hatchies in click clacks.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whyme

Reaction score
just putting this out there. but do hatchies really need to be in click clacks, or yearlings. I know it STRESSES THE SNAKE OUT, but is there any proof of this. I've had hatchies in 1m cages and i've never had a drama. i just put more hides in.

i have often wondered the same thing. i think most people would just rather be safe then sorry since they aren't 100% about it not streesing them. but in saying that i agree with you.

zack

i have 4 yearlings and they are all in 4x2x2 foot enclosures and i have never had a drama ......agreed i just have more hides for them but they spend most of there time out on there branch anyway and also they are in the biggest traffic are of the house ...the lounge room...but i dont know about hatchies i have not owned one yet...

Although large enclosures work fine for hatchies. The reason I use click clacks (or equivalent locking/sealing) container for me has notthing to do with the snake feeling secure its more about me knowing it cant get out and it will be in that same sopt next time i look.

Although large enclosures work fine for hatchies. The reason I use click clacks (or equivalent locking/sealing) container for me has notthing to do with the snake feeling secure its more about me knowing it cant get out and it will be in that same sopt next time i look.
good point. but is that the only reason for click clacks. security?

just putting this out there. but do hatchies really need to be in click clacks, or yearlings. I know it STRESSES THE SNAKE OUT, but is there any proof of this. I've had hatchies in 1m cages and i've never had a drama. i just put more hides in.

You can keep any snake in a massive enclosure and if you understand the species there is no reason it would get stressed, but IMO there is little benifit and potential for it being far worse especially with new keepers and they are usually the ones who think snakes are better off in large enclosures. To properly look after a small snake in a large enclosure is harder to setup and it will take much longer to find the snake if you want to see it or feed it. Pythons are pretty much ambush predators, if they have a good position to ambush thawed food, good shelter, the ability to thermoregulate and occasionally the chance to breed, i think they would be happy (if snakes can actually be happy). Although with highly active species i think bigger enclosures are much better, but as hatchlings its much easier to look after them well in a smaller enclosure.

i cant say that all hatchies should be kept in click clacks. but i had 2 hatchie diamonds in 2ft enclosures. 1 was ok, the other wouldnt feed. put it in a 15lt click clack and it ate 2 days later. click clack was placed inside the enclosure so temperature or nothing else changed. so that left me thinking the not feeding was caused by stress from the large enclosure. ive also kept other hatchies in different size enclosures with no problems, so id say it just depends on the snake

You can keep any snake in a massive enclosure and if you understand the species there is no reason it would get stressed, but IMO there is little benifit and potential for it being far worse especially with new keepers and they are usually the ones who think snakes are better off in large enclosures. To properly look after a small snake in a large enclosure is harder to setup and it will take much longer to find the snake if you want to see it or feed it. Pythons are pretty much ambush predators, if they have a good position to ambush thawed food, good shelter, the ability to thermoregulate and occasionally the chance to breed, i think they would be happy (if snakes can actually be happy). Although with highly active species i think bigger enclosures are much better, but as hatchlings its much easier to look after them well in a smaller enclosure.
another good point. thanks. but what i want to know is, does a large cage affect a yearling or a hatchie. i hear it so many times, dont put your hatchie in a big cage, it HAS to go in a click clack, etc, etc. Why? What exactly stresses the snake out. If it's something like" too much room" or whatever, wont more hides counteract that problem. Just asking.

i cant say that all hatchies should be kept in click clacks. but i had 2 hatchie diamonds in 2ft enclosures. 1 was ok, the other wouldnt feed. put it in a 15lt click clack and it ate 2 days later. click clack was placed inside the enclosure so temperature or nothing else changed. so that left me thinking the not feeding was caused by stress from the large enclosure. ive also kept other hatchies in different size enclosures with no problems, so id say it just depends on the snake
glad it ate. but who knows, if you kept it in the 2ft enclosure for another 2 days, it may have eaten in there too.:D:?

I only use a click clack cause its cheap, easy at feeding time and dont need to litter it with hides. In a rich mans world I would build a miniture enclosure but at the moment my $10 click clack does the trick!!

so far, conveinience and security are the only reasons for click clacks. Any of you EXPERTS care to share your opinions:)

I only use a click clack cause its cheap, easy at feeding time and dont need to litter it with hides. In a rich mans world I would build a miniture enclosure but at the moment my $10 click clack does the trick!!
I'm in the same boat. it's cheaper and easier to use cc's. as for feeding, i feed mine outside the box. probably another myth, but we'll leave that for another thread:lol:

Quote'' wokka

What is a click clack? Does it mean a small cage? Does it mean a plastic cage? To me it means cheap and easy to find which does not necessarily translate to best for a young snake although it may be easiest for the keeper.
I much prefer newbies to use a small timber cage as timber offers far better insulation from the outside world in regard to heat, noise and sight. Whilst I agree many snakes are raised and kept in plastic tubs the plasic is not the essential ingredient. Of most importance is temperature, then privacy which minimises stress. The only reason I can see for newbies using a plastic tub is the difficulty in finding suitable small timber cages. They can be made for under $50 which is a small price to pay for the extra substance they offer.
As for size; it is a lot easier to monitor a small cage than a larger one as young animals, .particularly if sick, dont always thermoregulate.
Of more importance than the cage composition is an effective method of temperature control so a thermostat is a must. The smaller the cage the less choice of position the animal has, so the temperature has to be right. A thermal gradient is not necessary for young animals.I believe the main reason keepers often dont use thermostats on hatchling cages is expense . It is only putting off the inevidable as both heatmat and thermastat can be recycled later into adult cages.

i dont see the need in click clacks. if the cage is setup properly it's fine. my hatchling olive is about half meter now and is in a 3x2.3x3 foot cage with 4 hides and 2 branches at each end. and is always out and about or sleeping on the branches. has eaten every time offered and has never bitten or freaked out as she has been picked up. only ever used a click clack for my 2 month old spotted and that was due to it could fit out the glass gap in the 2x1x2 cage i had

When I got my hatchy Diamond I put her in a glass reptile enclosure and she was fine. She had places to hide and I could watch her more easily when she came out at night to cruise around. She never missed a feed and never acted stressed. I know all snakes are different but in this case it worked fine. The enclosure had a locking lid and doors so no escape was possible.

The enclosure was about 2ft x 1ft x 1ft so wasnt huge. Now she has an even bigger pad built by Darryn at Parkers Enclosures.

Enclosure pictured.....before I added more hides etc.

Attachments

• Snake house.jpg
    Snake house.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 115
NO they dont its all crap most people use them because there sheep and follow the croud and dont know any better breeders use them because it is a lot easyer for them less room,feeding, cleaning, etc :D

I use click clacks cos I have 2 spotted hatchies and I dont want them to escape. When they get a little bit bigger I will build them tanks to suit. Whats the point of building a big tank and having them escape. I had a coastal that I put in a tank straight away but that was because I was confident he wouldn't escape.

I use click clacks cos I have 2 spotted hatchies and I dont want them to escape. When they get a little bit bigger I will build them tanks to suit. Whats the point of building a big tank and having them escape. I had a coastal that I put in a tank straight away but that was because I was confident he wouldn't escape.
dont have any big gaps in your enclosure and they wont get out and if you do fill the gaps with something to easy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back