Ways to convince your parents for your first snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainbow-Serpent

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about me, I already have my first snake, but now my little sister (who is pixy05 on here), Would like her first snake, shes decided on a spotted python, but we're not sure how to get mum to say yes, any tips?:lol:

Forgivness is easier to get than permission ;)

My mum was very anti-snake until she saw a hatchiling mac. Now she begs me to get more!

just keep asking untill she says yes.

and also your mum should know if she says yes to one theres going to be more there addictive

my mum has deffinatly changed since my first ever snake.

my 7ft coastal can be pretty cage deffensive and my mum goes in there and cleans it with the snake sitting on top of its hide and she could easily strike and tag mum .

and my dad has changed the most when i first got into snakes he wanted nothing to do with it now he is inlove with them and wants more to . so its easy for me i just need money and a cage:)

tell her to play the favouritism card, lol! :p

i'd say bringing the first snake into a parents house would be harder then the second,...mine blankly refused and i had to wait till i was old enough to move out. :(

Ok this is what you do. Tell your sister to ask if she can have the snake, if your mum says no then tell your sister to say this "But she got one! You always play favourite with her, why don't you love me anymore Mum?" and then she has to storm off into her room crying for extra effect.

Stop plotting to torture your mum. The only reason she is going to say no is if she believes you arnt going to take care of it, which most kids dont.
Ask her straight out, if its a no, get over it and wait till later to ask again. Im sure its just a one week fad that will pass and she'll decide she wants a psp or something else instead.

For me, regardless of animal species, it has always been a case of winning over one parent, the easier "more-forgiving" parent ;)

Sure, my family are all petrified of snakes and aren't animals lovers in any sense (strange how I turned out lol) but I still have my snakies, fish - yea, big battles there :rolleyes: and pittie whom I love more than life itself :D

Just make sure you respect your parents feelings ie if they're afraid of snakes don't go shoving a python in their face ;), and try the negotiation and responsibility card ie "I'll take full responsibility for their care, keep them confined and out of your way, etc..."

Best of luck to you both :)

Cheers,

Thalia.

Ask for a croc first and let them argue you down to a childrens python. Once you have one herp its easy to get the next 50 :)

Simple in this situation.

Bigger sister got 1 so why can't I?
See ya love her more than me.
I am sick of being treated differently.
Next time I speak to the Psychologist at school I am going to inform them exactly how this makes me feel.

Ooops already been said....OK

Last edited:
my mum didnt want a snake in the house. they way i got around was actually just ask her y? she told me cos they bite and there poisonous blah blah. so i laughed at her and then sat her down and told her the truth. i then took her online and showed her the snake i was getting ect ect. and then it was all good. the only thing that i told i white lie about what how big they would grow. lol :)

tell your mum it will teach her much needed life skills. like responsibility, accountability etc. snakes are much cleaner and owner friendly than alot of animals. compare cleaning up dog pee/poo to snake pee/poo. they dont often shed hair (none of my snakes ever do) and if it turns out to be a fad she could most likely sell the snake for what she bought it for, unlike a puppy which is hard to get rid of when its a dog.

Haha,
buy first ask questions later....

no really, show your mum that its safe and you will look after it properly but dont push the issue,...

then buy her some chocolates or flowers...

and never let it get out by accident (big mistake)

good luck

i just ask ask and ask but now ive got 3 my mum wants a big snake but doesnt want to hold or touuch it lol but shes into them

move out and get ur first snake and then wen ur mum is missing u soooo much she will want you to come back so bad she will even say yes to the snake

buy a juvie spotted python but tell mum its a legless lizard,by the time she realises u say woops i was tricked,lol,my olds dont like me buying new stuff,so i just supprise them,i started buying toyota landcruisers to do up,so now im getting my 7th one,that concerns them more so i can keep building my collection with no issue,i need to sell some cars now,lol,im sure your mum will see reason if one of you has a snake already,good luck

Don't worry about me, I already have my first snake, but now my little sister (who is pixy05 on here), Would like her first snake, shes decided on a spotted python, but we're not sure how to get mum to say yes, any tips?:lol:

just a thought, but if she is able to get one, why not get another Jungle instead of a spotted, that way when their old enough you can breed them, you can sell the babys and make some money to repay your mum for all the costs like feeding, heating, ect :p

My parents were dead-set against snakes and were freaked out when I told them I wanted a python :shock:. I slowly and gently kept the subject open by providing positive facts to owning and keeping a python. I also showed them how much it meant to me by saving money for it.

Unfortunately they still didnt like the idea but when I rang mum from the reptile breeders saying I had put a lovely little Murray Darling Carpet Python hatchie on layby, she wasnt happy! :( I thought if I rang before coming home, that gave them a little more time to talk or vent. ;)

Snakey was on layby for a few months and I visited him twice a week to feed him and just hold him. I think that the layby period, besides allowing me to get all the cash together, gave them time to 'get use' to the idea before I brought him home. My parents were still upset when I brought Snakey and the heatmat home and set him up in my room but they took it much better than I thought. :D

This worked for me, but I wouldnt recommend it for all situations. Some parents might take it very badly. :?

Now I've got Snakey in a full sized enclosure in my room. I lock it (for their 'peace of mind'...LOL). I tend to his feeding and cleaning and they have nothing to do with him but are getting use to him being around.

My parents have come a long way and the other day mum even bought a large freezer container to put rats in the freezer as Snakey is growing fast. :D :D :D

If your sister can show that she's mature enough to care for a small python and is dedicated enough to tend to its needs (including financial), that can only help show much she wants one. I hope this helps, good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back