Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Dar1stheory,
Firstly, Welcome!

Secondly,
Can I clarify some information?
So far, your snake has only eaten his 'meal' after you've left it in his enclosure.
True?

If so, we've purchased several hatchies that have been like that, including a coastal. Now, however, most of them are fine feeders. I have assumed that the 'eating of the floor of the enclosure' must be a habit they've developed with their previous breeder. I mean, if you've got 40+ hatchies, and a full time job etc. etc., you might not have time to supervise each feed, so with some of the fussy feeders, they just leave the mouse in there, and let the snake take its time to to feed.
At least, this is a method some breeders have told me of.

Your enclosures look great and so do the snakes. Your coastal looks unusual. Like he is hypo on the body but with dark mask on his head, I would be interested in seeing more pix of him, too.

I am sorry if I came across abrupt. It is difficult to separate criticism from sarcasm on a forum, but your words to me seemed over whelmed. BUT, all is good. Good luck with your pets :)

err coastal ? :shock:

I must have marbles for eyes, but that is a stimons

maybe your offering him the wrong size?
was it ever feeding?
have you tried skinks urine rubbed in it (mouse)?
was it being assist fed.
have you contacted the seller to give you some after sale support.?
will it try live pinkys?
does it strike at your hand instead of the food, (try longer tongs)
are you thawing the food enough?
i could go on, but i will leave that for the next person.

my ocastal which i have had for three years has never eaten from tongs, all i do is leave it on the floor and he gets it in less than a minute, so dont stress its normal.

bravo

Unfortunately, the title of you post is correct, if you aren't born with the knowledge like every one on this site is, then you can go some where else!
Didn't you know that no one on here has ever been a newbie!?

good on u on u mate ive just found this site not that long back 90per crnt of people on here r brilliant that 10 percent that critisise r fools

Hi, I have looked at your pic of your Juvie McDowelli... You are SO right... It is VERY ugly, so how about you give it to me??? I collect 'ugly' snakes!!! Lol. Awesome looking little one- I love the dark hood. Congrats on an unusual snake.

I am blessed- none of my snakes want to kiss me anymore- I use Dettol Instant Hand Sanitiser before handling them... One 'kiss' and they never did it again!!!! Might work for you.

As for the food question (Please bear in mind I am NOT an expert)... How much exercise can your snake get?? My guys get out on the lawn at least THREE times a week for a good 30 mins (Some people are against 'outside' time. My snakes do their business out there then too) and usually come back in side to prowl the cage after the second 'nature walk' for a meal.

What temps did the shop 'experts' tell you to have your snake at? I would imagine a southern Qld locale Coastal would need a different temp to Nth Qld locale... Anyone with more knowledge please feel free to correct me!! And is there any chance your snake's enclosure could be in a place where it has a cool draft touch it? I have noticed one of my snake's change it's behaviour because of a draft!

Have you purchased the book called "Keeping Carpet Pythons" by Simon Kortlang & Darren Green?? Darren has a wealth of information, and I have enjoyed picking his brains on a number of issues... Sorry Darren!! I bought mine direct from 'Australian Reptile Keeper Publications'... It was very cheap, but has lots of valuable information.

I think that is all I can add for now.

maybe your offering him the wrong size?

I had this issue just recently with my woma juvenile. Offered prey every 6 days or so with absolutely no luck, he couldn't have been any less interested. About a month or so into this I finally offered him a left over pinkie mouse, thinking it was too small but worth a shot. He wouldn't take it from tongs, but I left it on top of a hide and it was gone in 10 minutes.

He took 3 more pinkies in that one evening, I sat quietly and watched him eat the second two, and I have realised that my woma is just as spastic as all the others I've heard of. He nibbles on the pinkie first, then picks it up in his mouth, takes it down to ground level and only then proceeds to eat it. It's the first time I've seen the woma 'tasting' behaviour that I've read about. It's really quite cute to watch.

Hes unusual but definately a nice looking snake. I have just started using dettol hand sanitiser and i agree. I think it definately works

Thanks everyone,

Just to clarify for those with marbles for eyes:shock: lol, the one on the branch is my Stimson, and the one with the toilet roll is the unusual looking coastal....

And yeah the previous owner did mention that he feeds his adult breeding pair of coastal's rats by simply throwing them thawed out in to the bottom of the enclosure, so I would imagine he probably had the same habit with the juveniles. So if he continues to eat that way I'm happy with that, was just curious about whether anybody thought that this method had any negative sides to it...

I have some funny pics of him eating his first mouse (since I've had him) the other night, looks very strange having the huge lump in his throat with such a skinny little body!

Wild_Storm you mentioned giving the snakes a walk on the lawn, do they ever try and run? Anyone else with experiences like this? I'd be so worried with the Stimson in particular being the more expensive of the two, he's not too quick getting around in my hands etc, but is there a good chance I might lose him if he warms up and makes a break under the neighbours fence?

Hey Dar1stheory, we take our snakes outside from time to time, but they're never too quick for us. We just stay right with them cos there's a few birds around, you never know what might swoop down! But they've always been easy to catch again!! :D
And as much as I enjoy watching our snakes that have a great feeding response, I am more confident handling those that don't stike their food. I believe if they're not gonna strike at a rat, they're less likely to strike at me too!!
Congrats on your 'ugly' little coastal-looks very nice-can't wait to see some more pics.

Unusual indeed, that coastal has alot of dark colour on its face; possibly has a melanin imbalance. But this is not a bad thing :D

He could possibly be an interesting snake send a pic or two on forum as he grows up.

Ummmm..... I never take out more than 2 snakes at a time, but I have never had any trouble with any of them. I try to make sure they get plenty of sun... The thing to remember is that the hotter it is, (the quicker the 'battery' in your snake will heat up) the faster your snake will get hot and move faster. I think my younger snakes are pretty quick, but none of them have ever run away.

Lol... Mind you- my BHP goes 'hunting' to where she can smell rats... She keeps heading to one place!! I am a firm believer that they need the exercise. I only use my hands, and if they are getting too close to the fence I just pick them up & move them back away form the fence.

........Wild_Storm you mentioned giving the snakes a walk on the lawn, do they ever try and run? ........
:lol: that sounds so funny. My snakes love going for a walk except my snakes don't have legs so they have to slither. They usually just cruise around or stop still with their heads up looking around. My olives are pretty quick. I haven't lost them but I reckon if they really wanted to they could get away from me. They seem have lightning speed.

Lol. Kath, nah... They know when they are on a good thing. My BHP cruises around wth her tail up... Sort of like a Siamese cat!!! It was VERY hot up here the other day & another of my snakes is a quicker variety, but I still managed to kee him pretty close by. Just one at a time until your confidence builds up. I remember the first time I spoke to an APS member about out-time... I was very worried about loosing the snake- but so far (fingers crossed) I have been lucky.

Well I got a couple more pics of my stimson, showing off on the branch for me last night!

Attachments

• Snake Pics 04.03.09 009.jpg
    Snake Pics 04.03.09 009.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 30
  • Snake Pics 04.03.09 013.jpg
    Snake Pics 04.03.09 013.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back