Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaylaismyth

Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Kayla and my interest in reptiles (though MAINLY snakes) has persisted for quite some years. I'm 16 and in my last year of school. I already own a cat whom I've had for 8 years and my family 'co owns' a dog named Stitch so he's around every now and again. We had another cat, my cat Smokey's brother, but he had to be put down at the very beginning of this year plus my mother passed away in December and it's been quite lonely. Since primary school I've always wanted a pet snake but my Nana (my guardian, the woman who's been my mother since I was 2 pretty much) said she wasn't comfortable with the fact that it'd cost so much and she is squeamish with feeding little animals to snakes.

Recently due to loss in the family I've felt a huge desire to have another pet, maybe one thats very companion-like. I settled on the idea that my boyfriend and I could have pet ducks at his house. There were lots of if's and maybe's so that idea wasn't so stable. My Nana and I got distracted by the pet store today and just out of no where... Nana is looking at little baby turtles, and is very keen on them. But then when the pet store staff tell her they get bigger, her hopes went down a little. She thought they were just so darn cute! I had been looking at the Spotted Python hatchies earlier and when I half-jokingly said I'd still be wanting to get a snake, she seemed keen and happy for me to start my interest! And so, we got the man to walk us around and tell us about equipment that we need, food, handling, housing, etc.

I've just come home from putting a deposit on a snake enclosure, 60$ on a 150$ which was a left over stock from last year, it was supposed to be 400$ or something. Very thrilled with the price! Next week I'll pay it all out and my collection of snake housing and accommodation will start! I got the forms for my Reptile License application and once I've gotten the majority of all my gear, I'll be sending it in and getting my snake!

I've been looking at the Spotted and Stimson pythons and told their temperments are very good and usually are only bitey when they are young and still getting adjusted to their environment and new owner. So Im hoping to get one of them. The pet store man said that they're going to become very rare shortly due winter/colder weather just around the corner so hopefully i'll have gotten everything before snakes vanish from the stores!

So, if anyone out there has ANY ideas, opinions that they could give... Anything you wanna say, feel free! Since I've never really had a snake before (back in the days we used to sometimes capture the bearded dragons in our back yard and 'tame' them) i'd really like as much information as possible! My knowledge is not low and I have a fair idea on food, housing, husbandry and the like, but anything else you can give me is most welcome! :D

Hey, sorry you had such a bad year. Hopefully things will get better for you. I just wanted to welcome you to aps and advise you to buy from a breeder (check the for sale section here and at herptrader.com) as it is a cheaper option and you will get better quality. Good luck.

welcome to aps!!
Most hatchling snakes will be alittle snappy only cause there scared,so make sure in the cage you have heaps of hides so your little snakie feels safe.You can also buy spotteds off pvt breeders there prices are lower then petshops most of time.
cheers

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I checked two pet stores today, one where Im buying the enclosure from, the Spotted Pythons (two available) there were 295$ and the other was selling Spotted and Stimson Pythons for 495$. Thing is I dont think I'll be buying my snake for a couple more weeks, possibly up to a month or longer I'm not entirely sure as of yet when I'll have it or if it'll be too late to purchase one?

I am a little nervous about being bitten by my snake when I first get it so how can I minimize the chance of it happening?

with the biting, a small stimmy or spotted wont hurt. i have a yearling childrens python (same family) that is 55 cm long, and can't break my skin (only time he has bitten me was when i was feeding him and he missed the mouse :p). They generally have great temperaments. one way to minimise bites would be to use a hook to get the snake out of the enclosure, because most bites are when you are taking them out of it. any more questions give us a yell.

with the biting, a small stimmy or spotted wont hurt. i have a yearling childrens python (same family) that is 55 cm long, and can't break my skin (only time he has bitten me was when i was feeding him and he missed the mouse :p). They generally have great temperaments. one way to minimise bites would be to use a hook to get the snake out of the enclosure, because most bites are when you are taking them out of it. any more questions give us a yell.

Thanks, I'll make sure to remember that! :D

welcome!!! oOOo and cool spotteds are a great first snake.. We absolutely love ours.. But be aware it really is adictive!!! like anything else i guess...... anyways enjoy your time here

Hey Kayla, I'm a breeder, and I sell feeding spotty hatchies for $120 pm me if interested, I'm in Victoria.

hey, good work on getting all the info you need you seem very up to date and keen and should be looked after here.
send your licence in asap as they can sometimes take a while to get back to you also as everyone has said go through a breeder its no more complicated than going through a petstore and in most cases they are more helpful, accurate and can provide you with years of help and advice after your purchase.
well done on the research so far

I checked two pet stores today, one where Im buying the enclosure from, the Spotted Pythons (two available) there were 295$ and the other was selling Spotted and Stimson Pythons for 495$. Thing is I dont think I'll be buying my snake for a couple more weeks, possibly up to a month or longer I'm not entirely sure as of yet when I'll have it or if it'll be too late to purchase one?

You can definitely get them cheaper from a breeder, breeders will also be more valuable when it comes to advice.

Welcome to the site.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

welcom to the site
beware of the fire breathing ogers

295 is to much for a common stimmie check out www.herptrader.com.au
and this site and if you want to get really into it try the australian herpatological classifideds just google it and it will give you the site you have to sign up but it costs nothing.

you shouldnt be paying more than 250 for a standard stimmo or spotted python and no more the 200 for a standard childrenii

Hey Kayla...And Welcome to APS...As others have said...Think about it before you purchase a Snake...

At a Pet shop, you will easily pay $100 or more than if you buy off a Breeder from this site of any others...

But, in saying that... At least with a Pet Store.. You can expect some after Sales Customer care, if required... Depending who you buy off ( APS Site or other), you would expect the same, but it is not guaranteed... So before you buy...Do a bit of browsing, ask a few questions... Even make a post asking for Reputable Breeders of Your chosen Snake.. Actually I am sure some of the people on here could list Reputable Breeders of Stimmies now... For you to think About...

And yeah... A Small Stimmie bite wont hurt... I have been bitten by a 6ft Carpet python, And I will say that hurt a lil... More shock then anything...

Welcome Again.... And read read read.... Thats the way you learn everything you need to...

Take Care .. Rick :)

Thanks so much for the advice! I've been reading everyone's advice and looking at people selling and trying to gather as much information I can all day and I will continue to do so over the next few weeks, I want everything to go nice and smoothly.

Hey Kayla...And Welcome to APS...As others have said...Think about it before you purchase a Snake...

At a Pet shop, you will easily pay $100 or more than if you buy off a Breeder from this site of any others...

But, in saying that... At least with a Pet Store.. You can expect some after Sales Customer care, if required... Depending who you buy off ( APS Site or other), you would expect the same, but it is not guaranteed... So before you buy...Do a bit of browsing, ask a few questions... Even make a post asking for Reputable Breeders of Your chosen Snake.. Actually I am sure some of the people on here could list Reputable Breeders of Stimmies now... For you to think About...

And yeah... A Small Stimmie bite wont hurt... I have been bitten by a 6ft Carpet python, And I will say that hurt a lil... More shock then anything...

Welcome Again.... And read read read.... Thats the way you learn everything you need to...

Take Care .. Rick :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back