Taping Staffy ears for show

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not just for puppies!

Hi Julie

I'm sure you'll be glad to know that there's a human version of what you're doing to your puppies- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbinding

It's so much more humane than cropping the foot, and doesn't hurt a bit. All you need is a few bandages while the feet are still squishy and undeveloped.

Probably too late for you, but I thought I'd publish the link in case you have kids with feet that aren't quite the breed standard.

ok............ im not doing anythin inhuman to the puppies EARS a bit of tape on the ears for a couple of weeks is not inhuman.. hello

I think there is nothing wrong with taping ears, if I ever had an amstaff I would do the same thing. It could also possibly help prevent ear problems, as being a higher set there is more airflow, so less chance of a ear infection to set in due to moist conditions.

For all those woman who are complaining about it, I suggest you stop wearing makeup as its the same deal. You are modifying yourself in a non harmful way to make yourself look better, I don't see anyone complaining about that.

For all those woman who are complaining about it, I suggest you stop wearing makeup as its the same deal. You are modifying yourself in a non harmful way to make yourself look better, I don't see anyone complaining about that.

I am one of the women complaining, and I don't wear make up, nor do I use chemical based shampoo or products used on animals to test for suitability. I have never worn make up, never felt the need for being "modified". I have an ability to accept things, and appreciate them for what they are naturally, no matter WHAT they look like.

What'll be next?? Lip piercings or nose rings for pythons??

Each to their own, I see nothing wrong with taping ears.

I am one of the women complaining, and I don't wear make up, nor do I use chemical based shampoo or products used on animals to test for suitability. I have never worn make up, never felt the need for being "modified". I have an ability to accept things, and appreciate them for what they are naturally, no matter WHAT they look like.

What'll be next?? Lip piercings or nose rings for pythons??

Im curious, do you tie your hair up or get it cut? wear a bra? wear shoes? wear clothes even?

If you do, then you are not accepting yourself naturally (as you put it) and you are changing yourself to suit an accepted standard.
God forbid you do something painless to change you natural looks like cut your hair, hold your 'assets' up or even cover yourself instead of wearing your natural birthday suit to the local shops!!

A bit of tape to a dogs ears is not inhumane.......... enough of the bleeding hearts routine, its not a kitten getting thrown out of a window, its tape for gods sake!

You actually believe you can compare the permanent, physical manipulation of a dog's appearence by a human to fit unecessary human standards to a human making the conscious decision to temporarily and superficially manipulate their own appearance?
Are you joking? Or do you not have the intellectual capacity to understand the difference?

Im curious, do you tie your hair up or get it cut? wear a bra? wear shoes? wear clothes even?

If you do, then you are not accepting yourself naturally (as you put it) and you are changing yourself to suit an accepted standard.
God forbid you do something painless to change you natural looks like cut your hair, hold your 'assets' up or even cover yourself instead of wearing your natural birthday suit to the local shops!!

A bit of tape to a dogs ears is not inhumane.......... enough of the bleeding hearts routine, its not a kitten getting thrown out of a window, its tape for gods sake!

I do not wear a bra, I wear clothes, but not for appearance or fashion , my clothes are only to keep things legal and are somewhat minimalist to the point they are functional, and serve the purpose of modesty, incase you hadn't noticed, anyone choosing to go totally natural to the shops would be arrested. I conform to no-ones 'standards', and I see no reason for anyone else to neither, but that's a whole new thread, sorry, not discussing that here. Yes, I tie my hair up, with one hair tie, only when it's hot, to be more comfortable, not for aesthetics or fashion or appearance, but because it's practical in the heat.

And I have a challenge for you............ tape YOUR earss forward for a few weeks against a natural lie, and lets see if you say it's not uncomfortable. I am not a 'bleeding heart', I just care about animals feelings and how they are betrayed by fashion concious yuppies or snobs, in order to have an animal that conforms with HUMAN set standards. There is no need, and I will never see the reason for it, it's pointless.

Enough of the unfeeling fashion concious thing already too.............. try the tape challenge I set, I doubt you'll be in favour of it then!

You actually believe you can compare the permanent, physical manipulation of a dog's appearence by a human to fit unecessary human standards to a human making the conscious decision to temporarily and superficially manipulate their own appearance?
Are you joking? Or do you not have the intellectual capacity to understand the difference?

Do you not have the intellectual capacity to understand breed manipulation has been going on for hundreds and hundreds of years? Selective breeding and manipulation by humans has been going on for a long time, if it weren't for that you would have noone of your beloved breeds as they are today.

Taping is nothing to get your panties in a knot over, it does no harm to the animal whatsoever. I am probably the biggest animal lover / human hater here, and yes I will challenge anyone who doubts that. If I thought it in any way cruel of course I would be against it. I love the breeds of yesteryear and it upsets me seeing them all go downhill. Look at all the working breeds, for eg German Sheps, Rottweilers, Boxers, Dobermans, they are now nothing compared to how they were in the past, and I can guarantee don't work as well either.

