Cane toad found in backyard of Cranbourne house

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure the amphibian research centre gets the odd one here and there, they come down in fruit boxes.

Per

Moose I have some of the biggest toads at my place will get some pics up ...they come out and eat my dog biscuits HUGE ...

hope they dont take up permanant residence i have a bad enough time with the dog playing and befriending pobblebonk frogs let alone a cane toad

I had two call outs this year for toads.....both were people that brought them back from QLD!!!

I live in Cranbourne and that's a bit of a shock, well done to Shane for getting strait on to it, it could have been tragic for our botanic gardens.
when i was a teenager i would often here of GTF's turning up at the VIC market found in crates of bananas etc.

Moose I have some of the biggest toads at my place will get some pics up ...they come out and eat my dog biscuits HUGE ...

i agree with you mate... the ones in my backyard and ones at work are fat and huge.... no wonder there's no reptiles of any kind in my area...

seen 5 baby ones bout 1 1/2hour ago as i walking home, managed to grab 3 and drowned em in coke...

works great!!

They might get down to about Sydney, maybe... but Victoria will never have resident Cane Toad populations. Northern WA is going to be in a lot of trouble in the near future. Let's hope the Oenpellis and mainland Rough-scaled Pythons manage to hang on!

These are a common site at my place ...this size wont be eaten by a elapid ..its the elapid that is at risk getting eaten ,this size they could suck up a snake like spagettiiiiii! I really hope they dont get a hold down in NSW because you guys in Vic wont be that safe ,these bloody things survive through cold weather ..we get temps of 0 here ,frost on the ground and you can find these toads burrowed in some log or they get underneath pot plants ..fingers crossed for our southern cousins but dont hold your breath!
DSCF1936.jpg

DSCF1945.jpg

DSCF1939.jpg

least to say ,these fella's wont be getting to my dog biscuits anymore....

its a shame really because apparently they make god pets , another fault of man

They might get down to about Sydney, maybe... but Victoria will never have resident Cane Toad populations. Northern WA is going to be in a lot of trouble in the near future. Let's hope the Oenpellis and mainland Rough-scaled Pythons manage to hang on!

Unless changing weather patterns permit its probably not a problem for a while. No reason to be complacent though. I find that the ones i pick up all die within a few week. I would love to have someone to take them to who wanted to do work in that area.

i live in north ueensland and u wouldnt believe the amount wwe get up here there breed in our swimming pool and we have ti use twice as much chlorine for it to have any affect on them at all

this weekend is "TOAD DAY OUT" in North Qld. Based on "snake whacking day" from the simpsons. A community event that has been embraced by communities up this way. All toads are euthanised humanely and must be alive when taken to various drop-off points. I think there are prizes(?) for most collected, largest toad etc. etc. It is held on the w'end of Earth Hour so locals can power-down, get outside and collect taods. Some will be turned into high grade fertiliser others donated to JCU for the biology dept. This is a great concept and could become a national event if the bloody things keep advancing.:D

its a shame really because apparently they make god pets , another fault of man
They are very laid back ,they just dont give a rats wether your there or not ..easy to catch to ...and one quick sharp blow to the head and its lights out ..but for every 1 I get there are hundreds I miss:cry:...as far as pets go ,if your into U.G.L.Y then you cant go past these things;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back