Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why even bother with punctuation when you clearly can't spell? You must have been one of the "cool kids" in school who has since dropped out and is a trainee burger flipper, or electrician. I'm sure of it. Perhaps you shoudl've learnt how to read and write, maybe then you'd be able to read up about how these exotics carry disease, rather then needing someone to explain it to you in laymen terms.

haha man YOUR 17....ahaha..yeh i did drop out of school man..i was kool ;)...why werent u??..lol..and no ima steel roofer buddy!i work trade work..im not a Vet..,what do u do bro??..:)..also in the next yr i hope to have my own business in Snake relocation,sall going well so far....cheers bro..im over this BS any way.i wasnt trying to diss any1....im going up to brizzy ta PARTAY!! wahoo.l8ers fellas..

Why even bother with punctuation when you clearly can't spell? You must have been one of the "cool kids" in school who has since dropped out and is a trainee burger flipper, or electrician. I'm sure of it. Perhaps you shoudl've learnt how to read and write, maybe then you'd be able to read up about how these exotics carry disease, rather then needing someone to explain it to you in laymen terms.
More than likley that these exotics were bred from stock that has been here for a number of years, there - for dont post a threat and should be given to a zoo.

exotics have also been found as escapees in aus,so no one can rule out issues with exotics becoming established in the wild,we dont need any more pests,we have native species to keep,and alot of choices,more choices than we will ever have the pleasure of owning,the whole exotic topic is pathetic,i highly doubt they will ever be legalised,

megrim,so are u saying introducing pest s to oz isnt destructive,new viruses and diseases????????????

seriously guys,read what you are writing,end of the day exotics are illegal,not because the powers that be dont want you to have them,because there trying to keep unwanted pests and diseases out of australia,are u condoning animals being transported in cruel conditions into this country illegally with out quarinteen??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????how many die in transit??????????????????????????????????how many,bloody lots,euthanising them is alot more humane than you guys are condoning,so perhaps think about your arguments first,as most are laughable at best.

THERE ILLEGAL,hence if you get busted its your own stupid fault for having them in the first place,do i feel sorry for ya,nope,not in the least,i just wish the powers that be would punish them more,as slaps on the wrist dont seem to stop it happening

all i can say is we have ibd,we have other virises and diseases here,where did they come from?????look at the devastation of cane toads in northern oz,yep exoctics are harmless,red eared sliders are in our streams and lakes,god knows what else is out there,but yeah stuff the native species,lets illegally bring in exotics

what a joke,no comparison,maybe not to you

Ok.... documented case.... Australian Reptile Park, funnily enough the same one tied to Snake Ranch. Dont know if there was any scientific papers or what not, but they believe that OPMV was transferred from an imported elapid, to their venom supply animals, which were from there passed off into a number of collections where further die off occurred.

Another scenario is also that pythons seem to have a much worse time than Boas with the reovirus IBD. Pythons seem to decline significantly quicker to IBD, than Boas, some Boas, even known to be un-affected carriers of the virus. This lends itself to the assumption that for boas, IBD may be a endemic virus, a reovirus that they have addapted to atleast survive with, otherwise such a fatal virus would all but wipe out entire populations. Seeing as Australian animals are so adversely affected by IBD, it is logical to assume that they have not previously been in contact with IBD.

Just thought of another one.... the case where some noonan got busted importing GTP's into Cairns..... the animals were confiscated and destroyed, but not before a strain of OPMV, previously undocumented in Aus was identified.

i love how dse also use the old ibd topic and threat to native reps,to make them look like there doing the community and native reps a service,diseases are carried by our native species,the boas are at just as much risk of catching ibd or something of aussie species,

Now.... Richardsc, there is a vast difference between an endemic virus, and an exotic virus.... especially when we are talking high mortality outcomes, as you are with OPMV and IBD.

I beleive we know squat about all these diseases / virus's, be it a frog or snake...and all the rest is just here/say. Exotic reptiles have been bought into the country for various reasons for the last 100 plus years.

haha man YOUR 17....ahaha..yeh i did drop out of school man..i was kool ;)...why werent u??..lol..and no ima steel roofer buddy!i work trade work..im not a Vet..,what do u do bro??..:)..also in the next yr i hope to have my own business in Snake relocation,sall going well so far....cheers bro..im over this BS any way.i wasnt trying to diss any1....im going up to brizzy ta PARTAY!! wahoo.l8ers fellas..

