Which UV Fluro Tube Do You Use? Which Brand is Best?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The question of UV lighting is so complex. I keep alot of monitors and I find myself continuously revisiting questions on to use or not to use and then questions over which one will produce the best value for $. That website quoted above is a great site for researching but wish they would update some of the globes available.

First is to decide whether to use UV lights or not. I kind of looked back abit into the past and think many keepers before all the brands came out were using types that produced very little to no UV so it sort of begs to question do they really need it? If they were so successful on these set ups (that produced little to no UV), one has to wonder about the benefits.

I decided to go for UV lighting, more so on the belief that if I didn't Ill probably be the one that loses the alot. So I guess like many keepers its a comfort thing for me not wanting to take the risk. So the next question was what one will produce enough UV and how much is enough? I dont think people are in a position yet if ever to answer how much is enough. Trying to kill two birds with one stone and not wanting to pay extra for set up and regular replacement of tubes I went for the MVBs. I brought a few OzBright globes which at first were great for my needs, produced UV, were very bright light, and allowed me to maintain very high temps on the basking spot. But then they changed the design which changed everything. Not only could I no longer maintain my temps anymore, they regularly blew (after about 2 months). The main problem was that to maintain my temps at the basking spot (65 - 70oC) I had to lower the globe to about 12 cm from the surfaced which put the UV output at that distance to a too high level. I was kind of surprised to find out that these globes and Aussie Sun MVB and Zoo Meds Power Sun are all the same globe produced from china just packaged differently. Sometimes on the Aussie Sun and OzBright globes you would find Zoo med stamped on the neck. As for the Sun Seeker Im not 100% I know a few dragon breeders use it with success but to my knowledge no test to back it up everyone assumes its crap because its cheap. Lately Ive been using Solar Glo but not really 100% happy with, but as I dont own a meter Im only guessing and showing trust into the globe, for all I know it could be producing nothing but so far seen no decline in activity and health.

If you are after the best, top of the line, $$ is no barrier than MegaRay will be your globe. At the moment Im um-ming and arr-ring over whether its worth the extra cost which I find is MegaRays biggest hurdle on the market, especially for me as I have about 9 cages to fit out. The most common problem with all these globes (referring to MVBs) is that they are very fragile and easily blow if the power supply isn't stable and reliable. If say they charged $50 a globe everyone would be moving over to them no doubt. I think the tubes can still be useful but having to replace them at $30 - 70 each every 6 months isn't the best and most efficient way to use your money.

Great Post Bushfire!!

You have made some really good points, like I said, it is a matter of trial and error and what suits your own pets needs, maybe the dragons\reptiles require UV at their own individual rate?? Not sure..

We need to fit out 28 enclosures with MVB's, we invested at one stage in Megarays for 10 of them to see how they performed (we have access to UVA and UVB meters). The Megarays put out a decent amount of UV in both spectrums, we then tested the cheaper globes and found they put out almost the same, but still within what a reptile requires. The megarays lasted about 3 months longer but cost 3 times the price, the sunseekers were very reliable and produced acceptable UV for about 11 months......at $33, replacing both heat globes and UV tubes you do the math.

Did you have the chance to record the UVA\UVB output of the Sunseeker?

Can I borrow your UV meter to run my own benchmark testing? :D J/K

As I mentioned we have access to, not own, I will look around and see if I can find what we were given by our friend who did the tests......I know that they were all tested at 60cm from the globe, to ensure that a fair comparison but the actual results I cannot remember...

$33 snakehandler?, do you get the 160watt reflectors, i get the $15 100 watt globes, i havent tried the reflector ones, how much heat do they put out?
BT

I also bought mine for $33 (Sunseeker 100W) it is not a reflector type though.

It is the long narrow lamp. Not producing enough heat for my enclosure..

BTW: Shingles seems heaps more active since installing the Repti Glo 10, or could it be that he gets about 1 hour of natural sunlight a day..

I bought a solarmeter 6.2. Solarmeter.com. They cost about USD180, ex freight. You can buy them in Australia from some professional tanning supplies companies but they will cost approximately 30-50% more than from the US site.

Like Francis from uvguide, I've tested

Tubes..
Reptistar tubes
Reptiglow 10
NEC T-10

MVB
Osram Ultravitalux
Mega Ray 60 Watt externally ballasted
Aussie Sun (from Brian)

Personally, the Megaray takes it for me and once you've purchased the externally ballasted kit then you only need to buy new bulbs which are much cheaper than the initial purchase. I've also found animalattractoin to be awesome re customer service. They have replaced underwarranty one of the megarays that didn't work, so pretty good service too.

The Meter is an awesome tool and not that expensive when compared with all the other crap you end up buying. Not only can you review your lamps performance but you can go outside and learn more about what the sun actually produces at different times of the year. You really don't know what you lamps are doing till you have a meter. It helps with positioning the lamp, measuring decay and evaluating different types of lamps you purchase. You'll also see first hand the difference reflectors make to the tubes (no difference for MVB).

Cheers

We have recently received a REALLY BAD lot of sunseekers, we have had to get 2 replaced after only 2 days of use....NOT good enough...for years we were very satisfied......now?????

We are trying to get hold of a heap of globes and do a long term study on UV globes, both MVB and fluoro tubes.....we will be recording data for a period of 12 months, at least then we will be able to make an informed choice.....BTW most of our reptiles are able to get a few hours a day of natural sun.......there is no subsitute for real UV......perhaps we will be spending more on globes soon if this new lot of Sunseekers are going to perform in a similar manner.

G'day All,
Just like to put my 2 bobs worth in. Up until 4 years ago, I kept and bred Inland Beardies For 12 years, breeding 100+ a year, with lots of my offspring winning many prizes for best in show, and still are. I was using Zoomed fluros which cost anywhere from $30 to $70, depending on size, the supplier for those globes was PETS PACIFIC at PENRITH or that's who used to have the rights in Australia, These guys are RIPPING YOU OFF. There were 5 of us who got together and used to buy bulk fluros, food and accessories from the USA and saved $100's of dollars each order, the $65 3 foot fluros here (Zoomed) were $21.75 AUS from the US. I was doing this with 5 of us for 6 years. For the last 6 years I was put onto NEC Blacklight by a friend, I only put them in 4 of my 10 Beardie tanks for a 12 month trial with no change what so ever, the breeding quantity and quality stayed the same, I totally changed to them, this for the next 5 years saved me $1000's just in Fluros. I used these also for my Monitors and Turtles with great results. And I know that the person that put me onto them still uses NEC and still having great success in raising his Reptiles.
There are so many independent testers out there which do you trust.

Like I said Just my 2 bobs worth.

Kirby you have some great looking Beardies.

Cheers,
Michael.

For the last 6 years I was put onto NEC Blacklight by a friend, I only put them in 4 of my 10 Beardie tanks for a 12 month trial with no change what so ever, the breeding quantity and quality stayed the same, I totally changed to them, this for the next 5 years saved me $1000's just in Fluros.l.

What model NEC lights?

What model NEC lights?
G'day Talwin,
Nec T10 Blacklight at only $12.50 for 2 footer at most lighting shops. I had branches that were within 8 inches of the light. Also remembering that reptiles that require this type of lighting also need to get into natural sunlight at least 3 times a week for 20-30 min, keeping an eye on them so they don't overheat and always have a shaded area so the can escape the sun if it gets to hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back