Burn on Beardie baby

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tehlia

Not so new Member
Reaction score
"Vitti" has a burn on his belly from a heat rock. Against my better judgement I still went ahead a put on in for my 4 week. (waiting for CHE to arive). I was warned, my instinicts telling me not to get one, now learnt lesson. :oops: Any suggestions to help with the pain. I have some numbing gel wich I use?

Poor little thing. I don't know how to help-might need a vet to check it seeing as it's just a baby.
Just wondering if the heat rock was on a thermostat?

wow. i was sorely hoping this wouldn't happen when i read your earlier thread. very sorry 2 hear it did. can't be much help on the burns though unfortunately, but i'm guessing there is probably burn cream available somewhere. sorry 2 hear it.

if its a bad burn get some silverzine cream however my coastal got burnt and i listened to one person i can trust who has helped me right through with her being burnt and i never got silverzine cream and she is almost back to herself.

After noticing him sitting on his belly on rock with all fours in air, moved the probe & temp was 40c. Have managed to see burn, only tiny and he has just managed to find his water bowl and sitting in it..

"Vitti" has a burn on his belly from a heat rock. Against my better judgement I still went ahead a put on in for my 4 week. (waiting for CHE to arive). I was warned, my instinicts telling me not to get one, now learnt lesson. :oops: Any suggestions to help with the pain. I have some numbing gel wich I use?
:evil:

40C isn't hot enough to even begin to burn a beardeds belly. So either i was hotter then that or it isn't a burn from the heat rock.

40C isn't hot enough to even begin to burn a beardeds belly. So either i was hotter then that or it isn't a burn from the heat rock.

Maybe the air temp was 40deg.
Are you sure that's not hot enough to burn? The beardy's only 4 weeks old.

Think of how hot the desert sand and rocks would get with the sun beating down on them! Much hotter than 40 degrees, the ambient temperature climbs higher than that. As has been said i doubt that 40 degrees would burn a beardies belly. Something is faulty along the way I dare say.

So then maybe this thread should be a sticky called "Reasons why you shouldn't use a heat rock"

it may have had a hot spot but you cannot blame the keeper for the problem as these heat rocks are packaged and advertised in such a way that you would never expect a problem, they way they say it you would think they are perfect, and as for the beardy if it is only a slight burn then just keep an eye on it if it is much worse you may have to seek help maybe pm da griz and get some info off him

Ugh.....the poor thing would have been better off with no heat!
If you don't have a thermostat then don't use a heat rock simple

I can't believe you knew it was probably going to happen &
still decided to do it anyways :rolleyes: hmm

I don't think thats fair. Experienced keepers know that heatrocks are not reliable and can be unstable if they happen to read enough posts about them but that doesn't mean Tehlia 'knew' it was going to happen. No doubt it was bought in good faith that it would do it advertised job. If you want to blame someone, blame the manufacturer for putting out a faulty product.
Maree

it may have had a hot spot but you cannot blame the keeper for the problem as these heat rocks are packaged and advertised in such a way that you would never expect a problem, they way they say it you would think they are perfect, and as for the beardy if it is only a slight burn then just keep an eye on it if it is much worse you may have to seek help maybe pm da griz and get some info off him
Thanks all. It took me days (yum & ahing) if to get a rock. But my instinicts kept saying no. It still believe no one should use them I had a temp probe sitting on the rock in different positions while in the tank with the baby but he must have jumped on one of "those hot spots".
Yes, I agree with Maree too. the manufacturer should put a warning on the product.

Now another problem. Vitti is walking around like he is drunk. I know I gave him grape juice this morning(not long enough to develop into wine) ;) but somethink looks wrong. He is trying to catch crickets but stumbles (a bit like his mum with the MS), maybe he has my genes :lol:

I don't think thats fair. Experienced keepers know that heatrocks are not reliable and can be unstable if they happen to read enough posts about them but that doesn't mean Tehlia 'knew' it was going to happen. No doubt it was bought in good faith that it would do it advertised job. If you want to blame someone, blame the manufacturer for putting out a faulty product.
Maree
Maree she even said she shouldnt but went against her own gut instinct and she had been warned ...that to me sounds like she knew but thought stuff it and now she says she has learnt her lesson at her babys expense ....:rolleyes:...petshops will SELL ANYTHING to make a dollar its up to you as the new owner to do your homework not just say oh well its the petshop or whoever elses product is to be blamed ..YOU DID THE FINAL PURCHASE YOU ARE THE ONE TO BE RESPONSIBLE

OK all, please dont wrap me over the knuckles, I feel bad enough. In my life my instinicts have been right, just my heart gets in the way, I need to toughen up. I really appreciate all replys and its good to have all feedback, we live and learn from our mistakes unfortunatley sometimes at others expense.

Is this the only accessible heat source?
If so where do you all think the burn came from?
I am always reading and hearing not to use heat rocks as they are unsafe.
BUT what you are forgetting is that the heat is coming from inside the rock so the area between the beardies belly and the rock could easily have heated to much more than 40C

Tehlia if you wanted the cottonwool wrap up soft approach response...then maybe you should have pm'd a personal one to Maree..most dont feel sorry for you, their own concern is with your beardie and how silly its owner was ..Iam glad now you can see your mistakes and I hope your little one makes a 100% recovery..

Tehlia if you wanted the cottonwool wrap up soft approach response...then maybe you should have pm'd a personal one to Maree..most dont feel sorry for you, their own concern is with your beardie and how silly its owner was ..Iam glad now you can see your mistakes and I hope your little one makes a 100% recovery..

Thanks Redbellybite for your honesty. No, I dont want the cotton wool approach and no I dont expect anyone to feel sorry for me and Yes it was my mistake.....My main concern is my "Vitti" to live a long and healthy life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back