Which UV Fluro Tube Do You Use? Which Brand is Best?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
100W is perfect for that size, provided there is plenty of ventilation as they cannot be run on a thermostat, have several large vents at the top of the enclosure to allow excessive heat to escape, have a few smaller vents along the bottom to draw in the fresh air...works a treat!

We have the globes at the top of the enclosure, the screw in fitting attached to the ceiling, unlike uv tubes the distance doesnt matter as much due to the amount of ÜV output and the other bonus is longer UV production life, we only change our globes every year now instead of every 3-4 months.

Great thanks!

I will place the order now, from that site you posted.

I am once again confused when it comes to husbandry requirements of a Beardie. So many different opinions and all seem logic and legit.

I guess different setup's work for different people and environments, climats etc..

:?

I have done a LOT of research and found MegaRay to be the best, by far, in my personal opinion. BUT it is more expensive, so if that's a concern, it's another thing to take into account.

OK guys, I have attached a picture of my enclosure with 3 Yellow circles marking where I can place the Sunseeker UV Globe and ES fixture.

Options (Refering to circles from left to right, so 1 is far left, 3 is far right).

Option 1 (Far Left) - Cool side ( I dont think this is the spot)
Option 2 (centre) - Right in the centre of the enclosure
Option 3 (Far Right) - In this case I will most likely move the infrared night heat lamp a little bit to the left, so the UV globe can takes it's place.

Note: I just purchased 3 more vents to place in the centre and far right (warm end).

Attachments

• UV.jpg
    UV.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 64
We have tried the megaray, in the three clutches of juveniles under a megaray, we had at least one from each show calcium deficiency, under the sunseekers, we had none, all are fed the same diet, the babies were from the same parents (split each clutch in half) and we have noted that the behaviour of the animals is much more natural under th sunseeker.

Our set up is very basic, we have a climate controlled room, so the temps never drop below 18 degrees, we have a basking light (sunseeker) at one end of the enclosure, its on a timer and we have heaps of ventilation. Mercury vapour lamps can produce a large amount of heat, so ventilation is essential. Even when we had lizards in the house, we only ever had the mercury vapour on during the day and no heat at night.

So the sunseeker will replace my current basking lamp you can see on the right?

Can they be hooked up to a external thermostat with probe?

All my electrics run off a central electronic 4 channel timer, so timing is easily covered.

NEVER hook a MVG up to a thermostat, they cannot handle it, set it on a timer for day light hours only. The thermostat can be set to 18 degrees so that if the temp in the enclosure drops too low there will be heat provided.

Yes, the MegaRay / MVB cannot be on a thermostat...

That's why I have an External Ballast MegaRay, which produces minimal heat, and then I have a CHE connected to a thermostat...

This is where we get them from, delivered to the door every time:
.hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma } http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/reptile_products.php

They are the best price we can find for these globes and these globes seem to last better than any other brand we have tried.

These are a cheep import and are not very good - if you want the real thing you need to pay for it.
Powersun by Zoo-med are the only true Mercury vapor lamp worth buying.

The other one for $33.00 is a waste of money sorry to say and if anyone thinks it is putting out any kind of UV to be worth while your kidding yourself.

Yeah, I use powersuns, but Megarays are still good. solarglow from exoterra is a cheaper version which is OK.

These are a cheep import and are not very good - if you want the real thing you need to pay for it.
Powersun by Zoo-med are the only true Mercury vapor lamp worth buying.

The other one for $33.00 is a waste of money sorry to say and if anyone thinks it is putting out any kind of UV to be worth while your kidding yourself.

We have had the sunseekers tested and they DO put out UV in the wavelengths required. They are CHEAPER....and they have had a much better performance than any other globe we have tried to date that includes zoomeds powersun which we had blow in under two months

I would advise you, jibba, to do some research of your own, beyond asking opinions. This is what I did, I looked at lots of scientific articles and diagrams etc. and annecdotal evidence and made a decision based on that :)

We have had the sunseekers tested and they DO put out UV in the wavelengths required. They are CHEAPER....and they have had a much better performance than any other globe we have tried to date that includes zoomeds powersun which we had blow in under two months

Well and good if this is the case - when I saw these at $160 less then retail I ask the wholesalers to be told they are a cheep cheep brand that didn't even come close to some cheep Uv tubes on the market at the moment and to be very careful about selling these to the public.

But if your happy with them - then that's all that matters I guess.

$160 less than retail...you are suggesting they should cost $193 for a single globe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back