Port Douglass Carpet Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NickM

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of carpets from around Port Douglass? Are the animals from this area considered to be coastals or jungles?

I have a lineage that its been suggested originated in that area. The animals I have are a bit of an enigma and being in the USA its very difficult to trace bloodlines and verify these sorts of things. I know I will likely never definitively be able to say if they are indeed from that area but I am curious.

The animals in question were labled as coastals but I question that assesment. Over here people tend to lable anything thats not yellow or is unknown a coastal.

I know there are some experts on this site, some with plenty of feild experience in the area. I would love to hear from some of you.
Thanks

Nick

lol those cairns carpets look like jungles to me aye, I wonder what makes them class them as coastals as opposed to jungles?

Hi Nick...I spent several years in PD; and done many snake calls for work in that area.
Some of the animals encountered there could possibly be referred to as coastals;
however IMO I'd prefer to label most of them as area form jungles....as most are jungles.
Just for the record; the best jungle (black and lemon yellow) I've ever seen in my life; captive or wild;
was a wild animal in a friends shed; just out of PD....was simply breath taking!

lol those cairns carpets look like jungles to me aye, I wonder what makes them class them as coastals as opposed to jungles?

Maybe DNA tests, scientific studies and typical colouration/markings probably all come into play when naming species.

I have enquired about them before and was told they aren't very common.

here are pics of the adult pair that produced the 2.3 that I have. all the babies int he clutch look identical to these parents. All have a sort of axanthic look to them , they look like weird dark jungles but are always refferred to as coastals. I know I will likely never be certain as to their origin however. I was just wondering if animals like this are within the natural variation seen in that region.

This line is unusually consistant and seems to lack much of the variability seen in carpet clutches typically. One part of the story claims the line is descended froma single pair from the Port Douglass area, such a tiny gene pool would explain the consistant look of them, as there is not much genetic variation with just a founding pair.

male
Copyofdougownedbymaxportdouglass.jpg

female
[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/nickmutton/CopyofDeeownedbyMaxportdouglass.jpg

, such a tiny gene pool would explain the consistant look of them, as there is not much genetic variation with just a founding pair.

Odd looking snakes..sort of remind me a MD's for some strange reason??? As for tiny gene pool, most of those north Queensland locales pretty much but up to each other, carpets are found throughout the whole area, in both wet and dry areas, and carpets are carpets, they will breed with each other no matter what colour they are.

Just going off the pictures Nick...
I've not seen anything quite like them in the PD area.
It is possible however...
Most don't realise that specimens found in one drainage can share similarities;
in colour and pattern etc; but they may also show little resemblance to one another.
Small rainforest type jungles and larger open forest forms can be seen to coexist within the same area.
Climb into the next valley and they can appear completely different again.
I don't think we'll ever be able to fully understand; or differentiate between the various forms of morelia to be found in NQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back