Fire Donation - Adelaide

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to call head office of a large national truck hire company, I have very close ties with the ppl who run 98.9 radio station here in Brisbane I should be able to arrange a couple of on air thank yous and maybe the station you are in contact with will do the same, great insentive for any company.
Also if anyone is in Brisbane and wants to donate food, clothing or electrical goods my sons are starting a collection at there school, we will be contacting other local schools and religious groups for donations and will be looking for transport too.

Last edited:
I work for J J Richards & Son's and this morning the company launched their own appeal throughout all of our branches/depots throughout Australia and the Directors are going to match us $ for $. We have a lot of council waste management contracts throughout Victoria and a lot of our customers and council contacts have been affected so it's really hit home to all of us.

Let's hope we can raise a heap of money to help all those poor people who've been affected.

Great idea Channi! I will try that radio idea. I am thinking Budget may be worth a try unless your friends at Kennards will come to the party Taryn? And I am thinking about doing a run Monday if I can get everything organised by then. Would that fit in with what you are doing? I will be down on Wednesday, can't do it before that as we have a number of people dropping goods off tomorrow and I need to be here. We are also hunting for a drop off at Strathalbyn, from which I will collect & take to MOSHCC.

Hey Taryn, Are you going to use the drop off point now, or are you still heading over?
Have some stuff, but will have to drop it to you tomorrow, as we are heading to melb ouselves, but going by plane, so cant take anything with us.

While I think what you are doing is great, Its been made more then public that they dont want goods sent to the community centres. As has been stated all over the news they need cash. Its not due to a lack of man power, its because they are handing out cash and transport to people in those community centres.

Reason behind it is:
People down there still need to work, the businesses that still exist and operate need the customers to stay open. Encouraging people to spend in the local community will stimulate business thus helping the community 100 times more then any goods donation.

Follow the advise given by the organisations down there that know what these communities need and donate any goods to The Salvo's.

In my eyes continuing to ignore the organisations simply shows the true intentions behind your donations. Would feel sorry for the last community centre on your "list" that will get very little if anything at all.

Due to there being no Logistics to deal with donations at the other end, drop off points are preferred.

We will be taking everything we have collected and will continue to collect to U Store it at Lonsdale, they will be organising getting goods over to the people that need it once logistics are set up.

Eylandt - yes i agree they need money but as some people cannot afford to donate cash this is a small way they can help.

Adelaide drop points are - U Store it - Lonsdale, Norwood and Parra Hills and also the Wayville showgrounds.

Thanks everyone

they are only saying stop with the goods as at the moment they are short on areas,once that is sorted out i think second hand items as long as they are in good condition are great from clothing to cutlery even the simplest items like coffee cups and towels and face washers pillow cases (bit hard to find snake owners with spare pillow cases)but anything will come in handy once the time is right .so I say good on you guys keep going and hope you get to make your wonderful donations soon to those poor people:( and animals :(

Thanks RBB - there is 5000 people without anything, yes for the short term they are clothed. But long term these people are going to need loads of clothes. Lets say even 10 outfits each thats a lot of clothing that will be needed. These people will be trying to rebuild their homes and lives and it will all come to good use eventually. It is the logistics part of it that the effected areas are not equipted to cope with atm. Thanks to U Store It this has been solved as we can drop all the goods to them and they will be deliverying when the time is right.

Yes i agree that they need money but they also need a lot more than that !

I say anyway that people can help is a bonus, whether it be clothes dog food, we wish we didnt have 3 kids and work commitments otherwise i think my husband and i would have driven over there already and be cooking meals and helping where we could.

Maybe the government should get all the dole bludgers off their bums and down there in 'tent housing' to help with the clean up !

Ok.... hubby is going over, leaving in the morning, Van and trailer is just about full.

I also know there is a semi leaving tomorrow heading to Whittlesea also, this is organised through a church group and will be heading to a church over that way.

We want to know that part of what we have collected will indeed get over there and handed out free of charge, not kept in Adelaide.

Of course we are just two people that had an idea that snowballed in massive proportions and we cannot keep taking stuff over, so we will take one load and the rest will be given to u store it and fingers crossed it gets over there at some stage.

Many thanks to Sam, and Bev for all there help i didnt realise we would collect so much stuff in such a short period of time.

Like i said whatever we cant fit on this run we will be giving to U Store it to distribute or if anyone is interested we can maybe store stuff at my dads factory for a run over at a later date once things have settled down a little.

