Ive seen queit a few up here,But nothing that size...
All true, except it wasn't released. It was kept, to cross with a Scrubby. Makes me feel sick.

carpets

you mention possible exceptions, well that is where the grey area begins isn't it? as has been mentioned who decides where the "possible" comes into it?

everything we do in life has a bearing on wildlife, that is why we have lost so many species to extinction, yesterday i saved a frog from being eaten by a tree snake and i felt fine about it! and yes, i probably would try and save the lorikeet if i thought it would survive, if the quoll had already killed it then fair enough though.

love the comment on getting the animals to change their practices because it inconveniences us - great argument there! between the name calling and your already issued infractions i can see you have been in some good debates already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back