best substrate for beardies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

best beardie substrate

• sand (play sand)

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • sand (red desert sand)

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • kittie litter

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • newsapaper

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • fake grass (forget wat it was called)

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • tiles (stick ons)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • tiles (tile stuff the hard 1s)

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • none of the above

Votes: 9 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bulionz

hi i was just wondering wats the best and if its not in the poll say it in the thread i no theres some other threads but i wanted to see my own and atm the substrate looks so ugly (newspaper)

and i thourght sand aint good ive used it be4 but i was told about impaction and i saw 1 of the beardies licking the sand so i changed it strate to newspaper

i use news paper its cheap always available and easy to clean the enclosures with. an d i just put a tub with sand in more for my females if they are gravid

ok but wat about tiles they look better easy to clean and how much do tiles and tile cuttes cost

never used them , will have to ask people have have used them

ok but wat about tiles they look better easy to clean and how much do tiles and tile cuttes cost

It all depends on the quality of the tile and the amount purchased. The quality is the main factor behind the price of tile cutters.

I got my slate tiles from bunnings here are the costs:

Tile: 450x450mm $12 each (or there abouts)
Cutter: Diamond Tipped Slate Cutter (for side grinder) $25.00

The cutter basically slices through it.. Easy as...

just started using sugar cane mulch its nice and cheap, no compaction and looks alot better than newspaper

newspaper is the best but very boring. I have tried other options but I always end up going back to newspaper

bunnings will cut your tiles for free.... well, they did mine.. :p

bunnings will cut your tiles for free.... well, they did mine.
were they cut strait and how many did they break in the process?

Tile: 450x450mm $12 each (or there abouts)
Cutter: Diamond Tipped Slate Cutter (for side grinder) $25.00

The cutter basically slices through it.. Easy as...
it also slices through your hands, and shins...and anything else it comes in contact with.. Easy as...

Tiles.. wears down nails, insects can't get under it, holds heat.. Newspaper would be next best.

and no that above post was not a mock up of jibbas advice. its a great idea and im sure very helpful for bulionz just take care if you choose that option as last week a 15 year old apprentice working opposite where i was working cut right through his shin just below the knee (bone included) with an angle grinder with a slate/concrete cutting blade and it literally went through like butter. took the blink of en eye for everything to go from normal to the whole pipe he was trimming being covered in blood.

YES!!! Dan, my husband was cutting decorative slate tiles all last week with an angle grinder, for our enclosures,, and on the very last tile, when he was tired and a bit blase, he slipped and cut his finger... not too bad, but just a cm to the left and he would have lost 2 fingers, easy!!!

We have astroturf / fake grass as the substrate for our baby beardie, he LOVES it!! We had him on paper, but as soon as we put in the astroturf (after he tasted it for ages!), he started running on it, and he loves to run around on it, because it has good traction!

and no that above post was not a mock up of jibbas advice. its a great idea and im sure very helpful for bulionz just take care if you choose that option as last week a 15 year old apprentice working opposite where i was working cut right through his shin just below the knee (bone included) with an angle grinder with a slate/concrete cutting blade and it literally went through like butter. took the blink of en eye for everything to go from normal to the whole pipe he was trimming being covered in blood.

So now he knows how to use one correctly.... It's just a learning experience from the school of hard knocks.. watch the kick on a big 10 inch ;)...

So now he knows how to use one correctly.... It's just a learning experience from the school of hard knocks.. watch the kick on a big 10 inch ;)...

Agree, I should have probably stated some sort of warning.. Although I am not a tradesman, I have all the tools I need and grew up working outdoors with the old man..

Bulionz, make sure you get someone a little older if you wanted to do this. Also, eye protection is essential..

Kickbacks, yes, very VERY dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back