Bat help!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete12

Reaction score
Hey Guys today i went to rocks(,local park) bout 4-5 o'clock and i went under the dock perfect bat habitat and i found a little bat in the water and he was drowning so i scooped him out and took him home i now have him in a shoe box... He isint very active he is moving around a bit but thats about it

i have no idea what to do

if any of you know of some carers in my area could you let me know? i live in brisbane Seventeen Mile rocks

also could i contract a virus from it?

I am in Melbourne so don't know the wildlife groups up there but here is the first I found on the web and they have an emergency number.

http://barn.org.au/content/

I am sure there will be others.

Do not try and touch the bat as they are known to possibly carry Lyssa Virus (which is fatal if contracted and untreated) .If you were scratched or bitten by the bat, you need to see a doctor right away for treatment as a precaution. The wildlife group will send out someone who has vaccinated against it and will be able to make sure the bat receives the right vet treatment.

I suggest letting him suckle on your pinkie, that should give him some energy :)

Hey guys :( he just died so i got some gloves on and buried him bout 1m deep in the back yard

also i did not get bitten or scratched but i did pick him up

Hey guys :( he just died so i got some gloves on and buried him bout 1m deep in the back yard

also i did not get bitten or scratched but i did pick him up
Thats sad but atleast you tryed:)

also could i contract a virus from it?

yes, some lead to death. usually from bites tho.

its not a good idea to handle bats. even bat carers need specific injections to prevent such diseases and virus's

Lyssavirus (like rabies) is definitely around in fruit bats, but I don't know if it's gotten into the microbat populations. Most wildlife rehab folks are vaccinated just in case. Good on you for trying. A good treatment for injured mammals is loose wrapping in towel and placing in a cardboard box, then ringing your local wildlife rescue group 1st, vet 2nd.

L.V. is definately in the microbat populations as well, so be wary of them all.

Common cause of death amongst bats is ticks or the virus... they don't really like it being called rabies - but that's only so that Australia can be declared rabies free isn't it?

more chance of being hit on the head and die from a Coconut falling from a tree 10 fold than Lyssaviruss...

just a question but what does rabies actually do?
is it like how the movies portray it?
like with people tryin to eat eachother etc etc

No Lissy .... more like extreme fever, headache, twitching, paralysis, dificulty swallowing (hence the frothing at the mouth stereotype) - it affects the nervous system and eventually everything shuts down.

Peter12 - I would see your doc just to be sure. Symptoms don't always develop imediately, however once they do lyssa virus is fatal.

Bats and lissa

hello.
Lissa is not rabies. the reason it is called a rabies like virus is that is is close enough that the rabies shots work on it.
There are not anit body shots for the lissa strain, it was however discovered that as the virus is similar to rabies the shots used to treat rabies also work for lissa.

When I had my rabies shots several years ago ( as a bat handler, not for rabies) it was a series of 5 shots given over about 14days. They are not much fun as you arm hurts like heck afterwards.
Info below was correct at the time I had my shots

Most people would not have to worry about catching this virus off bats ;which can kill and has done so in at least 2 cases of handlers and one where the guy worked at a piggery, that I know of.
As long as anyone handling bats, micro or maxi, uses caution and gloves if you feel its required, you will be OK.

If you should get scratched or bitten, wash straight away with hot soapy water and present yourself to local hospital. They are required to start treatment straight away - free of charge; it use to be about $500 if you were a carer- 1st step is a hep shot, they then aquire the rabies serum and start it off, your doctor will usually complete the series.

If you have the bat - take it with you. It will be killed, sent to Melbourne for testing and if the test results are negative your series of shots can be stopped.
The only way to test a bat is to freeze the brain, take micro thin slices and look under a microscope for the virus.

if you should get peed on, easy if you have fruit trees, don't panic - just have a shower, you'll be fine.

I use to have a heap of info on this but it has never been unpacked since I moved so this is from my memory - which is getting worse lately haha

just a question but what does rabies actually do?
is it like how the movies portray it?
like with people tryin to eat eachother etc etc

Yeah, people start eating each other, LMFAO!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back