Stimson Feeding - advice/thoughts?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RichB

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've had an adult Stimson for 5 months and, apart from the expected feeding issues whilst settling in, has fed well and regularly ever since. She shed for the first time (since we have had her) just recently. She refused a feed prior to shedding we subsequenlty realised was because she was due to shed. She has also though refused two feeds since. Is this normal? I was under the impression that she would be back to her normal routines post shedding. Do I just keep trying every few days or just leave for a while?? All conditions are the same as normal.

thanks
Rich

She is probably not getting enough food if she has only fed once in 5 months.

She is probably not getting enough food if she has only fed once in 5 months.

She has fed every 9 days since we have had her. It's only been recently that she has refused. Firstly prior to shedding as expected but twice since shedding. Was just wondering is it nomal to take a while to get back into feeding routines.

have you changed anything in how you have kept her? you say you feed her every 9 days. im guessing your feeding mice, but of what size? as wokka said she should of shed more than once in 5 months

I thought Wokka was saying that she should have 'fed' more than once in 5 months, which she has of course. I am feeding her adult mice, which she was feeding on before we bought her. Have been been feeding every 9 days as I read that 7/10 days would be fine. All conditions and routines are the same as normal. So...I now have two concerns 1) my initial concern is that she is not yet feeding again since her shed (although I am not too concerned but was just after some thoughts from you all and 2) am i then not feeding her enough?? I thought I was; and should she have shed more then? If so, is this to do with feeding regularity and quantity?

Just to clarify. Shedding is a result of growth. Generally a young python would shed every couple of months; More often if fed more and less often if fed less. Once in 5 months is a very long period for a young python not to shed and so I am assuming the animal could be fed more often or a large food quntity each feed. I would suggest 20% of body weieght every 7 days.

Just to clarify. Shedding is a result of growth. Generally a young python would shed every couple of months; More often if fed more and less often if fed less. Once in 5 months is a very long period for a young python not to shed and so I am assuming the animal could be fed more often or a large food quntity each feed. I would suggest 20% of body weieght every 7 days.

Thanks Wokka, much appreciated. She is though 4 years old, I bought her as an adult. Does this change your advice? Is 5 months still too long between sheds? thanks.

adult snakes can go along time without food so i think its alittle early to be concerned. i think wokka was leading to the point that the lack of shedding could of been caused by lack of food. feeding every 9 days is ok. adult mice are maybe 30g. lots of other also feed mice, but i prefer to feed weaner rats of about 50g. an adult snake wont shed as often as a hatchie/juvie as they dont have the same growth rate because they have reached their adult size

I agree with funcouple - rats are a much better food source. My stimmies feed well on rats:)

my adult female stimmie has gone off her food as well,she hasnt eaten for 6 weeks but she appears healthy so im not worried yet

I agree with funcouple - rats are a much better food source. My stimmies feed well on rats:)

Ok cool. Is this because they are bigger (ie say 50g rather than 30g) or is it because they are nutritionally better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back