Ackies in a pit ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs I

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering whether anyone has kept ackies in a pit style set up with success.

Pics tips etc would be great.

Many Thanks

Mrs I

xxx

Hi Mrs I...
I havent kept Ackies in a pit; but Storrs... close enough.
They done very well; breeding...etc.
I remember the first time; I was changing substraight; moved a rock;
to see three baby Storrs under it.
Just provide a basking lamp for those cooler winter days.

Attachments

• 29091735 (Small).JPG
    29091735 (Small).JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 132
I have but no longer do so. I had experiences with heavy rain in cold weather drowning animals in burrows. The animals were too inactive to escape when the heavy rain hit. The drainage in these enclosures is very good (they are still used for cunninghams and land mullets) but a freak storm can never drain away fast enough. If you are going to set them up in this fashion, set up with an expectation for the worst.

Very good point Danny....
I failed to mention; behind the rock stocking's in that enclosure; is a buried 'foam box'.
Filled with sub-straight; a large flat piece of slate on top of it; then more rocks on top of that (heat soak).
The box provided a dry/dryer area; which had the only suitable laying substraight; with the rest of the enclosure being gravel....
Eggs would mostly be deposited within that box.
Storms were a hassle; often I'd still find myself running around covering the small pits with tarps when we had heavy rain.
Living where we do; the winter nights are cold; but the days are still fairly quite warm.
It helps to position the enclosure so it gets the maximum amount of sunning hours...
Even though; it wasn't unusual late in the day; to see a Storrs laying flat against the enclosure wall;
soaking up the last of the heat; left by the sun.

I didnt really think, but what i am thinking of doing will be undercover anyway so basically just a big open top enclosure under the patio area, so the rain wont actually get to it. I will suspend a uv and put in spot lamps for basking areas.

So i guess its more like an undercover enclosure pit lol...

Mrs I - I keep my Monitors in fish tanks indoors - seems to me to be VERY similar to your 'indoor' pit... ;)

I would still consider putting a mesh lid on the enclosure as they are exceptionally good at finding a way out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back