Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin

morelia
Reaction score
Daily Telegraph
Source:

Two boa constrictors found in house

March 05, 2009 11:22am

AN anonymous tip-off led police to an unusual reptilian discovery southeast of Melbourne this morning – two boa constrictors.

Officers from Victoria Police and the Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) executed a search warrant at the Carrum house after a call was made to the DSE contact centre.

The male and female boa constrictors were seized at the home.

DSE senior investigator Keith Larner said a 42-year-old woman was being interviewed.

"Keeping boa constrictors is selfish and highly irresponsible," Mr Larner said.

"They can spread potentially devastating diseases to our native pythons."

The snakes can carry a virus called Inclusion Body Disease, which is fatal for native Australian pythons because they have no resistance to it.

It is illegal under state and federal law to possess, breed or trade exotic reptiles. Boa constrictors are native to Central and South America.

The woman faced penalties of up to $110,000 in fines and/or five years in jail.

Mr Larner thanked the anonymous caller.

"Their decision to assist us has removed two exotic pests that had the potential to breed more exotic pests."

The snakes will be euthanased.

now because of that lady's stupidity those beautiful snakes are going to die!!!

To many dogs in this world, i think people should just mind there own business and worry about their own problems.

re Boas

DSE saying that the boas are carriers of IBD is complete BS,those here are carrying no more desease than any native species in a collection,its just a waste of money and resources that could be put to better use.

To many dogs in this world, i think people should just mind there own business and worry about their own problems.

definitely agree with you there

DSE saying that the boas are carriers of IBD is complete BS,those here are carrying no more desease than any native species in a collection,its just a waste of money and resources that could be put to better use.

I was thinking the same thing. the money wasted oh these "raids" would be better spent looking after animals and reptiles injured in the bushfires etc in my opinion.

I agree, its a shame that the poor snakes have to die! :( I think they should have been housed by a zoo or reptile park (after going through strict quarantine of course). These selfish people illegally import them with no regards to those animals welfare, and also the welfare of our native pythons. :x

Are you all serious............

IT IS ILLEGAL TO KEEP THESE ANIMALS.
it's like having someone grow weed over your back fence andjust turning a blind eye to it..

Dob them all in, if you want a snake, get a licence and get yourself a native animal.

no if's no buts, NO IMPORTS

Last edited:

i agree fully bro... i hope the annonymouse caller is happy! i hope it made their life better..grr dam hell...those Boa's were already there "so hence they had no diseases"..and irresponsible???..man u got to many ppl making rules and regulations about reptiles..that know nothing of reptiles...and euthenized??....what for :S ?????......theres not many animals in Melbourne city these boa's could affect if escaped,they would die during winter!..not gonah say anymore cos this is a touchy subject "exotics"..but i think destroying the snakes and ppl dobbing in ppl for a "LOVE for reptiles"...NOT DRUGS....is i dunno..
cheers.

I REALLY CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I'M READING,

YOU PEOPLE ARE CONDONING THE KEEPING OF ILLEGAL ANIMALS

sure it's a shame they wil be euthinased, but that is the fault of all the keepers of these animals

sure it's a shame they wil be euthinased, but that is the fault of all the keepers of these animals

:rolleyes: maybe you should re-read whats been said. no one's agreeing with the keeping of illegal animals at all :rolleyes: but several including me have expressed the opinion that dogs aka: dobbers.. have no right sticking their noses in other people's business.

If someone wants to do something illegal thats their business. and dobbing someone in doesn't make them a hero.. it just makes them a scumbag.

I don't agree with the keeping of illegal exotic animals and have never kept any myself or never will keep any myself.. but I would not dob someone in if I knew they did.. and thats my personal choice. cheers

Last edited:

Sorry, not all of us are goodie goodies and are willing to pretend to agree with every law made. Have a cry about it.

What we said was that there are too many people who are do gooders and dobber dobbers in this world we live in today. It would be a nicer place if people minded their own business and accepted that we dont live in care bear land, deal with it.

those keeping illegaly imported animals arethe dogs.
and by turning a blind eye you are condoning it,
read the definition of condone
con⋅done   /kənˈdoʊn/
–verb (used with object), -doned, -don⋅ing.
1.to disregard or overlook (something illegal, objectionable, or the like).
2.to give tacit approval to: By his silence, he seemed to condone their behavior.

con⋅done   /kənˈdoʊn/
–verb (used with object), -doned, -don⋅ing.
1.to disregard or overlook (something illegal, objectionable, or the like).
2.to give tacit approval to: By his silence, he seemed to condone their behavior.

I dont keep exotics, because my collection is not worth losing to dibber dobbers, but I have no problem personally with somone who does. I wish there was an icon for somone having a cry, I'd use it here for you.

yeah yeah twenty B :rolleyes: with friends like you... who needs enemies :lol: cheers

con⋅done   /kənˈdoʊn/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kuh
thinsp.png
n-dohn] Show IPA
–verb (used with object), -doned, -don⋅ing. 1.to disregard or overlook (something illegal, objectionable, or the like).2.to give tacit approval to: By his silence, he seemed to condone their behavior.

i agree with mayham and i have no hate to people with the love of keeping exotics,cos it just embraces the whole LOVE for reptiles..so give it a rest twenty twenty!!.can see u,v never had a drink or smoke in yur life time....ur like a little kid trying to prove sumthing!! u have had your say!..sweet..killa..sik dude!..but this isnt DRUGS or a MURDERE or RAPIST.. a lil ol lady with two reptiles,snakes animals!that no1 knew of or knew exiisted,until sum1 snitched for their well being.and now two of one of the worlds most beautiful snakes (obviosuly with NO disease)have to be destroyed kuzin...i dont understand the whole hate u have on exotics here (yer the exporting is bad n sad,but they ddint catch her exporting)..maybe ur jus jelouse uv never held a boa! and cant obtain one yurself..or maybe ur a trainee police officer..dont know bro..u sound real sensative on the subject tho..peace out twenty twenty

so if you knew someone selling vipers you wouldn'tdob them in couse it's none of your business...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back