What to get

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougj91

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have just bought myself a 4ft fish tank, I have been looking for a while now as to what to put in it... I still can't make a decision. If i had the money i would have one of everything. lol

so... can I please get some peoples thoughts.
I want something that is relatively easy to care for to start with... that handles well... and looks appealing.

Thanks in advance,
Doug

red phase beardies. if i went to someones house they'd be one of the first things to take my eyes

are you thinking aquatic? if so turtles are relatively cheap and easy to look after, not to mention adorable. if not yea id go beardies

i would go beardies.

not exsactly easy. maybe netteds or mountains?

Go beardies, they are easy!!

I have my new little man in a 3 foot fish tank (a friend donated it). Just have a screen lid on the top so he can't get out. He's only the length of my hand (tail included) so no escaping likely anyway. I got my fiance to wire up the light fittings onto a piece of wood that fitted at one end covering 1/3 of top of the tank. So a couple of heat bulbs and a UV bulb.

I'm using paper towel for substrate as it's easier to clean up after him and don't have to worry about him eating any part of it. May change to a sand later on down the track, when he's bigger.

The only thing I find with the fish tank is keeping the heat in. But I found a towel around the warm end holds the heat in really well now. So until I find a permanant solution the towel stays.

Photos attached are of my new little man spike, and his tank set up. Pic was taken early, have niced it up since then. But shows how basic you can start with. They don't need heaps.

Attachments

• DSC03180.jpg
    DSC03180.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC03182.jpg
    DSC03182.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC03024.jpg
    DSC03024.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 50
Fishtank? not to good to handle, but how about eels. they're pretty cool to watch, and easy to look after.

hey,
thanks everyone,
I have heard that beardies like to run from you? is that true... coz there kinda fast

Beardies can be fast. But the more time you spend with them, holding them they calm down. My little spike who is in above pics is great! He'll sit calmly on my hand now. But if sitting on the couch he likes to explore and run up the couch etc. But he does stop and it quite easy to pic up. I wouldn't recomend letting them go at all while outside though.

As they get older they kind of become more lazy and are more likely to sit on you and not move too much.

But on the lizard scene I can tell you they are probably one of the slower ones! I have marbled geckos, they are super speedy, and have heard so are water dragons.

beardies are awesome, so are netteds. beardies get very tame and are probably the best 'handling' lizard, and they look cool. my netteds are only small so are still skittish, but they are ok for handling as well when older, and they are much smaller than beardies so you could get a trio or more of them in a tank like that (watch out for males with males, it can lead to fighting). or even pygmy beardies, just like a beardie, only smaller...

awesome,
well i am now thinking bout getting a pair of hachie lawsons and hoping that its a male and female.

Get a Trio of Angle Headed Dragons, there a great dragon to keep they only get 35cm TL, the average price range for a hatchies are $70-$100, Sub Adults $150, They are quiet easy to keep, feed them crickets. roached, earthworm, mealworms really anthing that moves they will eat, in the hotter months you have to spray there enclosure 2-3 times a day in the colder months only 3 times a week. They look great to. Here's a couple of pictures of there enclosure and my Female and Male.

Attachments

• b @ w trees 002.jpg
    b @ w trees 002.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 31
  • b @ w trees 006.jpg
    b @ w trees 006.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 34
  • b @ w trees 005.jpg
    b @ w trees 005.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 30
  • P3310459.jpg
    P3310459.jpg