Just to make it very clear. My "intention" is to :-
1, Make a list of Community Centres in the affected areas - Done
2. Contact these centres to find out exactly what there needs are - doing now
3 Bag items collected here according to size etc & clearly label - underway
4 Take them directly to the spot where they are needed, sorted, labeled & ready to go!
The last centre will get no more or less than the others as they will have given me a list. And no logistics needed cos it will all have been done prior to leaving SA.
I fail to see why people go out of their way to find problems where there needn't be any!
Eylandt, I do understand about business etc but when you are standing in the only things you own, waiting to hear about relatives etc, shopping isn't a priority. And the kids who have lost their toys & possibly friends need something to cry into NOW, not 2 or 3 weeks down the track when mum or dad are up to shopping. I will be going ahead with the original plan until I hear from the Centres in the middle of this catastrophe to the contrary. If anyone who is in or near these areas has any inside info which could be helpful, please let me know. As I said to another member, I want to be 1000% certain that each & every donated item gets to where it is needed. Whatever it takes!

Very right Sam, thats why Scott is still heading over tomorrow. Its a pitty that we cant do more.

I have also done the same thing, bagged and tagged everything so they know what is where.

My brother in law (works for the Herald Sun) is finding out today where the most needing places are and that is where we will head.

I will let you know Sam.

eylandt, the government is only giving the people at the moment 1000 each and 400 per child...as we all know this isnt going to do much ...fundraising that is been done by the redcross,which is fantastic, will be given to the local government to assist people of these areas in rebuilding and removing, the domestic side of things like clothes and basic needs are in demand ...so I dont think the likes of horserule and the others are doing it for any self gratification like you make out ,they have organised and are obviously doing what they have been told to do by the authorities down in VIC give them credit where its due ..I hope you have been generous in your givings as you have been with your comments.

kakariki;1376577 I will be going ahead with the original plan until I hear from the Centres in the middle of this catastrophe to the contrary![/quote said:
Sunrise yesterday morning, Sunrise this morning, ABC News Radio and 2UE have all stated this. What more is needed?

You are more then welcome to contact the Community Centres and verify this if you like.

eylandt, the government is only giving the people at the moment 1000 each and 400 per child...as we all know this isnt going to do much ...fundraising that is been done by the redcross,which is fantastic, will be given to the local government to assist people of these areas in rebuilding and removing, the domestic side of things like clothes and basic needs are in demand ...so I dont think the likes of horserule and the others are doing it for any self gratification like you make out ,they have organised and are obviously doing what they have been told to do by the authorities down in VIC give them credit where its due ..I hope you have been generous in your givings as you have been with your comments.

Incorrect, Centrelink is distributing those funds. $1000 is more then enough to bide them through while they remain at Community Centres. Remember, their food is covered, Accom is covered and Salvo's are handing them goods free of charge. That leaves $1000 free money to do as required.

Furthermore, They are handing out food vouchers as well as petty cash for people to go out and purchase their needs.

Clothes and stuff in demand? First Ive heard of it. Infact lets look a little bit deeper...

Red Cross:
Please do not donate goods

We are not accepting goods because it often costs more to collect and transport than to purchase from local businesses. These businesses have often also been badly impacted and can benefit from the activity. Currently we are focused on people's immediate needs. If we identify a specific need we will make a public call.

Salvo's:
Salvos Stores are currently using existing stock to support those in need; ensuring people have access to a full range of goods including new items. Members of the public wanting to make donations of goods, in new or as new condition, can be made to any Salvos Store in Victoria.
The Salvation Army is seeking donations of clothing, bed linen and furniture that will be passed on to those coming in for assistance.
“We are accepting donations from the Victorian public which will be held in stock reserves and distributed when required. In the meantime current stock in our stores will be provided to communities in need”, said

Still nothing about the "lack" of goods you have implied.

They are doing as advised by the Authorities? Really? Mind telling me who so advised them that I can inform every other media outlet that theyve got it wrong!

I most certainly have been generous in my givings and will continue to donate as much as I can.

My concern is over the distrust there is for the people that are there helping. The Red Cross and Vinnies have already announced that they are taking no administration fees and that they will manage the donations for the cost of building while Salvo's http://www.salvationarmy.org.au/SALV/NEWSRELESE/PC_62629.html are the ones helping people now both material wise and money wise.

I dont mean to offend as donations are wonderful but theyve asked people to send their help to these organisations. Seriously consider how you wish to do this... Are you planning on handing it to the community centre operators? Theyve already said they arent accepting goods. Handing it directly to each person? How can you ensure people will only take as required.

Your heart is in the right place but unless you need to go to the Community Centres you are best to stay away as the only thing you will do by rocking up at the Centres is cause confusion, possible arguements and unnessesary use of resources.

erm who do you think centrelink are ?and if you think 1000 is enough thats a joke ...we give more to bloody overseas aid then we gave to our own people !

Centrelink grants and Government grants are two different things. Regardless, either way this thread is about the Bushfires so lets keep it that way hmm?

Centrelink grants and Government grants are two different things. Regardless, either way this thread is about the Bushfires so lets keep it that way hmm?
centrelink is not a private company ,its a government business ,therefore it is the government!:rolleyes:......and I hope you have given like all of us should do ,everyone helps out how they can so why put crap on them ? I am sure Mrs I has been told what to do before jumping on the band wagon so like I said give her some credit :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back