Big TV Which one???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OdessaStud

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
For the last month I have been pricing 50 inch Televisions, well I didnt have a clue when I started looking now I know heaps of information about pixels ect but the conflicting sales pitches Im getting are confusing me no end.One says LG is top of the range another says NEC is best, yet another says you cant go past Samsung ahhhhhh Plasma or LCD what do you all prefer and what if any bad experiences have people had.
Odie

go the lg i got mine and i love it and get lcd, then again my dad got the samsung and i got the lg... he loves the samsung i love my lg.... so its a tough decision!

u will find its easier to get ur hands on a samsung then a lg atm tho....

my dads sound played up on the samsung not long after getting it but someone came out and fixed it straight away (from samsung) since it was under warrenty etc

i got 3 years with my lg dont no how long he got with his samsung tho

oh btw, plasma's have more probs, use more power, and die alot faster then lcds.... cheapest place to get the lg's or samsungs is dicksmiths atm

Google some reviews of the current models available and you should be able to find the best possible bang for your buck, whatever you do don't make your initial decision with the brand name P_P

I would be looking for a 1080p (that is 1920 x 1080 screen resolution) 50"inch plasma if I were you. Make sure it has multiple inputs so you can connect everything to it, including your computer. Personally I don't like plasmas with built in tv tuners, or speakers as I would rather use my stereo system and get a third party HDTV recorder.

We have a 30 odd inch Sony Bravia LCD and havent had any problems with it.
Great picture and sound quality.
When we were looking for it, we were told that LG wasnt the best of brands. This was a while back though.

yea, with plasmas, if you leave it on a picture too long (ie pause a movie to go to the toilet) by the time you get back the image will have burnt itself into the screen..

so totally get an lcd :)

We just got a samsung HD LCD. Make sure you get one that does at least 100Hz. Also get as high res as possible like 1080p. You also want to make sure that you tuner (preferably High Def) is built in useless you want another box in your tv unit.
I used to be a hifi installer and I believe that there are more issues with plasmas but that is what I think personally. Also if you have a keen eye you can notice the the breakup of the pixels on a plasma and I didn't like that.

Samsung has 3 years warranty on it and I purchase another 4 years on top of that so I have like 7 years warranty because I don't wanna be buying another one anytime soon.
It also depending on what you are willing to spend. I saw a 52inch Samsung series 8 LCD at my local JB hifi for $5 200 today. But that was only as I was walking past it so didn't really pay much attention to it or have a good look at it.

Hope that the info helps,
Andy

Also plasmas have a dead pixel risk so check the dead pixel policy for the company as some manufacturers will only replace the screen if a large number of pixels are dead or the are in the main focus area (centre of screen).
I found LG screens to be cheaper but not have as many features or look as good.

We bought a 50 inch LG plasma December last year we had it for 4 weeks and it decided to turn off and wouldn't turn back on ..We had to send it away to be repaired it took 2 weeks to be fixed it needed a new power supply

Touch wood it's working fine again but I wouldn't buy another LG ever again

my mate bought a 50" LG and to be honest, when comparing it to my samsung and my parents nec i really wasn't impressed.
But the bravia i bought my girl kills them.. Get the 200hz if you can afford it.
I'd buy the samsung best value for money.

dont LG use the same parts as sony?

no thats samsung....

Stick to the 3 S's (Sony, Samsung and Sharp)
Or Panasonic, but they are up there with the Sony prices, and the extra money isnt really justifiable when you can get a Samsung much cheaper. For lets say 50% more money to get the bigger brand (sony or panasonic) your really only getting a 5% better product.

LCD's are also the way to go, Plasmas are disappearing off the shelves and i beleive they will be phased out in years to come..... As with the many benefits of LCD's there really is no reason to buy a plasma.

Steer clear of LG's as ive heard some bad things about them, they are cheap, but you will spend more in the long run replacing broken TV's that are out of warranty, than you would just buying a better one to start with.

This is all just my opinions of course, from what i have heard and learnt along the tracks.....

Cheers,

Matt

i guess everyone hears different stuff about different brands, ofcourse all brands are going to have tvs that stuff up

my lg has been perfectly fine
my dads samsung that he got stuffed up not soon after he got it like i said with the sound

no matter what brand... ur going to hear that someone along the line has had one stuff up, and at the end of the day, get extended warrenty if ur that worried about it because ALL TVS CAN STUFF UP lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back