how much do you spend?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

licky

Reaction score
on rats??
i own 4 pythons..and i regretably spend about $300 a bloody year
I did the maths and im sooooo bloody peeved.
If i were to purchase a couple of rats to breed, would I be:
1. saving a bit of money...or
2. spending more

help me out cause now i know why i got barely any money

i spend about 2600 a year so u should feel lucky haha

well i honestly figured that there would be people with more then 4 pythons therefore more money towards rats.

no idea how much we spend a year because i havn't had mine for a year but we have started breeding rats and its far cheaper.

but my largest coastal eats large rats which i was getting for 3bucks my smaller coastal eats medium 3bucks each my spotted and female childrens eat hopper rats i think dunnu how much they are and my male childrens hasn't eaten but we got 50bucks worth of rats and got about 5weeks feed for both coastals , 2feeds for the spotted and female childrens. but now breeding rats once we get more stock up wont cost us anything:)

well really its not much, thats less than 7 dollars a week, so per animal its less than 2 dollars a week

i have around 30 snakes to feed, if i were to buy that amount of rats i could not afford even 10 snakes. I have 2 racks of 7 tubs each, 3 females to 1 male. each rack cost me appox $250 to build, would have been $180 except i've got my water plumbed in with sippers instead of water bottles. Now it costs me around $15 a week in bedding and food for the rats plus time and effort, about an hour a week, and $30 for a co2 bottle every 6 months or so. Much cheaper in the long run

Well, the cost of keeping an animal is always ongoing. You may save some money breeding your own rats. But then that will also depend on how and what you feed them, how many rats you have, cost of setting up tubs/cages, drinker bottles and bedding. If you are prepared to committ the time & money into caring for them, they may very well turn out less expensive than buying frozen rodents. That doesn't sound very exciting but all things come with good and bad. On a more positive note, not only will your snakes have access to fresh food, you can sell excess rodents to pet shops or other snake owners to help pay for their upkeep. You don't need fancy branded rat cages. Plastic storage tubs and cut big holes in the plastic lids and cover the holes with wire so you have air going into them, as well as spot for their drink bottle. You can buy commercially prepared pellets which are around $20 -$30 for a 20Kg bag. The rats will eat you out of house and home if you let them but save your food scraps for them to help their pellets last longer.

It is a slow process to build up but once it starts it won't stop. :D

havnt had mine for a year. bt everytime i go past a pet shop i buy something.. so im guessing it adds up

i dont spend enough ;) dam wholesale!

Technically I feed my snakes for free.

I breed enough rats and mice to cover myself, and a few locals, so the money I get from selling them pays for the rodent bedding, food etc.

hey, you can get tubs to breed rats in at cheap as chips for about 10 bucks. you could buy two or 3 of these and get some rats, it would only take about 2 or 3 weeks for you to get a litter of rats, longer for them to grow. all depends on how much u want to spend.
u could invest that 300 dollars and buy a breeding kit for rats, pretty sure ive seen some advertised on here before. They basically survive on watever u give them aswell, so just scaps you have from food u eat

$300 a year is pretty bloody cheap. Prob spend about $1000 - $1200 a year on my 2 coastals

but only because still building up a supply of rats (we breed) which would be quicker but i
keep knocking them because snakes are still hungry after eating one or two from the shop

i think 300 a year for 4 snakes is pretty cheap. better not to think about it

I probably spend around $500-$600 a year in costs for breeding my own rodents, but considering that is one of the only costs involved in keeping a room full of snakes, it is cheaper then feeding 1 dog for a year...

if i was to buy instead of breeding there is no way i would have 2 adult olives, they eat 2 XL rats a fortnight each

court, thats only about 420.00 a year... imagine them breeding.. o dear :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back