What's wrong with being 17? I'm sure you were at one stage, or did you 'skip dat bro, fully'.

I forgot being 21 and owning a lacey made you a profesional.

definatly a good read, i think though if you choose to have exotics or anything that breaks the laws, if it blows up in your face you made the choice, you can't blame someone for dobbing. not saying that i'm always squeaky clean but i wouldnt blame someone for my bad choices

not to mention i cant really get why you would go through such an effort when we have some of the most amazing snakes right here, if exotics became legal i know i wouldnt be in the line

excellent answer wazza,my point exactly,this topic is like the hybrid ones,very amusing to see how passionate people are on either side,but funny how it ends up going off topic,and then folk go at each other like a pack of ten year olds,lol,nice post colin

exotics have also been found as escapees in aus,so no one can rule out issues with exotics becoming established in the wild,we dont need any more pests,we have native species to keep,and alot of choices,more choices than we will ever have the pleasure of owning,the whole exotic topic is pathetic,i highly doubt they will ever be legalised,

megrim,so are u saying introducing pest s to oz isnt destructive,new viruses and diseases????????????

seriously guys,read what you are writing,end of the day exotics are illegal,not because the powers that be dont want you to have them,because there trying to keep unwanted pests and diseases out of australia,are u condoning animals being transported in cruel conditions into this country illegally with out quarinteen??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????how many die in transit??????????????????????????????????how many,bloody lots,euthanising them is alot more humane than you guys are condoning,so perhaps think about your arguments first,as most are laughable at best.

THERE ILLEGAL,hence if you get busted its your own stupid fault for having them in the first place,do i feel sorry for ya,nope,not in the least,i just wish the powers that be would punish them more,as slaps on the wrist dont seem to stop it happening

all i can say is we have ibd,we have other virises and diseases here,where did they come from?????look at the devastation of cane toads in northern oz,yep exoctics are harmless,red eared sliders are in our streams and lakes,god knows what else is out there,but yeah stuff the native species,lets illegally bring in exotics

what a joke,no comparison,maybe not to you

I most certainly do not condone the illegal importation of foreign species into Australia. At the end of the day, they're already here. And in significant numbers. The animals that are already here, some species for three decades now at least, pose no greater disease risk than anything in your, or my, collection.
Obviously they still pose a risk of becoming feral, but so does any reptile species kept in captivity outside it's natural range should it escape. Importing species into this country has always had mixed results. Cane toads, Minah Birds and Rabbits to name but a few of the bad ones. Others have established wild populations without much fuss or notice, whilst most long-kept exotics have never become feral at all.

I simply don't believe the subject is as black-and-white as you'd like to make it out to be.

I still think your comparison of reporting arsonists to reporting keepers of illegal reptiles was in poor taste, and after recent events you could've perhaps chosen a better 'comparison'.

I have to agree with TwentyB exotics are illegal why threaten our native species. Yes, so far the snakes werent hurting any one BUT they could... If one escaped and caused serious issues with the native balance in the area would you still think exotics are cool!
Also on the dobber issue - I think the person did the right thing if they are illegal they are illegal. If you knew someone was being physically, sexually abused would you do nothing to stop it? If you said or did nothing then found out that person was seriously hurt or killed how would you feel... still righteous because you "kept your nose out of it".
If the lady keeping the boas was eaten or killed by the boas what would you think then.... stupid woman she should never of kept exotics in the first place.
Not interested in exotics love my natives.
Just my opinion on the topic.

Also on the dobber issue - I think the person did the right thing if they are illegal they are illegal. If you knew someone was being physically, sexually abused would you do nothing to stop it? If you said or did nothing then found out that person was seriously hurt or killed how would you feel... still righteous because you "kept your nose out of it".
If the lady keeping the boas was eaten or killed by the boas what would you think then.... stupid woman she should never of kept exotics in the first place.

Another horrible comparison. Like comparing apples and oranges. Or in this case, like comparing apples and child sexual abuse I guess.

