What temps do Asian House Geckos prefer??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainbow-Serpent

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls!

I'm catching some Asian house geckos, putting them into an enclosure, and studying each indiviudal over a period of days before releasing, What temperature do they prefer?

And also, Would they eat crickets?

Thanks for your help!:D

- Jordan.

any temp over boiling point works.
as an introduced species I dont think any wildlife authority would condone keeping them

hehe or you could freeze em and then feed them to your lizard eaters?
or serve em up to the local kookurburras and magpies

Dont listen to any one, I was the same at your age.
What a stupid question, why do you want to keep them? Well why are you on a reptile forum!?

Any way..
I'm sure room temp will be fine, they seem to be pretty hardy species, and they are nocturnal so they come out in the cooler temps of night when its in the mid-low 20's, and i'm sure it wont drop below that in your house.
They should eat anything that moves.

you should catch those lil garden skinks. there tons more interesting. then release them back. i used to keep em for a lil while, very active, especially when you feed em and when you mist them inthe morning. when they are about to lunge at prey they sorta put their bodies into a sorta 's' shape like snakes do..u'll know what i mean if you see it happen

Dont listen to any one, I was the same at your age.
What a stupid question, why do you want to keep them? Well why are you on a reptile forum!?

Any way..
I'm sure room temp will be fine, they seem to be pretty hardy species, and they are nocturnal so they come out in the cooler temps of night when its in the mid-low 20's, and i'm sure it wont drop below that in your house.
They should eat anything that moves.
Thank You!!:)

We have a billion of them crawling all around our house and especially outside, so I'll probably keep them outside where their normal temps are,
Thats good because I can only buy crickets lol, I will probably be buying a breeding box to breed food for them too! :D

I'm not sure about Qld regs, but down here, if your caught keeping exotic species you risk a hefty fine, (particularly one that is fast becomming a pest)

you should catch those lil garden skinks. there tons more interesting. then release them back. i used to keep em for a lil while, very active, especially when you feed em and when you mist them inthe morning. when they are about to lunge at prey they sorta put their bodies into a sorta 's' shape like snakes do..u'll know what i mean if you see it happen
Awesome! Might have a crack at them too! :)

what are you hoping to learn from studying them, they sit there, smell and have mites. look under there fingernails, you will see small orange things. catch some garden skinks, they are more fun and not a ugly pest. house geckos are good food though, you could breed them and freeze the babys and sell them as food for hatchling snakes.

They're a feral species that displaces our native geckoes - get rid of them! At the very least don't ENCOURAGE them by feeding.. Next you'll be feeding cane toads..

lol ryan i had the same idea but with the garden skinks.. was gunna use em to feed trouble hatchies etc. i caught things from my garden to feed em but it was seriously a hassle so i let em go.

what are you hoping to learn from studying them, they sit there, smell and have mites. look under there fingernails, you will see small orange things. catch some garden skinks, they are more fun and not a ugly pest. house geckos are good food though, you could breed them and freeze the babys and sell them as food for hatchling snakes.
I am hoping to learn all about them :D

I could do that, but what sorts of snakes eat baby geckos?

My baby snake just eats rats...

That's a bit ironic coming from you Ryan :lol:
(dw I wont tell!;))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back