Thats the last I will have to say on the issue as I really don't feel like reading through post after post of insults being thrown at me when I was merely suggesting my opinion. Classic APS at it again! Can't have a decent debate without the name calling. :D Yes directed at you Vat, grow up you child. :)

Last edited:
vixen, one doesnt need an intellectual capacity to know that inhumane practices took place till they were banned. one has only to look at the plight of the english bulldog, which was bred for such short stubby noses and bulk across the shoulders that they now almost have no quality of life - their grossly short noses creates narrowed, creased air passages, making breathing that much harder for the dog, coupled with the broad chest, heart conditions prevail.......... but of course, the breed HAD to conform to human standards, generations since have suffered, all in the name of breed standard, created by so-called lovers of the breed (more like lovers of what they could make the breed conform through selective breeding).
Tail docking was practiced for many years, and people advocated "it didn't harm the dog", no, not harm, but hurt and pain, confusion, betrayal of trust, etc etc. I se echoes of this here now...... it doesn't harm the dog.

Horses in times gone by, for the sake of "fashion" was forced to endure what they called "bearing reins", whick locked the horses head so high, it restricted their breathing, and so resulted in winded, broken animals that were promptly sent to the knackers yard, all because the ladies liked their horses heads to be up high, looking FASHIONABLE.

I could go on and on, but it's ovbiously not worth it, I guess we'll always be stuck with people willing to inflict discomfort or pain on their animals for the sake of man - made conformity. It's the animals themselves I feel so sorry for. They have no choice.

I wonder if maybe it's a little ironic to be arguing for animals to be left in their "natural" state?

My neighbours parents used to tape his ears back as a baby and no harm was done :)

My neighbour used to get his ears tapped back as a baby and no harm was done :)

Thats nothing.In primary school many years ago there was a kid in our class that went by the name of wingnut.From memory he ended up getting his ears literally pinned back. :shock:

As far as juliedamian condoning the taping of puppies ears for a week or three I can now see thanks to the wisdom spouted in this thread that she will indeed be burning in hell for the rest of eternity,perhaps even alongside those other cruel people in this thread that insist on sitting on poor defenceless high horses. :rolleyes:

As far as juliedamian condoning the taping of puppies ears for a week or three I can now see thanks to the wisdom spouted in this thread that she will indeed be burning in hell for the rest of eternity,perhaps even alongside those other cruel people in this thread that insist on sitting on poor defenceless high horses

haha classic...

good god woman, do you have a partner? i so i feel sorry for the poor bugger. if not i understand why. all natural NO BRA, not shaving, no make up, ect do you have any pride in yourself at all. im sorry but a bra to keep thing perky and make up to feel good somethimes and SHAVING is a GOOD thing.

NO BRA :shock: I bet you don't have a D-cup! Try running in a D-cup, I bet that would change your mind about wearing a bra!

No one is saying they're not wearing a bra. I don't know how people can possibly compare wearing a bra to putting tape on their dogs ears. Perhaps a closer comparison would be taping your child's ears, but even that is rather far off the mark.

To me it sounds uncomfortable, even if it isn't painful. It's not done for the animal's benefit but the humans. I can't object on those grounds though, I breed rats for food and I don't think the rats enjoy it. I'm undecided, I don't know what the process is, but I think it's fair to say the animal would prefer not to have tape on its ears. I'm interested to know how the tape stays on and if the dogs try to get it off. I've put reindeer horns on my poor dog for Christmas and they only last about three seconds. Of course that's not as stable as tape but the wiping action he does with his claws I'm sure would be done over and over again trying to get tape off.

Tail docking was practiced for many years, and people advocated "it didn't harm the dog", no, not harm, but hurt and pain, confusion, betrayal of trust, etc etc. I se echoes of this here now...... it doesn't harm the dog.

A 4-8 day old pup "Feels" all that you say? Betrayal of trust? Confusion? Are you serious?

Who does the pup feel betrayed by? Its Mum? It certainly wouldnt be the Breeder in question as at that age that have had Very little contact with human - So there needs to be a trust built before you can break it. There eyes arent even open.

Confusion? I dont think they really are given an opportunity to "Feel" confused, its straight out of the basket, chop,pressure, some bandage, some use clotters, and straight back in with mum..

Hurt and Pain - I would describe it as discomfort. Which results in alot of tender licking and cuddles from mum.

So all the working breeds out there that require their tails docked to some extent, wether it be a full dock, 1/2 dock, 3/4 dock etc you are saying is unneccessary? For human "Fashion"?
I dont think its really fashionable seeing a working dog swimming next to a boat all of a sudden get dragged under and his tail ripped off due to it being caught in a propellor of a boat. No, Not fashionable at all..

Tail docking is very practical for some - not all, but some.

I suppose it would just be best to take PETA's Stance and just wipe out every domesticated "Slave" oh sorry i mean "Pet" in there great extermination plan. That way we wont be "Hurting" any doggies or kitties "Feelings".

What a joke.

haha there's no point argueing with the animal cruelty fanatics... they are blinded by emotion, their thinking ability has nothing to do with it. if they were actually using their brain they would know their is NO long or short term pain to the animals.

im all for animals be treated with love and care and i hate to see an animal in pain or being treated inhuman but a bit of tape... come on people use you brain. it'd be like tieing your hair up every day. WOW so shocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back