Mantis Care

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LauraM

Reaction score
Hey guys

I was just wondering what people keep there Pet mantis in and what they feed them etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated

They will eat any type on insect that is about 1/3 of their body length. This includes flies, crickets, woodies etc. You have to spray them with water 1-2 times per day or you can keep a moist sponge at the bottom of the cage as well so their is water even if your not around to spray it.

They also prefer taller enclosures because they like to climb

Hope this helps

Love my mantises

A few of my mantis feeding shots, I love em!
P1440504_mantis_b.jpg
P1440465_mantis_a.jpg

[video=youtube;rgyJvHbSTjY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgyJvHbSTjY[/video]

And silly people think corn snakes could overrun Australia :D :D :D

I didnt know people kept them as pets. they actually look pretty cool

yep, mantises are pretty fun, they can be absolute pigs and are great to watch feeding and cleaning themselves after their meals

I used to keep mine in critter cages or exo-terra tanks. All i did was add some sticks, rocks, leaves and sprayed them once a day. They used to drink droplets off my finger tips! Feed any insects but make sure they dont eat your mantid! Doesnt really matter what size food as they will stop eating when they are done.

S6302972.jpg

S6302970.jpg

Daniel

how big do they get? and whats there life span?

adult mantis sizes varies between species, as it does in reptiles :)

So where is the best place to get a large mantis? they look pretty awesome

I've always caught mine, or grown them up after breeding them from ones I've caught. They're very cool insects, they're very alert and they're ferocious predators! They'll eat things larger than themselves :)

Two of ours produced oothecae (egg sacs) this evening :)

I haven't taken many photographs of mantids for years, but some may remember my old friend Muffin the mantid. I posted pictures of her two or three years ago. There are still four in one of my old online albums:

MantidmuffinSWWWWW.jpg

MantidmuffinSWWW.jpg

MantidmuffinSWW.jpg

MantidmuffinSW.jpg

I recently took a few of one of ours in threat display, but I'm too lazy to play with the albums these days! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back