Anyone have a peacock?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missllama

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
does anyone on here keep or breed peacocks?
i have always thought they were gorgeous birds, i cant have them due to the lack of space but some day would love to!

what sort of needs do they have? what does breeding involve? and whats it like having them?

are they on permits here in aus?

would love to hear about them! there absolutely stunning birds

No, but I'd love to! Too bad we has dingoes here and it would have to be fully enclosed etc to keep them on our property etc etc... well it'd only *have* to be fully enclosed if you wanted to see them more than once the first day or two after you buy them :lol: Apart from that, I know not of how you would go about keeping/getting them, just that they're purdy :D :lol:

oh and if anyone does keep them, how much do they sell for around about? males and females?

No, but I'd love to! Too bad we has dingoes here and it would have to be fully enclosed etc to keep them on our property etc etc... well it'd only *have* to be fully enclosed if you wanted to see them more than once the first day or two after you buy them :lol: Apart from that, I know not of how you would go about keeping/getting them, just that they're purdy :D :lol:

yea wouldnt want a dingo getting a hold of one! i think there absolutely gorgeous and have always loved them just never known anyone to keep them so i thought i might ask!

lama they arent that expensive ,but they crap everywhere and dont shut up ...a lady in town had a few ,thought it was a good idea as she had the space and loved the look of the birds ..untill the noise drove her nuts ...she ended up selling them ..

I've heard through a mate that there is a small population of peacocks out Kenthurst way that have escaped from a breeders backyard. Not sure how true it is as he is known to spin some rubbish :lol:

There is also a population out (Kurrajong?) way that is actually there is they are quickly making themselves hated by crapping everywhere and wrecking havoc on peoples guttering systems by resting on them and breaking them.

So in short they crap, make alot of noise and can break things if allowed to roam free in your backyard. :p

When I was a kid we often used to visit a relatives dairy farm out side of Horsham and they kept peacocks for years. These birds were free ranging around the farm buildings and would come to the farm house for their morning feed. We used to chase them around the hay stack where they would roost and nest. Definitely beautiful birds and with a distinctive and loud cry. I think my mother still has some of the tail feathers she kept as souvenirs.

This family died with no airs and the diary in Horsham has been closed for decades.

Peacocks

hi i live in melbourne and there is a lady who has them around the corner. She sells them~ males $200 and females $100. They are very noisy especially in breeding season. Im getting a pair but im on a farm & dont have neighbours.

there used to be one in my back yard that was owned to the lady who sold the house to us he was there for lik,e 4 years than left but he was relly cool and relly big and they eat a lot

Neighbour in suburbia keeps birds and came home with a peacock one day that he found.
He actually built a ginormous birdhouse for it in the poinciana tree in his front yard! Can you imagine the size of the birdhouse (which it never went into BTW)? Anyway the bloody thing wandered up and down the street, jumping on top of my lizard pens in the yard, crapping all over the place and basically annoyed the hell out of everyone. So I complain to the council and they come around. He says to them that its just a feral one and nothing to do with him, meantime above his head is this palace of a bird house, like a metre square with its pitched roof and all, in the tree. They say there is nothing they can do....Grrr.

Things get much nastier in the spring when its starts screaming like a banshee during the night. Honest to God, you would have thought someone was getting murdered and it likes doing this on top of my carport right outside the bedroom window!!! I went down and told him, if I saw it again, it would be my new target with the bow and arrow or car or anything I could put my hands on and I would throw the dead body into his bloody birdhouse.
He found a new home somewhere for it that week.
Think twice if you have neighbours close and don't forget these bloody things will eat little lizards etc too.

Neighbour in suburbia keeps birds and came home with a peacock one day that he found.
He actually built a ginormous birdhouse for it in the poinciana tree in his front yard! Can you imagine the size of the birdhouse (which it never went into BTW)? Anyway the bloody thing wandered up and down the street, jumping on top of my lizard pens in the yard, crapping all over the place and basically annoyed the hell out of everyone. So I complain to the council and they come around. He says to them that its just a feral one and nothing to do with him, meantime above his head is this palace of a bird house, like a metre square with its pitched roof and all, in the tree. They say there is nothing they can do....Grrr.

Things get much nastier in the spring when its starts screaming like a banshee during the night. Honest to God, you would have thought someone was getting murdered and it likes doing this on top of my carport right outside the bedroom window!!! I went down and told him, if I saw it again, it would be my new target with the bow and arrow or car or anything I could put my hands on and I would throw the dead body into his bloody birdhouse.
He found a new home somewhere for it that week.
Think twice if you have neighbours close and don't forget these bloody things will eat little lizards etc too.

If its a feral non native bird take manners into your own hands, trap it and get rid of it.

There is a wild population in Avalon too. I agree with everyone else - despite their beauty, they are horribly noisy and messy.

Our neighbours keep a couple but I don't really hear them very often, we visited this farm named Oakdale I think & they had a couple of albino peacocks that were absolutely stunning, I will see if I can find the pics.

I've heard through a mate that there is a small population of peacocks out Kenthurst way that have escaped from a breeders backyard. Not sure how true it is as he is known to spin some rubbish :lol:

When I used to live up at Kenthurst there were peacocks that flew across the gully at certain times of the year.. we had one on our block for several days and they are pretty noisy. apparently there was someone on the northern side of the gully that kept a colony.. probably on cattai ridge road.

This was years ago and it wouldn't surprise me if there was a wild population existing around there these days. Where we lived was Hazeldean Place that is a dead end street that runs off Lawrence Rd off Porters Road. most of the places were 5 acre bush blocks that backed onto a reserve and gully that went down to Blue Gum Creek.

Last edited:
There is one that lives on our street (wild)on the sunny coast. has been there longer than we have, at least 8 years. they must do allright looking after themselves as there are plenty of dogs around. very tame, will eat out of your hand. Very pretty until he drops all his long feathers every year. Very noisy though i dont mind.

We had one dumped at our place a few years ago. They are terrible! Their craps are similar to a large dog's, except that dogs can't get on your roof. Seriously they crap absolutely everywhere and quite a lot :x noisy buggers too. Didn't take long for us to get rid of it.

Llama, the noise would drive you crazy!
And you cant keep them away as they fly quite well and tend to sit on your roof singing away and leaving a mountain of rock solid turd on the roof...
There is a guy here who has the albino ones, and last i asked he was hocking them off for $30-$40, and he says to lock them up good cos they seem to always escape and fly back to his house and he doesnt want them.

i also have heard that there are some at kenthurst. my uncle lives at quakers hill and whenever i go over there you can hear a peacock somewhere, my uncle said it doesnt belong to anyone it just walks around the streets, apparently it came from kenthurst but thats a fair distance for a peacock to travel. alot of people want it gone because its so annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back