Why won't my diamond eat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matty91

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a diamond python that is just under 2 years old and just under 4 feet in length. and lately everytime I try to feed him he won't eat it.I'm attempting to feed him weaner rats, and I have only been able to feed him once this year.

Any ideas why he won't eat and if something needs to be done?

Thanks.

A little more information (or even pictures) could help.

-For example what are the cage temps.
-How long have you had him for.
-How large is he.
-What is he housed in.
-What cage furniture does he have.
-Where in the house is the cage located.

I'll get some pictures in a minute.

-For example what are the cage temps. About 26°C
-How long have you had him for. Dec 2007
-How large is he. Just under 4 feet
-What is he housed in. 120cm x 60 x 60 (LxWxH)
-What cage furniture does he have. Hide box, large log, water bowl, little bit of fake leaves.
-Where in the house is the cage located. Where I've had him from the start, billiards room (which hasn't been used for months)

Firstly i would up the temperature to around 34c,was he a good eater b4 this,has anything changed recently.

Melbournes big heat week, which would be the only thing i could think of (if that would make a difference)

Do you provide any heat in the cage? 26 degrees is too cold. The snake should have access to a basking site of 32+ degrees during the day, however special care should be given to ensure the snake can escape to much cooler temps if it so desires.

Might want to check the snake for any signs of respiratory infection also.

lately everytime I try to feed him he won't eat it.I'm attempting to feed him weaner rats, .

how long has he been on weaner rats, is this new?

daytime temp about 32c (26 is a little cool) under the basking light, the rest of the enclosure as cool as room temps. no need to heat at night at all.
I use a timer that comes on at 8am and goes off at 6pm

how long has he been on weaner rats, is this new?

daytime temp about 32c (26 is a little cool) under the basking light, the rest of the enclosure as cool as room temps. no need to heat at night at all.
I use a timer that comes on at 8am and goes off at 6pm

nah he has been on the weaner rats for a while, and to me doesn't look like he needs a bigger rat yet. (Although this is my first snake so i am still learning things like that)

if you can weigh him, feed it about 10-20% of it's body weight, or make sure you see a nice size lump.
maybe the heat has put it off it's food, what's the max temps on those real hot days in the enclosure?

I don't have a thermometer in the enclosure but it was very hot although we had the air-con on pretty much all day.

i have never tried weighing him until now, does about 150g sound about right for a just under 4 feet diamond (although im guessing he would be quite underweight?

p.s since i have never tries it i dont know if it will be very accurate..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back