Another hot koala, this time in Adelaide

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

falconboy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Came across this on another forum. Pretty sure this hasn't hit the news yet (or if it even will).

Attachments

• koala1.jpg
    koala1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 218
  • koala2.jpg
    koala2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 240
Oh my god-that is so cute! Must have been pretty desperate!

This may have been posted before too.
This is the text that came with the email:
It has been so hot in South Australia for over a week, 40+ degrees Celsius everyday, very dry also.
A friend passed this onto me to share around. Her friend lives at Maude (on the Murray River). His wife sent him these photos of a little Koala which just walked into the back porch looking for a bit of heat relief. She filled up a bucket and this is what happened!
This little chap obviously knows about hygiene..drinks the water first then gets in!!

Attachments

• 100_1012.JPG
    100_1012.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 100_1013.JPG
    100_1013.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_10091.JPG
    100_10091.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
This may have been posted before too.
This is the text that came with the email:
It has been so hot in South Australia for over a week, 40+ degrees Celsius everyday, very dry also.
A friend passed this onto me to share around. Her friend lives at Maude (on the Murray River). His wife sent him these photos of a little Koala which just walked into the back porch looking for a bit of heat relief. She filled up a bucket and this is what happened!
This little chap obviously knows about hygiene..drinks the water first then gets in!!

lol that was on Eques or Vichorse wasn't it?
I was gonna post that up:lol:

aww god bless em there so adorable, funny thing is if u got that close to one that wasnt so desperate and it didnt like u it could bite ur hand off lol

aw fester i hadnt seen that! makes my heart melt poor little things :(

that brings new meaning to
i have a infestation of koala's
its the cutest infestation ever.

The poor things! So glad there were people to help these ones out. I wonder how many other creatures are dying due to this crazy heat.

I had a blue tongue lizard come out of hiding next to me and drink the run off water from me watering some plants. He has previously been secretive and avoided me, but now he just wanted to have a big drink.

I can't believe the amount of Koalas happy to be given water by humans. Maybe there should be a news story suggesting those in high wildlife areas leave out buckets of water in their yards.

I am a wildlife carer in SA I also man the phones a couple times a week, the amount of animals coming in with heat stress and dehydrated has been huge, in this heat if ppl can put containers of water out for wildlife it will help these poor critters out. We have also had a lot of possums (mainly the ringys) coming in very skinny, there just isnt the food out there for them, the leaves are all so dry and they are not getting the nutrients or moisture from them.

Our carers are running out of cages and baskets to house the large number coming in.

Last edited:
I didn't think koalas drank water. I always thought they got all their hydration from the leaves they ate. You learn something new every day.

Can't help but love the drop bears! And thumbs up to the riders who stopped to help the lil dude!

Brings tears to the eyes...poor little buggers!!
l was heading down to a friends last week on one of those bl00dy hot days
and picked up a heat struck ring tail possum wandering on the road...took it home gave it a good drink which was most appreciated. It then spent a couple of days at a wildlife shelther before being released.

Those few days of heat were so stressful to all...creatures great and small:(

We had a really bad time with our critters l lost around 300 rats, 90% of my breeders and their young..
The airconditioner in our breeding room couldnt keep up with it...it was sad;(
Our loungeroom was full of rat cages for 2 days trying to save the rest...
the cages we couldnt fit inside were put into another container with ice in them...worked a treat!!
we bought around 60 bags of ice in 2 days....the rabbits sure did appreciate it:)

l really hope it does only happen every hundred years...the heatwave that is...cause well l wont be around
and l dont mind at all..!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back