EWD Birth defect - any ideas??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gomeztime

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas regarding this hatchie that I've been raising that hatched out with it's lower limbs less than perfect. IT looks to me like the joint we would normally call our heel is back to front.

The animal doesn't appear to be affected that much, it eats well and is more dominant than some others in the group, but it does disturb me that this defect might not let it stay this way for ever. Does anyone have a veterinary opinion as to whether these joints could be re-set?

Cheers
Mal

Attachments

• DSC_0259.jpg
    DSC_0259.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_0258.jpg
    DSC_0258.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 118
temp fluctuations?

age and health of the mother?

calcium ?

who knows mate. poor thing. im sure he's easier to catch then the rest of them.

is there only one out of a clutch ? does the mother or fatehr have any deformaties at all ?

im no genius when it come to incubation but i did read a lengthy artical on how temp spikes cause varying forms of deformities ,

my water dragons alst season produced a clutch and incubated them as normal mid cookign the temp went up to 38 surprisingly they all hatched but a few were a bit NQR

awwww poor lil fella. Can he walk/climb with them or does he just drag them around by using his front legs?

The mother seems quite healthy, no deformities. Father is unreleated and also in great shape. The rest of his clutch were 100%, except for one runt that didn't make it. clutch size was 12. There is a second smaller clutch (9) due to hatch next week and I'm picking a third yet to be laid because the mother is gravid.

Incubation should have been OK. I use a bar fridge and the temps were around 29-30.

Calcium powder is provided to the mother and she seems in good health so I'd be surprised if that was the cause.

The hatchling can move it's legs just as well as the others. The point of contact is the issue as for the moment it's OK in the plastic tubs, but a more abrasive surface and more body weight is most probably going to wear through the skin on the contact point.

what do you do? euthenasia (how ever you spell it) or keep him in a big plastic tub for the rest of his life? take him to a vet I guess.

the joints may be able to be re aligned or simply could grow out fo it but you are up for a lifetime of commitmetn as it will not be something you can sell ,if your up for that keep him if not i think the wise thing to do is knock him , but having said that you would kick yourself if he became semi normal and could function well later in life

Sad, it doesn't look like he will grow out of it, but I am no expert.

Just my opinion, I would knock him also.

But this is entirely up to you of course.

Hope you work it out\or he gets better.

im sure he will be fine, they learn to adapt so fast, he wouldnt even know he is different, so long as he can get around, and you dont mind keeping him, then he will be fine!

I've seen a similar thing in blueys. The limbs/joints will strengthen over time as long as it has branches etc to climb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back