melting pot

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenmouse

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I want to loby the herp trader and all other reputable internet reptile forums to refuse to advertise cross bred pythons befor we end up with a population of frankensnakes. all i favour say I! EYE!

Although the idea is a good one
I doubt that these sites have the time to monitor every add that gets placed.

This is why they ask that suspicious adds be reported to them instead.
Also it's sad but true that selling cross-breeds in most states ins't illegal
as far as I know?...
Breeding them is but buying/selling them isn't *where's the logic*??

While the idea has some merit, i think it will ultimately lead to irresponsible
keepers simply letting there animals go in the nearest bush or keeping them in substandard environments as they are not interested anymore. It may even lead to more animals in their freezers. JMO

Or passing them of as pure.
Yep but its a start discouragement of some sort is required at the moment some people are purposly cross breeding and charging more than the price of the normal snakes .

don't want to be the cause of the typical " ill get the popcorn" phrase but just curious as to the disgust of cross breeds of snakes?? personally i am on the fence i believe they should be kept a natural species but at the pain i may cop of admitting they can produce some nice looks so i have not really made my mind up on the topic....but i am wondering what is the reasons?? all i can come up with is the temps??
As an example lets say a jungle x diamond was produced what the hell do you set the temps at?? how would you know if it was to be hot, humid or cool??
Any way sorry if i open world war three lol...but just curious on some points of views ...without the smartasses....

Ah just make it legal and be done with it so these people who like doing illegal stuff can start doing something else.

If I brought a MD x Jungle would I get a weird looking MD that tries to eat me when approached or a weird looking Jungle that tries to eat me when approached (guarentee that trait will stay with it:rolleyes:)

It's a tough one.

Ah just make it legal and be done with it so these people who like doing illegal stuff can start doing something else..

good idea, if you can't sell them and keep them on a licence, the people that are breeding these would be made to keep them, so maybe they wouldn't be in such a hurry to breed them in the first place.

good idea, if you can't sell them and keep them on a licence, the people that are breeding these would be made to keep them, so maybe they wouldn't be in such a hurry to breed them in the first place.

If only it was that simple. Truth is cross breeding is to easy, you only need two snakes, well one male and theoretically as many different females as you like. thus they proberbly wont command high prices, and as some one said may well be passed of as pure.

Last edited:
I don't see the problem as long as they are sold as cross breeds and not a pure breeds...
If so many people hate them, they wont sell. People will realise this and (should) stop breeding them.
Supply and demand...
Besides, its not as though there's a shortage of pure bred reptiles out there.

mate pull your head in, all it would cause is people selling crossbreeds as local specific species.

mate pull your head in, all it would cause is people selling crossbreeds as local specific species.

Did you not read my post?
I agree, if they start selling them as local specific species(i assume by this you mean pure breed) then sure, it becomes a problem.
But that isn't what this thread is about. This thread is about people advertising cross breeds as cross breeds.
Which I PERSONALLY (my opinion ;)) don't have a problem with.

Did you not read my post?
I agree, if they start selling them as local specific species(i assume by this you mean pure breed) then sure, it becomes a problem.
But that isn't what this thread is about. This thread is about people advertising cross breeds as cross breeds.
Which I PERSONALLY (my opinion ;)) don't have a problem with.

mate i was refering my comments to the goose that started this thread. he might as well said "lets stop people selling diamond pythons because i dont like them" people will always do pretty much as they wish, dont sit there and whinge about it.

Nay,
As long as they're sold as cross breeds ie 'jungles' / 'Darwins', who cares. It's not like they will ever be returned to the wild anyway.

Brilliant idea, if someone wants to sell hybrids they should have to advertise them a pure snakes, if they are sold as pure snakes everyone will think they are and there wont be any problems and the mods wouldnt need to keep deleting threads like this one.

Brilliant idea, if someone wants to sell hybrids they should have to advertise them a pure snakes, if they are sold as pure snakes everyone will think they are and there wont be any problems and the mods wouldnt need to keep deleting threads like this one.
Spoken like a true cross breeder.

What might be helpful would be if we had an accepted form of breeding documentation, like cat and dog pedigrees.
This could help buyers know if they are getting pure animals and locality details etc. If cross-breeding has happened buyers could make the choice to continue to try and produce a particular 'designer' snake.
Photos of parents would be included and probably microchipping as well.

Well all the laws, regs, rules and whatnot will not stop crossbreeding. There will always be customers for them because there are always new keepers coming on line who won't care or won't know the difference.

There are enough laws already. If you really want to protect the genetic pool of reptiles etc, start lobbying for land protection. IMHO everything else is a waste of time and merely spinning wheels and posturing. Once the reptile is bred in private hands, you are already altering its progenies genetic inheritance, crossbred or not. And once its taken from the wild, its worth diddlysquat to the genetic pool of wild animals. It is no longer locality assured because it is
only someones word.

If you are against crossbreeding etc, don't do it and advertise your progeny as purebred. Its only based on your word that its true anyway and on the word of whoever you got the parents from and so forth back infinitum.

Just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back