And plenty of people keep potentially dangerous animals in this country, I don't think they are especially stupid for doing so. A person who keeps an inland taipan knows what it is capable of and has a general idea of the risks involved.
If that lady had been killed by her boas, I'd have seen it as unfortunate. Nothing more.

l agree with Richardsc in what he his saying here, those of you who decide to brake the law by keeping exotic Reptile's, deserve to be fined or go to jail, we don't want anymore exotic Reptile's brought into or breed locally here in Australia, we have alot of beautiful native Python's, that need to be protected from exotic diseases such as OPMV and IBD.
A few reptile keepers who know me, know if l ever hear of anyone keeping and selling exotic or native Reptile's without a permit, and that includes taking native Reptile's from the wild without a take from the wild permit, l will be straight onto the phone in the state its happening in, to tell the wildlife authorities.
l have reported a few things since 1995 in VIC-SA-WA, the most interesting case was to do with the Varanus Penoptes in early 1995, and those who have been in the Reptile game since 1990, would know about this.upto 8 Varanus Penoptes were being kept here in Victoria under the false name Varanus Gouldii Gouldii Sand Monitor. l know who were the ones that had the Varanus Penoptes at the time, and they were force to sell them interstate.

Another horrible comparison. Like comparing apples and oranges. Or in this case, like comparing apples and child sexual abuse I guess.

It was an extreme comparison yes, but one to make a point, too many people these days think its ok to turn a blind eye to any illegal activity.

That is not my personal opinion, just another example, how people can switch their opinions so quickly depending on how the media spin a story.

I dont think you can say its a grey area. If we were allowed to keep exotics in australia then it wouldnt be illegal in the first place... Introduced species to date haven't been that successful.

poor taste perhaps,but it was to make a point,a good mate of mine from pheasant creek lost everything in those fires,luckily he got his missus and pets out,but lost everything,i went with an extreme example and im sorry

exotics are still being imported,last year a melb keeper and member of this forum was caught trying to import gtp into the country ,its foolish to think they are long term captives,just as its foolish to say there disease free or even totally clean,some things there is not as yet a way to test for such ailments,and autopsy is the only way to diagnose

end of the day buying exotics and the sellars making money draws them to bring more in,hell why smuggle green trees into aus when u can buy them legally,mind u most are the result of illegal importation already but thats another topic,lol,the reason is money and greed,the money smugglers make far outweighs the risks of being caught,and people that knowingly buy these animals are supporting it

I think some of you folks would benefit from reading Tim Lows book "Feral future ", you may then understand why we have these laws.

Per

poor taste perhaps,but it was to make a point,a good mate of mine from pheasant creek lost everything in those fires,luckily he got his missus and pets out,but lost everything,i went with an extreme example and im sorry

exotics are still being imported,last year a melb keeper and member of this forum was caught trying to import gtp into the country ,its foolish to think they are long term captives,just as its foolish to say there disease free or even totally clean,some things there is not as yet a way to test for such ailments,and autopsy is the only way to diagnose

end of the day buying exotics and the sellars making money draws them to bring more in,hell why smuggle green trees into aus when u can buy them legally,mind u most are the result of illegal importation already but thats another topic,lol,the reason is money and greed,the money smugglers make far outweighs the risks of being caught,and people that knowingly buy these animals are supporting it

I completely agree, money is the motivating factor here, and if I'm honest, I wouldn't really know where to begin in terms of fixing the current ongoing issues with exotics in this country. I'd like to see exotics that are already here put on permits. I would like to see the importation of exotics legalised so long as proper quarantine could be enforced.
If you take away the 'black' in 'black-market' reptiles you won't have much left to smuggle.

However quarantine is likely to be lengthy and expensive, meaning that, (I would imagine) it would still be more cost effective for some of these twits to smuggle them in. Though perhaps the already established exotics here could play a part in satisfying the market... I'm even talking myself around in loops :) It's a complicated issue no doubt.

My stance is simply that the current system is failing, and has routinely failed in the past, or we wouldn't have exotics, or the diseases they carry in Australia. Legalising exotics obviously wouldn't fix all the problems, but it might reduce smuggling, and between reduced smuggling and enforced quarantine there would at least be a dramatically lowered risk of disease.

Of course with widespread acceptance comes a much greater risk of feral populations developing, though to be fair, that may happen anyway under the current system.

I do tend to believe the hype of ferals is a bit over-blown myself. From what I've read, many if not most exotics commonly kept in captivity have quite specific husbandry needs, and would be unable to establish feral populations in most areas. A little like releasing a GTP into the Dandenong Ranges maybe? ... I'm not so good at comparisons myself :lol:

I do tend to believe the hype of ferals is a bit over-blown myself. From what I've read, many if not most exotics commonly kept in captivity have quite specific husbandry needs, and would be unable to establish feral populations in most areas. A little like releasing a GTP into the Dandenong Ranges maybe? ... I'm not so good at comparisons myself :lol:

Yep tell that to the people of Guam.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back