Longneck Turtles....advise needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

koubee

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have a longneck turtle in care at the moment (i'm a wildlife carer), that had his leg amputated due to having it's leg crushed and then having an infestation of maggots. (remember this is a wild turtle)
Ay way he had his op to remove his dodgy leg and now i have him for his recovery.
I am ment to be drydocking him but i am a little confused on how to feed him.
I was of the understanding that turtles ate and pooped in the water.
I've tried to get this turtle to eat but he won't.
Any advise on how i can encourage him to eat out of water?

sounds like that would of hurt?
yer they prefer to be in the water to eat mabe (wildcard)
bec its a long neck my short neck sometime when he eats only puts his head in the water to eat.
is it his front of back leg?

Get a small dish but make sure its not big enough for the turtle to get into fill it up with water and put the food in there and then put it down where the turtle is living atm once the turtle finds it he will start to drink and eat from this container give it a try.

Even though it needs to be drydocked they have to be in water to eat. Whether you need to feed it straight away depends on its condition. If its a bit lean then I would feed in a tub of water once a day. This won't cause any problems with wound healing if its only in water for half an hour a day.

Koubee,

Don't put the turtle into water. You will risk start an infection that will kill the turtle in 18-24 months.

Email me and I will advise you on how to set up your long term dry-dock.

It's his front R leg Cadwallader. He seems to be coping quite well at the moment. It'll be interesting to see how he swims. I will post some pics a little later.
Also got another turtle in, but this poor little fella has been painted with a varnish of types. Hopefully it hasn't effected him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back