Arcadia Lamp Reflector

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jibba

Reaction score
I was thinking of making my own, but I doubt I could make it look pro as it is in the pic below:

Attachments

• Ref.JPG
    Ref.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 68
i use foil, or the Aqua one fittings have similar.

I took off the holders cover, wrapped it with foil and installed again.

How effective is this compared to a smooth much more reflective Arcadia Reflector??

I tried everywhere to find the arcadia reflector and gave up. In the end I got some aluminium sheet from bunnings for $15, and beat it into the shape of a reflector. Attach two curtain rail holders and put heat shrink over the curtain rail holders. I've got a UV meter (solarmeter) just like Francis from UV Guide and the results are about the same (ie double the normal lamp output) with the aluminium sheet.

I have seen reflectors recently at a pet shop, but not arcadia. Keep your eye out at the aquarium shops if you choose not to make one like I did. I've made two now. It's not that hard. About an hours worth of preparation and you'll save yourself hours searching for the arcadia

Thanks guys.

Markas, is that for a double fluro tube? Either way thanks for the link, as I think that may be it. :)

single lamp, but what we do for our tanks is to trim the side off each one. But I think you can get a "W" which is a double. just email Andries

I can't recall any real info off the top of my head, but you need to do some research to see if foil will indeed reflect the UV rays, or will it simply absorb it?

Maybe contact a glazier and see if they have any glass mirror offcuts.

Oh I fully understand that the branded ones work :) I've read that article in the past, too.

I was just inquiring about those that have made them themselves with standard catering foil.

Mirror has less reflection than the posished aluminium, the light must penetrate the glass twice before it's reflected back.
Also the glass absorbs the UV content of the light.
The aluminium foils works but, but all the creases and wrinkle make the reflected light shoot off in all different directions.
What ever reflector you install, make sure you earth it to th lightfitting, I've seen some of these "liven-up".

Yeah it sounds logical to earth the reflector.

Re: Foil Wrap, I also had the exact same feeling that the reflection would be shooting off all over the place due to the creases and inconsistency.

Just purchased the reflector of guppies and confirmed that it will fit my 24".

Thanks Markas!! Appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back