Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

do you feed in your enclosure or out, ie, tub?

• I feed in my enclosure

Votes: 123 76.9%
  • I feed out of the enclosure, ie, tub

Votes: 37 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Inside enclosure.
Too much hassle taking them all out, putting them in tubs, feeding them, waiting so long for them to settle down from the feeding frenzy & the smell to cease, then replacing them into their enclosures.

Is alot easier to just feed them in their own enclosures.
When handling use a hook so they associate the hook with handling, NOT FOOD!

Doesn't make squat of a difference whether you do or you don't. Some people will bring up the same old story "Oh but if you feed the snake in the enclosure it'll relate an opening of the door as feed-time", my response to that "simple" logic is the same association could take place when the snake is removed from the enclosure for feeding. So what would you prefer? A snake associating its feed-time in the enclosure or out when handling :lol: Silly really ;)

As said by amazonian, use a hook if you have to remove a snake from it's enclosure, or so at least so it knows you're coming in. I treat my animals space (their enclosures) as their zones and you need to have that respect for that space.

well ive only got 3 so its easy and ie herd if u feed em in the enclosure they think all the time u open the cage door touch ect they think its feeding time or something that

As said by amazonian, use a hook if you have to remove a snake from it's enclosure, or so at least so it knows you're coming in. I treat my animals space (their enclosures) as their zones and you need to have that respect for that space.

Recommended brand of hook with dims?

Cameron

I feed in the enclosure, too much effort to take them out and mine done associate opening the enclosure with food unless they can actually smell food.

i feed mine in the enclosure. except my childrens as they are housed together so there fed seperate then i wait awhile before putting them back together

Is alot easier to just feed them in their own enclosures.
When handling use a hook so they associate the hook with handling, NOT FOOD!

We have 4 all in their own enclosure, I've always fed them in their enclosures and I always use a hook to let them know I'm getting them out, but in the last couple of weeks 3 out of the 4 are looking to strike out, even with the hook, every time we get them out or even if we just open the enclosure, once out their fine. They are fed weekly and all have good sized lumps after feeding, so I don't think it's just that their hungry, they think their getting fed every time the doors open.

Doesn't make squat of a difference whether you do or you don't. Some people will bring up the same old story "Oh but if you feed the snake in the enclosure it'll relate an opening of the door as feed-time", my response to that "simple" logic is the same association could take place when the snake is removed from the enclosure for feeding. So what would you prefer? A snake associating its feed-time in the enclosure or out when handling :lol: Silly really ;)

Agreed, I take one out and feed him on the coffee table, purely because he is a slow eater, she guzzles hers down, so we feed her in the enclosure, he gets to "sit at the table!!" He doesn't care what or who is about him, he's gotten used to movement around him, and so he goes about his feeding as though nothing else was around him!

i feed in seperate tubs, i only have 2 so it is easy, i get mine out and put them in their tubs and then they snap at everything once in tub when they finnish their food they go back in to their enclosure and they sell into a warm spot for a day or 2.

feed in tubs as i have kitty litter substrate

how have you found the litter with shedding? I just removed ours, since we put it in, our Darwin has needed help with shedding (twice now) she never had a problem before :(
IMO it dries out the enclosure too much, even with the water under the lights.

I feed in their enclosures...my BHP is a little over 7ft and takes up to an hour to eat an Xlarge rat, so Im not hanging around to wait for her to devour that out of her encl. My diamond i sometimes bring her out in the sun and feed her, but the butcher bird is getting to expect it all the time, so I have been feeding her in and my other to snakes i feed in as the are smaller.

Always feed in enclosure and always will. It dosent make a squat of difference ether way and with way to many snakes to take out its just not practical

I never use a hook either I just reach in and grab them out when they need cleaning etc

i feed in seperate tubs, out of habit i think. saying that, if i had 50 odd animals, i dont think i would unless there was a feeding problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back