Sexing Monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mick w

Reaction score
is there any way to sex monitors visually or any way other people do it ive got some sandys the same age but one is a fair bit bigger could that one possibly be a male or he just eats more other monitors also.:|

sexings monitors

lts really easy to do, you put them in a string bag and the pricks fall out the bottom...LOL.....SOLAR 17

hey mick, some people will tell u they can but imo its best to just get them x-rayed, a friend of mine took a ridgetail to a reptile place in s.a recently one person who worked there said definatly female the other said definatly male so its always best to be sure especially if ur going to be putting monitors together that u dont no the sex of them

think i will get them x-rayed does anyone know how much that costs

i got afew quotes in adel awhile ago i dont remember where was the cheapest tho, what part of the country are u in? someone on here might no a good place near you

Hi mick w,

An x-ray won't pick up much unless their approx:2 years old, or more. I believe their looking for "ossifications" near the tail base if it's a male/ none in the little girly.

I had some Spencers done a few years ago and it cost me about a hundred bucks each, couldn't tell you today's prices though!!

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

I.V.

Hi I.V does it go on size or age like if a yearling lace is bigger then a two year old? (which may happen depending on how much you feed them

im in port pirie so ill go get a quote their just over 2 years of age now their housed together and i havnt had any problems with them yet

Hi mick m,

It may be a bit pricey, but it's a sure way to tell what you've got; not too sure on the age/ size issue Snakkkeo, I waited until they were 2 years + before taking them to a vet (they were also seperated during this time).

Perhaps someone else may be able to help with this one?

Well, if they squabble, they are probably the same sex, other than that, xrays is the best way.

IVE had lacies x-rayed . im not that good at reading them but at the time was told female . then 6 months later i seen the hemipeds pop out after putting a new monitor in the cage ,. so shes a he that got excited . so getting a x-ray is one thing having someone that knows how to read them seems to be another thing ..

male sandys are alot bigger and solider than females,but its easier to tell with adults,being fast growing,if fed enough you could have 2 males to,one just eating more,how old are they,what length are they,you will need to wait till there big enough for exrays to work,as it wont pick anything up in younger males

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back