Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NanzOr

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all

i am buying my first carpet soon and i was just wondering what is the friendliest and the easiest to take care of and all personal opinions are accepted.:lol::oops::rolleyes:

i prefer coastals but it depends on what patterns and size youre after. coastals can get to bout 3m. I think temperaments are pretty good apart from jungles

I definatly recommend a coastal my coastals temp is awesome and you can get some really nice looking ones too

Thanks guys your a big help and thats what i need
so do you think coastals are good for first pets and what do you think about diamonds

i have had both and I would much prefer coastals. Diamonds semm to have more health issues. Plus with coastals theyre are lots of different patterns and colours to choose from

I'd recommend an Inland carpet. They're quiet, easy to care for and have beautiful colours and patterns.
In my experience coastal carpets can be quite snappy when they're young, and looks-wise they can appear rather pedestrian compared to other carpets.
But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the search function on this site is your friend :)

I don't know about diamond pythons but I know coastals are supposed to be really nice as first snakes.
Although I've also heard that they tend to eat a fair bit when they grow up. And they can grow to 3 metres like mfreud said.

Coastal over Diamonds. Easier to take care of apparently. My first snake was a coastal and she is the GREATEST and I do mean GREATEST snake I own. Never bitten, never struck, always friendly with anyone, is now an excellent feeder. And kinda cute too I suppose.... :)

Of course you could go for a Carpet/Diamond (natural intergrade) and get the best of both worlds.

Bredli smaller then a coastal, pretty placid and they have very nice colours. l Got her as a hatchie and I haven't been bitten by her yet (over a year now) she only struck at me a few times the first week I had her. But my male bredli was bitey as a hatchie but he has some size to him now and he has stopped.

i got my first 2 coastals yesterday

i bought my first two coastals yesterday, they are a bit snappy but once you handle them a bit it ok mine are settling down after one nite of off and on handling just need to let them know your not harming them and be gentle

there is no single answer to this question. alot of people recommend a certain snake based on their own experiences only,some that are mentioned to be friendly i have had pairs that i swear just came out of hells gates not eggs, they did grow out of it but and become friendly but it took a few years. Others say some snakes are nasty but i have some that are fantastic.

Pic your snake of choice, considering size you want is a big thing, and then try hunt down a placid one if you don't want to work with a snappy python. Nothing to say a snake can't be nice in one collection and then come to yours and change. really comes down to luck of the draw, just pic something you really want not what others tell you they like (of course listen to advice like don't get a 5m long scrub python as a first snake).

Get a Port Mac if you like Diamonds, much hardier and have wonderful temperaments! :)

all snakes are differant ive only ever owned 1 bitey snake and when the 6 months was up i sold him i always check the animals and make sure they arent bitey or cage defensive all my snakes are pets and get handled by younglings so i cant have bitey animals.

the only exception i would make to this is a serious cracker of a b&g jungle or gtp

Obviously one that doesnt bite.IMO any Morelia python can be the friendliest,some are just sychos but generally most are placid.My male Darwin was a bit edgy every time i went near it,now its puppy tame.I did have a yearling Port Mac python and his name was snappy,everything that moved near him he would have a lunge,bit of handling,now his dog tame.But there is some out there,that are snappy all the time no matter how much effort you put into trying to calm it down,remember snakes dont like being handled,they just tolerate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back