The Most Terrifying Plane Landings :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Well, just the ones that were videoed!

Good luck if you're flying soon.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25126073-17102,00.html

Scroll down and click on the various vids.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/gallery/0,23607,5037239-5007153,00.html

Then view the places where they occur!!!

0,,6467720,00.jpg

:shock: that one plane looked like it was gonna land in the water for a minute. No way id be standing on that beach!

Lol its like a certain fishing spot in Cairns, Planes cuiz straight over your head,

Bugger goin to those places. Bit too scetchy for me.

I did once go here:

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&amp...TsJpnOA3ioEtcI9rx_v7gyZqlolGTYw"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&amp...n=0.004107,0.006909&amp;z=17&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Was in a 12 seater cessna. They land from the side with the mountain. Before landing they get a guy to drive up the runway (gravel) and scare off all the roo's.

my pic uploading skills need urgent attention.
twice tried and twice failed.

THANKS Slim............... I leave for England on 9th April.............. some friend YOU are!!!! LOL

Bugger goin to those places. Bit too scetchy for me.

Was in a 12 seater cessna. They land from the side with the mountain. Before landing they get a guy to drive up the runway (gravel) and scare off all the roo's.

Forgot to mention the wind gust which nearly blew us into the ground when were about to touch down.

Here goes. 3rdtime luck with pics.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 52
  • untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 62
:shock: that one plane looked like it was gonna land in the water for a minute. No way id be standing on that beach!

No, you're right.... I think I'd be lying down!!! :D

Lol its like a certain fishing spot in Cairns, Planes cuiz straight over your head,

Where? I want to go there and lie down :D

THANKS Slim............... I leave for England on 9th April.............. some friend YOU are!!!! LOL

Hahahahahaha - woops... I mean, sorry, hope Heathrow is working well on that day. i mean how do they do it? The world's busiest airport? :D

Forgot to mention the wind gust which nearly blew us into the ground when were about to touch down.

Here goes. 3rdtime luck with pics.

Yeah, not my cuppa tea.... I'm a land lover really!

Just remember any landing where you can walk away alive and unharmed is a good landing!

Hey slim6y have you ever landed at the airport in Wellington?
That one scared the crap out of me the 1st time, thought we were going straight into the water! Sort of similar to your pic, minus the water at the other end of the tarmac.

Hey slim6y have you ever landed at the airport in Wellington?
That one scared the crap out of me the 1st time, thought we were going straight into the water! Sort of similar to your pic, minus the water at the other end of the tarmac.

four times actually :)

And each time I got in a smaller and smaller aircraft... From a 737 to a twin turbo prop Saab to a smaller one (don't know what sort) twice...

Each time I felt the wind beneath the wings, and the tail, and the hull, and the.... haha...

Queenstown is far scarier... Dropping 3000fpm (normal is around 1800 to 2000fpm then about 500fpm).... You need special rating to fly 737s or similar into Qtown!

Been into Queenstown before too but don't really remember it, was a bit young.
Been into Wellington about 6 times, and hated every second of it. Always windy, planes rocking from side to side what looks like 1 metre above the water.

Ive had a few bad landings. The worst was the time the wind gusted from my left all of a sudden and almost flipped me onto my roof :|

Its cool though if you're prepared for the wind and its constant, then you land on one wheel :D

The very first time I flew the landing wasn't the greatest. As we were coming into Melbourne airport, the plane kept dropping into air pockets, and then as we came in to land the plane was being tossed from side to side but luckily as we got closer to the ground the plane stabilised and it was a fairly smooth landing.

Can't say the same for Sydney. We hit with such a thud that even the air hostess said over the loud speaker..'If anyone managed to remain asleep during that landing you'd sleep through anything..lol'. The landing into Melbourne last weekend was a bit scary too. We came in so fast and we actually bounced which wasn't much fun at the time. The landing in Brisbane was perfect though and funnily enough it was a female pilot.

Last edited:
I've always been told that any landing you can walk away from is a good landing ;)

A friend of mine was working for a mining company and was taken up in a helicopter for the first time in his life. He was a couple of minutes into the flight and several hundred feet above ground when the engine stopped and the pilot turned to him and said "We're going to hit the ground pretty hard, hang on." The pilot let the helicopter fall out of the sky then autorotated at the last moment, hitting the ground with a thud. Both survived and after several hours of checking for damage/fixing the engine, my mate was offered another flight - which he promptly declined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back