looking at breeding Bredli

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjpossum

Reaction score
Hi all
We are looking at breeding Bredli pythons this year and are looking for your input on condition of the female before breeding. Things like weight and general condition.
Our bredli is just over 2 years old now and we are unsure of what weight etc. she should be before we consider putting her under the stress of breeding.

Thanks for your help

Thanks, however I was under the understanding that most Australian pythons (in good health and size) are usually able to breed at 2.5 years of age. If this true that we should wait until she is 4 years old, what weight should she be for breeding?

I done a heap of asking around about this aswell, it seems bredli are one exception to the age rule of 2.5 if big enough. A lot of people have said their females have been big enough yet will only breed once they hit the 4 year mark.

Im sure a lot have successfully bred younger but the norm for bredli seems about 4 years. I will be trying my girl this year, she is 3 years at the moment and just under 3kg, so by the time breeding season really kicks in she will be approaching 4 years.

i actually thought is was the other way round älready_gone.

cant remember where i read it but a male was put in with two females and was only ever interested in the larger girl.

yeh i think that was the doc rock article... and sorry, i meant the ladies like their boys with a little size to them, not necessarily larger than them... i was eating dinner at the time... lol

Thanks guys for your help, we will see how we go and check her weight tomorrow.

Cheers

really waruikazi?!?!?!
guess i'll have to purchase an adult female in the future instead of waiting for it to grow
6kgs dam

really waruikazi?!?!?!
guess i'll have to purchase an adult female in the future instead of waiting for it to grow
6kgs dam

They can reach that size at 3 years if they are powered but 4 years is easier. I've only heard of 1 snake that bred at 2.5 years and it only produced 8 eggs. Where as my 6kg female at 5 years produced 40 eggs in her first ever clutch, it is better to wait.

wow thats actually very inpressive.
did your girl loose much bidy weight?
what was there success rate?
mayb i'll waitfor my coastals to get to six kgs

wow thats actually very inpressive.
did your girl loose much bidy weight?
what was there success rate?
mayb i'll waitfor my coastals to get to six kgs

Yeah she lost heaps! I didn't weigh here but it would have been about 3kg. What do you mean there success rate? You mean how many hatch? there were a couple of slugs which is pretty normal for clutches that size and i lost a few to a poorly mixed vermic water ratio but apart from those slugs they were all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back