Australia's most commonnly kept pet?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pigysus

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are too common in Tasmania but i don't think there is a house in mainland Australia without one or two of these.

Attachments

• redback.jpg
    redback.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 160
I think you will find they are pretty much world wide

My nephew tried picking one up today.. Luckily I was there at the time to stop from getting to it.

Amazing creatures.

I believe the black widow, redback and brown button (I think) spiders are all pretty much the same. Redbacks from here, black widows from america and Brown buttons from africa. Dunno if europe and asia have anything similar, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The black widow detailsLatrodectus mactans http://www.bristolzoo.org.uk/learning/animals/invertebrates/black-widow-spider
The redback Latrodectus hasselti is also known as the jockey spider and i've often heard it said that it is an introduced species with early colonists. The species Latrodectus is pretty much world wide.
funnily enough they aren't protected anywhere , surprise surprise. Although I believe Australian wildlife legislation could probably be used to prosecute anybody wilfully causing harm to wildlife and i suppose redbacks fall under that heading.

I believe the black widow, redback and brown button (I think) spiders are all pretty much the same. Redbacks from here, black widows from america and Brown buttons from africa. Dunno if europe and asia have anything similar, but it wouldn't surprise me.

They are also found in New Zealand where they are called the Katipo.

And also in Greenland - Red backs would hide in tents, etc of backpackers and are now said to be in four continents in the world to date.

Also parts of Japan.

Last edited:
Its origins are uncertain, and it may have been spread by human activities during the 19th century. Redback spiders are now found in all but the most inhospitable environments in Australia. The Redback spider is commonly found in close proximity to human residences. Webs are usually built in dry, sheltered sites, such as among rocks, in logs, shrubs, old tires, sheds, outhouses, children's toys or under rubbish or litter.[4]

A related species is the brown widow spider, first located in Brisbane, Australia in 1987.

Introductions
Media in Japan have reported the discovery of Redback spiders in Osaka, Japan within a hundred kilometres of Kansai International Airport. It was speculated that they arrived in Japan by "hitching" a ride on the outside of airliners, or carried in cargoes of wood chips.[9] In 2008, Redback spiders were found in ***uoka, Japan. Over 700 have been found near the container terminal in Hakata Bay, ***uoka city. Warning signs about Redback spiders have been posted in parks around the city as Japan has had no poisonous spider before now.

Redback spiders are also found in small colonies in areas of New Zealand. These spiders were imported on Australian hardwood poles used for electric power and telephone. They are found around Central Otago in the South Island and New Plymouth in the North Island

Redbacks are only aussie?

From what I know, the closest thing to Red back out of australia is the Black Widow in the States..
sorry trouser you are just sooooooo wrong they are in new zealand , japan and quite a few other places , one of our biggest exports

They are also found in New Zealand where they are called the Katipo.

Na they're different, they are related to Red Backs and Black Widows though.
Katipo's are native to NZ, never saw one myself, probs because they're are endangered.

sorry trouser you are just sooooooo wrong they are in new zealand , japan and quite a few other places , one of our biggest exports

Yes we get the odd Red Back, but as far as I know they havn't established a population.

Attachments

• katipo.jpg
    katipo.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 48
A lot get shipped over seas in shipping containers and other cargo, I know that they have been found in large numbers around certain airports and shipping docks in Japan. So if theyre being found in Japan I dont see why they wouldnt be in a lot of other countries that Australia exports to aswell.

A outside toilet wouldnt be complete,if it didnt have a red back around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back