Skinks as food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget (native) skinks! Catch some AHG's, worm them, then breed them for (or atleast try and find someone that does this), that way you are making good use of the introduced pests that we have so commonly around our houses etc... All you would really have to do is put them in an inescapable tank and they should be a walk in the park to look after as they have infiltrated nearly every home in Aus and thrive with seemingly no real needs or demands, except the presence of food and a place to hide/peoples tables, lounges and pillows etc to crap on!....lol

They're not legally available for sale, and in Victoria it's not legal to collect them. People who (illegally) use them collect them. I think the department generally turns a blind eye to this, but I think they've been known to prosecute, and they've certainly indicated that they might. You can generally get them started on small fish, and if you do have something which refuses anything but lizards it's best to use scent. Some people keep a pet skink or two and use them for scenting.

Ishah: We don't have Asian Vermin Geckoes established in Melbourne. It's extremely illegal to keep them in Victoria, with good reason. If you were going to breed lizards for food (which would be illegal) it would be better to do it with a local skink, although that would still be illegal.

I know Sdaji, I was just offering a random alternative if they were to do it illegally regardless of the laws etc... (You can kinda tell I wasnt really serious by the way I was suggesting to keep them etc ;) ) Only reason I was even suggesting AHG over natives, is because I couldnt care less about a pest reptile being bred for food, but native reptiles being bred for food, Im more inclined to disagree with...:) Scenting is definately the better option by far!

I was unaware of the Melbournites not having the pleasure of having their belongings "christened" by the lovely pest us QLDers know of all too well... I would have thought they'd of hitched a ride there by now...;)

obtain some shed bits of skin from a bluetoungue and wash your pinkies in water then rub the bits of blue tongue skin on them , make sure the bluey does not have mites or any other nasties.

I was unaware of the Melbournites not having the pleasure of having their belongings "christened" by the lovely pest us QLDers know of all too well... I would have thought they'd of hitched a ride there by now...;)

We don't have them in Sydney either, whilst the odd one turns up every now and then, as do toads, they have not been able to get a foot hold anywhere, might be the cold winters.... In general alot of skink eaters will point blank refuse geckos anyway.

We don't have Asian Vermin Geckoes established in Melbourne. It's extremely illegal to keep them in Victoria, with good reason. If you were going to breed lizards for food (which would be illegal) it would be better to do it with a local skink, although that would still be illegal.

just a question....

would it be legal for someone in QLD to breed AHG for a food source and then sell these frozen AHG's interstate?

Im not suggesting it would be econimically viable or that there would be much of a market for them.. Im just curious in the legal aspects of it. cheers.

red belly as you keep a few elapids i thought elapid babies are almost indestructable when it comes to feeding time ?

I dont keep elapids full time ...Kupper ,I look after ones that cant be released straight away either due to illness or injury or had a to bigger feed to move on at that moment ...so am not familiar with feeding young bubs ,but there are plenty on here that can help out in that situation ..(the "to bigger feed "is usually gutso carpet snakes but have had a bts that had a huge feed:lol:)

Just get fence skink, get it to drop its tail, and use that. Put it in the freezer between times.
Or
someone suggested simmering in a little water until its reduced and freezing the water and using that to dip the pinkie or whatever in. you can keep that water in the freezer too between times.

Just get fence skink, get it to drop its tail, and use that. Put it in the freezer between times.
Or
someone suggested simmering in a little water until its reduced and freezing the water and using that to dip the pinkie or whatever in. you can keep that water in the freezer too between times.

mmmm lizard stock... :lol:

Why breed ahg's? Thats like saying breed cane toads its highly illegal, your better off if you do have them localy just catch them, If I need scenting I just walk out the back grab one and make it drop its tail ;)

denny, do you specificaly need skinks? fish might be a better option.

just a question....

would it be legal for someone in QLD to breed AHG for a food source and then sell these frozen AHG's interstate?

Im not suggesting it would be econimically viable or that there would be much of a market for them.. Im just curious in the legal aspects of it. cheers.

No, apparently not. It's not legal to bring frozen Cane Toads into Victoria either. I was wondering about the same thing, although I was thinking about catching them rather than breeding them. If you could be sure they were going to be parasite free, I'd imagine they'd be worth $2-$5 each (a mouse of the same weight is about $1-$2, or more from a pet shop). Other than the legal issue, the main problem would be the parasite issue, and the fact that few people would want them in any decent quantity. If it was going to be a significant economic project (thousands of times larger than it actually would be :p ) you could probably convince them to cut the red tape, but for such a tiny venture, it's not worth anyone's time.

i am going to try getting them on live pinky mice see if that works. What do you all think? Oh and please no its illegal rubbish

Denny many breeders use live pinkies and fuzzy mice to start off a feeding reponse in young snakes! I even use a live one to set off a feeding response in adults if they are going on a hunger strike! I know its illegal but i would rather do that then see a snake slowly fade away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back