Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you be crossing your subspecies??

• Yes, I look forward to creating something unique and interesting.

Votes: 110 17.1%
  • I would consider it if I thought there was a market for them.

Votes: 38 5.9%
  • I would consider it if they looked really good.

Votes: 96 14.9%
  • No, I would never ever do it, keep things pure IMO.

Votes: 290 45.0%
  • I would keep one as a pet, but would never breed it.

Votes: 110 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm for pure lines, however, I see nothing wrong with people breeding and selling X's provided they are honest and up front the the purchase.

thats ok if the seller dose that. but what happens when the buyer becomes the sell and dosent tell the next buyer? you will also have this problem with a normal looking snake that carries crossed blood. somewhere down the line when its bred this crossed blood will show through, spoiling a breeding program.
stay pure and keep our native snakes safe

The bigger potential problem in your country is not people creating the crosses in the first place but keeping species outside of their natural range. If the species kept then escape from their captive environment - interbreed thus contaminating the local gene pools causing an unnatural hybridisation in an area it could have a devastating effect for the future.

I'd rather just get pure snakes, instead of cross breeds! I haven't really seen any nice cross breeds anyway!

The problem I find with most reptile keepers/breeders, is we use the argument all the time against Authorities, that we are providing a back up to wild animals, in the case of a natural disaster.
It is well known that there are many views on how valuable captive collections are in relations to conservation, and im not interested in having that debate now.
In any case amateur keepers/breeders provide endless information on captive care, reproduction, habits etc etc of our native species that has been, and will continue to be, very imporant in wildlife conservation.
In many instances, information from private breeders has been the hall mark for zoos and parks.

It would be real nice if our hobby could continue to provide an important role. I see breeding hybrids and crossbreed as a means of "breeding out" any usefull role we play in conservation. It also means that once this practise becomes the norm, our animals can not be trusted to be pure, in any collection, making our records and experiences worthless to conservation. I think thats a shame.

It has always been the intention of the aurthorities to allow us to keep and breed reptiles as a hobby and not an industry.

Also........... we all know about exotic species imported for collectors.... there are places that red eared sliders are found happily breeding in the wild, and places corn snakes are also breeding in the wild here in OZ.... now if people cant be responsible with exotics, of all things..... what are we going to do when our much more common captive "native hybrids" get out... and start hybridising with local populations of morelia?????? It is actually a environmental threat as far as im concerned... more so than exotics.

Last edited:
bring on the morelia milkshake

mix them sub species good and proper till we get pink carpets with polka dots

pure is definately better. all you can do is hope that when theyre not pure the breeder is honest about it

The bigger potential problem in your country is not people creating the crosses in the first place but keeping species outside of their natural range. If the species kept then escape from their captive environment - interbreed thus contaminating the local gene pools causing an unnatural hybridisation in an area it could have a devastating effect for the future.

All my snakes are outside their natural range. But if they get out there aint much for them to breed with (except maybe other escapees). Come winter they'd be dead anyway.;)

In light of the recent thread, I thought it would be interesting to do a poll and get a snap shot of members views on how they feel about crossing subspecies today or in the near future.

Please be honest in your answers when polling.

Cheers Neil

i personally wont be how ever i dont understand why sometimes it is so frowned upon there are some very nice snakes beeing breed that way such as the red hypo jag on www.serpentsonline.com they say they are not how ever i cant track one down in this country and i have tried for about 2yrs .
my question is where does this stop albino over normal makes hets if im not mistaken and there are plenty of them around

i personally wont be how ever i dont understand why sometimes it is so frowned upon there are some very nice snakes beeing breed that way such as the red hypo jag on www.serpentsonline.com they say they are not how ever i cant track one down in this country and i have tried for about 2yrs .
my question is where does this stop albino over normal makes hets if im not mistaken and there are plenty of them around

There are also outstanding PURE animals, there is no need to crossbreed with the number of beautiful lines turning up nowadays.

Please explain your albino comment also, are you implying albinos are hybrids? Because they are not.

ok so hypertheticaly
if i bred a striped coastal or a bredli with an albino darwins
to be kept as a pet in my colection and not use the offspring as breeding stock
thats legal ?

soz just the way i read the licensing i thought we wernt aloud to.

im all for keeping the lines pure for selling and what not

but i wouldn't mind owning something new so long as i could quarantine it properly.

cross breeding view from a newbie

Just an opinion from a newbie just bitten( and hard )by the herp loving bug.

Whilst I am new at snakes I have always had horses and have just started Breeding my first Paints, Whilst most of us tend to frown very strongly against people cross breeding any unreg Horses they have and producing spavined ugly conformationally shocking animals in a market that is already flooded with so many unwanted horses, I am honestly asking because I dont know, Is there any sort of harm healthwise etc that cross breeding sub species in snakes can cause??

Also, there seems to be no need to register breeds by parentage as there is with horses or dogs for example, Like buying a purebred Border Collie, So I guess this would make it easier for breeders to pass of there x breeds as pure as I guess its just thier word for it and someone uneducated who lacks experience like me would maybe not know the diff?

I dont have an opinion yet as such but if someone breeds a stunning animal that is healthy and unusually patterned or coloured but otherwise in good health and sold as what it is or kept as a pet then I dont see the harm, Purists should know the diff and the pure lines should be safe.

haha another newbie opinion
Nothing better than a purebreed i think, xbreeds will never have anything on them, but after saying that, if you are VERY responsible bout it and you know exactly what youre doing then xbreeding for your personal collection would be ok, but never for selling, and more importantly to clearly define it as a xbreed, itd be a tradgey if 50 years from now purebreeds would become a rareity
then again i dont know much bout genetics or what damages it could do to a snakes health so its not something id do

snakes would of been all hybrids to start of with like the ones around my place their all hybrids.
just sayen something i also think that some kybrids look good while others i would class as mutts would be the most common.

snakes would of been all hybrids to start of with like the ones around my place their all hybrids.
just sayen something i also think that some kybrids look good while others i would class as mutts would be the most common.

OMG you have to be kidding surely!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back