Breeding v Buying

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

symbol

Reaction score
Hi All

Whats everyones opinion about breeding rodents v buying them already frozen from pet shops? I brought a bag of fuzzys for $13-15 the other day and essentially that only last 2 feeds.
Is it worth while breeding ones own rodents or buying them? has anyone done any research or worked it out?

Be interested to hear peoples opinions.

Cheers

We have heaps of trouble getting the rite size here so it is def better to breed your own. I had to buy some fuzzies the other week and was shocked at the price.

if you only want pinkies then i would breed my own. a good rack will cost u 200 including mice and you should get an average of 10 mice a week coming through depending on how many mice you buy. you should have 1 male to 3 females.

When you say 'rack' what do you mean? Do people breed their mice in racks these days? Id be interested in seeing a picture of such a rack.

HerpShop has laboratory-type rodent cages. They are very easy to use and clean. They can go on shelves well. I've used them in labs, but I don't breed my own rodents. It would be a lot cheaper, but I hate the smell and my dogs would go mental trying to kill the rodents. I can afford to buy them frozen, so I do.

i breed but i hate knocking em on the head so until i get a gas chamber i buy, a complete rip off really, 22 bucks for 5 mice and that lasts one feed ARGH

I hate buying rodents. I would much prefer to breed them myself but in saying that I don't have the room for a proper rat set-up so at the moment I buy some and breed a few(mainly for pinkies etc).

I started breeding because the sizes i wanted were never available and the prices went up every couple of months. I also think the quality is better if you do it yourself, then you know exactly what they're being fed and how long they've been in the freezer. Only bad point is taking the time/effort to take care of the rats.

Good point about buying is it's less effort.. but more expensive depending on how many rats/mice you're going to be breeding.

If you just get 'attached' to the breeders then you'll have no problem :p

all depends on how many snakes you need to feed. then you need to workout the set up cost, cost of feeding the rodents, co2 gas to kill them, bags to freeze them in, a freezer if you dont have one, cost of wood shavings, and your time. then do you really want all the work of feed, watering, cleaning, culling. and dont forget if you get a really hot day and they die all your hard work has been all for nothing

If you dont value time you will be way ahead, but remember rodents are a seven day a week commitment. Also shops pay income tax, GST, rent and wages which you probably wont have to.

You dont have to buy racks , you are trying to save money after all . l use old fish tanks and make lids of wood and wire mesh . They dont have to hold water so old cracked ones will do , l have scored some beauties from the hard garbage .

I use newspapers thrown out by my local Newsagent. My rats LOVE tearing them up... And have now stopped trashing the timber in their cage!! Yes, they can be a 7 day-a-week job, but I have large watering bottles, and large food dishes and so they are really only every second day & once a week clean out.

After having to spend $20 on ONE feed, I was very pleased I had rats breeding (that was the last I bought!!). I only get attatched to my breeders, and only yesterday I froze SIX feeds for 2 snakes. It costs me about $8/week for their food (it is a home mix) so for the short amount of time I put in- I still think I am ahead even valuing my time.

I went and bought an expensive cage, it houses my main breeders... It was too small and what a waste!! I currently have 3 or 4 litters in there and my breeding male. I then bought a cheap metal shelves($29), wired Rat & Mouse Mesh onto it, hung doors, and wa-la- a Rat 'rack'... Cost $50, houses 1 female (she HAD 15 babies... Until yesterday;)), my weaners that I don't want to breed (about 4-6 per shelf) and two females with a juvie male who I am not breeding at the moment. :evil:

I also have bought some of those 50L plastic storage containers, and with some more Rat & Mouse mesh & a drill, I believe I can set them up if needed for about (including original purchase of the container) $20 each.

if you can afford a good set-up you are better off breeding your own . will cost alot to do it properly . but its not just about saving money which you will in the long run . it does take alot of time and can be costly. and thats why rodents are the price they are . but when breeding your own you are in charge of the conditions your rodents are kept in , you have the control of what they are being feed ect people tell you their rodents are good but they might be feed on a poor diet and not kept as clean as they should be . which is one thing i like to be in control of also its just good to know you can get what you need when you want them . instead of trying to chase them down all the time . if you dont have the time and money to do it properly . buy them in from someone you can trust . after all you maybe feeding a $5 dude rat to a $10,000 python...........

I breed my own rats just on a small scale and while I don't think I would come out ahead cost wise, I do it for the convenience of being able to cull at the right size. I just have 3 commercial rat cages, 1 each for the males and females and another one that I put the mother's in when they are about to pop. I started off with 2 females but I've kept back another 2 females and I will rotate them so they can have a little break in between litters. I get attached to the breeders but I try not to get attached to the babies.

I noticed people posting that they couldnt kill the rodents. the easiest way to kill them is to put them in a plastic bag, or a bag that wont tear, and put that on the end of ur car exhaust. it knocks them straight out, no squirming or twitching, its like they just nod off to sleep.

I noticed people posting that they couldnt kill the rodents. the easiest way to kill them is to put them in a plastic bag, or a bag that wont tear, and put that on the end of ur car exhaust. it knocks them straight out, no squirming or twitching, its like they just nod off to sleep.

are you kidding us mate ? and here i was wasting my money on food grade co2 . :lol:

Do your reptiles prefer ethenol flavour or LPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back