Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

indicus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
First it started with a coffee...milk was off; great.
I was on the phone pacing around the snake room;
looked up to see an adult blue tree snake part way through swallowing another....
thought I was seeing things at first; needless to say I freaked.
Opened the enclosure door; it spat the other out...live and well...phew!
These two have been in the same enclosure for a few years; guess they wanted a feed;
well one did.
Then just on dark this evening I walked down stairs;
seen a large tail disappear past the snake room door; which is the back door...
Ran outside and dived on a monitor....a mertens; wild; just about to walk into the snakeroom.
Fist one I've ever seen around here....normally further west.
I guess with the recent rain and floods; their out and about....
beats having crocs in the backyard I guess...
A walk down the creek; and away he went....wonder what tomorrow will bring ;)

Attachments

• Picture 3787.jpg
    Picture 3787.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Picture 3794.jpg
    Picture 3794.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 155
Hahaha, nice Tre. At least you were there both times. BTS could have eaten the other one and then been eaten itself!! LOL.

I often wondered if common tree snakes would be able to eat another snake of similar size, if they can get one half way down im guessing they may be able too.

Was strange that's for sure Tom; considering the length of time their been house together....
Chris; I seen a baby TS once eating itself.....it was half way through when I noticed it; after starting at the tail.
I found myself watching it with morbid interest....it got as far as it could go; right up to the neck.
Finally it just regurgitated itself; non the worse for the ordeal; weird little bugger.

Was strange that's for sure Tom; considering the length of time their been house together....
Chris; I seen a baby TS once eating itself.....it was half way through when I noticed it; after starting at the tail.
I found myself watching it with morbid interest....it got as far as it could go; right up to the neck.
Finally it just regurgitated itself; non the worse for the ordeal; weird little bugger.

That is just insane manthat would have had like 4 layers of snake by the time it got all the way up.... crazy.

Pics or it didn't happen LOL What a day, at least it was exciting for you :D

I often wondered if common tree snakes would be able to eat another snake of similar size, if they can get one half way down im guessing they may be able too.

One of the ppl we have bought blue ts from in the past has had one ts eat the other, (completly)

Both snakes died.

INDICUS - Glad you were there to catch it in thee act!! It is weird that the snake tried to eat the other after living together for so long.. Will you seperate them now, or just bump up the feeding?? lol

Ps. The story about the juvie eating itself is CRAZY!!! Never heard of a ts doing that to such an extent!!
Iv heard of ratsnakes, bhp's etc doing it, but never a ts!!

Last edited:
LMAO
Hey Tree, had that vision in my head and was ******* myself laughing. Just like a dog chasing it's tail, but this guy caught it!...lol
Too funny...
The monitors smiling in the second pic...

Haha might be a built in mechanism to stop snakes from starving to death during lean times.

Excitement I can do without Mudiman's...
I'll finish my 'good' coffee before venturing down there this morning :)
Good point Blindsnake; I think I'll feed them a bit more now....yes, slightly paranoid; crazy animals.
Cute little buggers Jewly; don't be fooled; he wants a piece of my hand...haha.
Hey Southside; would save on dog food; well at least one feed ;)
Yeah Ramsayi; very weird behaviour....goes to show they really react to movement;
even when it happens to be their own tail...nuts!

my beardies have a go at her own tail daily its funny to watch her running around in circles

Maybe if they try hard enough they eat their own head and dissapear into a parrallel universe.....lol

That's a fantastic looking monitor Tremain. Pity it's wild.

In breeding our own rodents, we've set loose our own fair share of coastals, including one that ate one of our chicks. Just waiting for a monitor though, we've had them before. This time we are prepared, no reptile nor fox, no matter how cunning will manage to eat our chooks or rodents :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back